ForumsNews and Feedbacki've an irk, an explanation, and a solution for/at/with, not in that order, for the system o...

6 3524
joeymax23
joeymax23
5 posts
Peasant

okay, disregard my disregard for your regard on my punctuation, capitalization, spelling, or the odd lack of a space, i've a lot to say and not much time to say it before my writing mojo is gone.

Alright, so as you could see from the title, i've an irk for the weird tagging system for the games, an explanation for my irk, and a solution for it, or at least a possible solution.

So, if you hadn't noticed, when you mouse over a game, it brings up a pop-up box, it has a picture, the full name, rating, and the tags. i personally know little about the way games get tagged, but i know that its normally abstract, and odd. for instance, in the relatively new at the time of writing game, 'davey jones: td' has the tags 'irate' 'ixel' 'strategy' and 'tower defence'
THIS...
tells me nothing
i could figure all of those descriptive items from just reading the name, except for pixel, which in this case refers to the art medium that the game uses to convey the happenings, which i gathered from the picture. the other sort of abstract item is strategy, but thats just something most tower defence games fall into anyway.

that probably describes my irk rather well, if not, tl;dr: it's an archaic way of describing things and even then its bad at doing said description. still tl;dr, okay: it sucks

that probably explains it well enough, so heres my promised solution, one could just, oh i dunno, use the same fracking system that we had before? you know, just put the first snip-it of the description on the game page in the pop-up box. that was FINE, it WORKED. done. FIXED.

TL;DR: hey AG, you know that rule about 'if something ain't. broke don't fix it'?
you ****ed up
try again.

Thoughts?

• 6 Replies
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

TL;DR: hey AG, you know that rule about 'if something ain't. broke don't fix it'?
you ****ed up
try again.

This new tag system was implemented because the old tag system was broken. :O

Of course, this is a new process which undergoes a constant evolution, so it's silly to assume this is the final version of what is dished out. Even as I type this out, new games are given new tags and/or have tags removed (because sometimes we assign RPG to a space shooter and totally distort the STC).
joeymax23
joeymax23
5 posts
Peasant

Even as I type this out, new games are given new tags and/or have tags removed (because sometimes we assign RPG to a space shooter and totally distort the STC).

oh dear, it seems i wasn't clear.
this happens occasionally,
my issue was only partly with the tag system, but also that the tags themselves are crappy. in my example with davey jones: td, all the tags were obscenely obvious. it would be much more helpful with actually descriptive tags, for instance 'beach' or 'aquatic incursion' or 'badly represented privateer vernacular' etc.
the current system can help sooometimes, but most of the time its useless. for instance, it would help make sense of a game called, hypothetically 'gearhead' that only had a picture of a cog on the pop-up doodilydoo. unless of course it was about a small child with the head of a cog, wandering through unexplored wilderness, attempting to right an ancient wrong in the world, solving puzzles that use his odd physical shape to turn 'ye olde door' and the like.
that would be sweet, but thats another topic altogether.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

it would be much more helpful with actually descriptive tags, for instance 'beach' or 'aquatic incursion' or 'badly represented privateer vernacular' etc.

This seems to be the root of the complaint. Are you asking for more tags to fill in the game itself? Otherwise, the tags' descriptions can be explored further by linking to them. As for adding more tags to the system, this is, again, part of the ever-growing tag system evolution, where it gets collectively better each time.

The problem with the more-descriptive or more-detailed tags, however, is that they are specific tags, thus having less similarities with other flash games on the site. The tags were mostly, or at least partially, made so users could explore many more games with sub-genres or their defining features, instead of tackling dozens of flash games with each main genre. But that's just my perspective; perhaps the rest of the administration could hop in, since this is a more-robust suggestion
joeymax23
joeymax23
5 posts
Peasant

The problem with the more-descriptive or more-detailed tags, however, is that they are specific tags, thus having less similarities with other flash games on the site.

ah, i see.
and with further looking, i see that on most games, there's both a description, AND a tag thingy.
this makes sense

Alrighty, then-
they are specific tags, thus having less similarities with other flash games

sire
are you insinuating that 'incorrect pirate verbature' is NOT a main selling point? you good man, are an oppressive diddily do daninging banger hanger, and that is ALL there is to say on the matter!
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

are you insinuating that 'incorrect pirate verbature' is NOT a main selling point? you good man, are an oppressive diddily do daninging banger hanger, and that is ALL there is to say on the matter!

But there is a Pirate tag, and that's, like, all you need to know to jump right in
joeymax23
joeymax23
5 posts
Peasant

But there is a Pirate tag

GASP
how could you even SAY THAT?
perhaps some of us more... culturally sensitive folks, enjoy our pirate vernacular incorrect and improperly represented verbature
gosh some people, its not as though i'm forcing MY tastes onto your correct pirate vernacular or your properly represented verbation!
Showing 1-6 of 6