ForumsNews and FeedbackBetter way for Merit worthy comments to be noticed.

11 5599
IceClaw247
IceClaw247
843 posts
Jester

During my time on AG I have tried to consistently write helpful comments and suggestions to give back to the community. Merits are very special things that I know are rewarded for extremely helpful game reviews or prizes in a competition etc. In Gantics thread on merits he says:

After you post your comment, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a few years. The moderators take time to read through the comments of new games and old games. They cannot read everything at once. If you keep writing good comments, you may get one. Merits are not guaranteed.

This extremely variable time limit I know is very hard to gauge as there are thousands of games with hundreds of comments and with under a hundred staff members there is a one in a million chance that your comment may be seen by a mod or admin.
My suggestion to make the process of finding a merit worthy comment smoother and to make an admin/mods job easier is by the use of voting.
How would this work?
Under a games window on the right displays the five or so recent comments and then a bit below the "see all" button. By each comment there is a red flag for reporting spam, instead/additionally to this there could be a an up arrow and a different coloured down arrow. All users will be able to vote if it is a spam comment or a good review of the game, one up vote is +1 and one down vote is -1 with one vote per user. The "score" would be displayed on the right. For the most up voted comments there would be a tab above or below the comment box, similar to the Facebook and Twitter tabs where there will be a tab for the most up voted comments starting with the comment with the highest votes. Mods and Admins will then be able to simply click the most popular comments tab and judge whether the user deserves a merit. This would save a lot of time as there would be no need to trawl through pages of comments.

This came to me in an epiphany when I wrote a game review that I was proud of but is now lost in pages of spam comments. Oh well you guys can shoot me down saying its a stupid idea or already been down before yada yada yada.
  • 11 Replies
Showing 16-15 of 11