ForumsNews and FeedbackAG Premium?

18 34893
LightWarriorK
LightWarriorK
48 posts
Shepherd

For months now, the Black Screen Issue has plagued some users, myself included. No progress is being made, and I've resigned myself to accepting that this is how AG wants it to be. Fine.

In an effort to be a little less pissy about the issue, I would like to ask a question. Not to other users who wouldn't know, but to the site admins who actually have to pay the bills:

What is the actual revenue, per user, per month, on average, that is brought in with these new ads? $1? $5?

You don't have to answer if the actual amount is sensitive, but think about this: What about an "AG Premium" account? Similar to IGN Prime, where a user pays a nominal fee per month or year, one that offsets their expected ad viewing revenue, and are then exempt from ALL advertisements on the site?

For users who don't want to pay, you still have the ads to get your revenue. But for those who are either hell-bent to block the ads or unable view the ads (me), this would be an option that would not hurt your revenue stream.....and possibly even bolster it.

I am not able to view your YouTube ads. But I would if I could. I would support AG financially if it meant escape from the ad viewing requirement.

It's worth a discussion, I feel. I chose to post this in a new thread because it's separate enough from the Black Screen Issue, but my apologies if I was mistaken.

• 18 Replies
IceClaw247
IceClaw247
843 posts
Jester

This sounds like a good idea, I'd actually do it. But if there was an "AG Premium" account would it only entail removing ads? I think you should get like a gold shield next to your Armatar and maybe a couple other small benefits? I think then more people would be inclined to paying a fee per month or year maybe.

LightWarriorK
LightWarriorK
48 posts
Shepherd

It could come with whatever perks AG would consider appropriate I'm sure. Site recognition like you say would be a must, but really the ads are the main thing. Other perks as would be financially feasible or negligible.

Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

I guess it would generate revenue, but really what are the overall huge advantages? No adds, thats it?
I C no point.

~~Black~~

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

We're interested in your thoughts on this, it's certainly something that is possible.

Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

Ohh I thought of another thing maybe a Top priority listing on Friend lists... I mean Good money to be made, we just need more things to give, like
-Always listed on front page of Friends column
- No Adds
- Star or something by name?
----Needs more to work ----

~~Black~~

LightWarriorK
LightWarriorK
48 posts
Shepherd

Thanks Ferret. If you can guarantee freedom from those YouTube ads, you'd have a member in me.

Black, I know a lot of folks who would see "no ads" as a strong point. It's certainly mine, since right now I can't play with the ads AG uses.

The advantages could be as numerous or as limited as would be feasible for AG based upon the number of buyers. Perhaps they could work out early or beta releases for major games? Or the occasional free game which would otherwise cost money? Or special quest badges only available to Premium members?

The biggest benefit would be site support. Premium accounts, at least on most sites, help run the site far more than any advertising would. We could see new games, better games, a better site overall, etc. There are a lot of possibilities.....and every one of them beats out invasive advertising.

royalguy
royalguy
148 posts
Nomad

Maybe small things like member recognition. A thing on the front page telling you which friends are online/ what their doing on AG. Alpha and Beta testing for upcoming games. I however don't think there should be any sort of bonuses in games. I was disappointed with Phage Wars Live. Max out your Phage for $1.99. 6 months later nobody plays the game and you can't use what you spent your money on. There are an incredible amount of things. Members only quests in games. Special styles of accounts like use your own background. Something like that. Nothing groundbreaking that ruins the experiences for others. Just little extras. Infinite sized friendlists in games like Colony, ssl, ssl2, Vortex Wars, and other multiplayers. Different color font for members. Admins are green. Moderators are blue. Members could be red?
Just some ideas.

LightWarriorK
LightWarriorK
48 posts
Shepherd

I was kind of hoping the idea would get more traction, either pro or con. Ah well.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Hmm, maybe because it's in support. I'm going to move it.

LightWarriorK
LightWarriorK
48 posts
Shepherd

Thanks Ferret!

Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

@LightWarriorK
IDK why you can't play the games, I think that is a computer issue, also you have to think about the older community, seeing you have only become re-active and obviously more people aren't jumping on the discussion, I would say for most the No adds would not be enough to push this...

~~Black~~

IceClaw247
IceClaw247
843 posts
Jester

I would say for most the No adds would not be enough to push this...

It would have other advantages, no adds would be one of the main ones, possibly beta testing exclusive stuff or a special quest or something, there are endless possibilities to the "Premium" AG account.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

I was kind of hoping the idea would get more traction, either pro or con.

As such (and as another mere mortal member ), I think it's not a bad idea.

Hope us non-paying members won't eventually be dealt too much of a spam-filled hard time
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

IDK why you can't play the games, I think that is a computer issue,

Blackbelt, LightWarrior has described his troubles at quite some lengths on the black screen thread, currently if you read back a handful (or so) of pages there.
LightWarriorK
LightWarriorK
48 posts
Shepherd

you have to think about the older community, seeing you have only become re-active

The older community is quite welcome to chime in. I would welcome it.

And while I've never been forum-active (and I'm still not very) until this issue, I've been very active on AG. I've had this account since July of 2009. Honestly, I feel impressed with myself for still being here at all given that I can't play the games.

there are endless possibilities to the "Premium" AG account.

Agreed. It's really up to whatever AG feels worth throwing at it.

Here's what IGN Prime does; it's a pretty successful example: [url=https://s.ign.com/prime/landing]
Showing 1-15 of 18