ForumsNews and FeedbackSpam Bots

36 51267
Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

I don't know if there was a system to catch these, but over the last couple days there has been an inappropriate amount of these things.
They just pop up I think in the programming forum repeatedly, but I may be wrong about that.

I have told ferret about the first one, and someone had already dealt with it. It happened yesterday and again today. Mod Moegreche is aware of this and today I also told Moderator Reton8.

I fear this will become worse.... Is there anyway to IP ban them or get the news out to people, because frankly it had 36 views and thank god no one posted, but maybe that is to small of a number, but is there a way we can get theses to stop or be reported faster? I think we need to stop this Spam bot raid. Can we is the question?

• 36 Replies
devansh_asthana
devansh_asthana
480 posts
Farmer

Once upon a time... it was a while ago, but there was a time (in this period AG added captchas for a very short while) when nearly every (or every, not sure here^^) sub was flooded with spam, the first 4-5 (or more) sites where only spam-threads

Oh...that would have been dreadful...

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

How many spam threads can be posted in 1 section?

As many as those bots' capacity will allow ;-P
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

We've put some stronger things in place, and given moderators more powers - so we should start seeing an end to this. Moving this thread to News.

devansh_asthana
devansh_asthana
480 posts
Farmer

New powers?Like what?Banning permanently?

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

We're cooking up an idea, we're thinking it may be earning Quests to post.

My first thought was that this would push away any potential forum newcomers, but then I realized that, frankly, most newcomers have some Quests under their belts anyway; and there isn't a constant stream of newcomers to push away in the first place.

Heck, if a system were implemented to give users privileges after a certain amount of Quests, maybe we'd see more curious newcomers coming to reap the fruits of their gaming labor.
Showing 31-35 of 36