ForumsNews and Feedback[Official] What is a Knight?

396 191270
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

'Knighthood': What is a 'Knight'? And what does 'Knighthood' mean?

'Knighthood' and the title 'Knight' is bestowed upon a user that has shown exemplary deeds and outstanding behavior as a member of the Armor Games Community. This exclusive title is only granted to those users that have earned a special place among the citizens of the Kingdom.

How do I become a Knight?

Care about the community and other users and catch the eye of moderators or admins, they are the ones who choose who is Knighted. Don't ask to be Knighted, that's a good way not to be Knighted.

What can Knights do?

-They have access to a Knight-only Forum.
-They have access to Knight-only armatars
-Special forum coloring and badge.
-Knight Gilding

I'll add more to this sticky if there are further Questions.

• 396 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

There's no point in freaking out about it because you don't know all the facts

If I'm not mistaken I'm pretty sure that's a big reason we are in a rage about this.

pang deserves to be knighted

Good god no

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Well I wasn't knighted for being charming in the WEPR, I'm sure of that.
I wasn't that much active in the Forums either except for the CTC2 and Viking Vengeance threads. I'm guessing that my knighthood is related to the CTC series somehow.

xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

@Pangtongshu Why not i like you

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

It's almost as if knighting was a bad idea in the first place.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

So that begs the question that if knighthood has such a lack of authority that that fact can be used as an excuse for this recent knighting, why even have knights in the first place?
It's a figurehead title, like a highschool &quotresident". It gives people some idea of the goings-on of the administration without any real risk of disastrous oversights and/or debauchery.

Knights have at least one basic duty: "They often come to help those in need." So there is authority, albeit in a small sense.
Unlike superpowers, authority is not directly proportional to responsibility, and I'm fairly certain they aren't actually required to uphold even that responsibility, given that they can only be as helpful as any other non-admin, non-mod user.

And FishPreferred and pang. So no, not only me.
I just think it's perplexing. I withhold all judgement until I am fully briefed on the subject.

Yeah and I get your reasoning, but it's not like anyone plays to have a higher post count, not that I do at least.
Actually, I'm fairly certain a large proportion of users do it for exactly that.

My question: Do the admin know who knighted him and why? If so, I don't really see this as a big issue.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Sad to see how this is all turning into verbal bashing and unthoughtful ranting about a recent user's Knighthood. Even more sad to see that there somehow is a shared mindset on how it is 'ok' to first spit out one's blatant personal thoughts about a certain topic, which can clearly be perceived as hurtful by the person this concerns, and then simply state that apologies will be made if this were needed in that case. When and where did this become a normal thing to do? (the earlier stated 'unthoughtful' part is of course about this and not the argumentation to the topic itself)

A tone of voice defines a person. Several persons can have a similar train of thought or ideas, but the way they are brought to the table can clearly set them in a different light on how they are perceived and on how others will react to them. It amazes me how this eludes some people...

Now... back to the main topic about Knighthood...

We made a decision to promote a user to Knighthood, so we can also undo this, IF this were necessary. The fact that others disagree about a nomination and promotion is never a problem, as long as this is voiced in a civil matter. Calling a newly promoted Knight "what's his face" is simply juvenile and blunt. It completely demolishes every word stated in any argument before and after this.

I'm sure there will be plenty of discussion in the (near) future about this subject, but I'd like to ask those that choose to get involved to use normal ways of doing this, rather than the ways I've descibed above, ok?

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

However, I still want evidence of the 13 reviews. It makes me uncomfortable that you clearly say you've read 13 when I can only find six.
He did not say 13. He said that he read "Every single one."
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

A tone of voice defines a person.

Mad/disgruntled/upset/etc?

We made a decision to promote a user to Knighthood,

I understand that..and I believe you all have the best of intentions in doing these knightings. Nevertheless, I would hope (read:expect) a little more from the administration about their decisions other than "we made the decision, trust us on it". The knights are, if I have been understanding the system correctly, to be examples of/for the user base. The best of the best, the examplery ones, and I love that, I really do. But it is hard to find someone as a good role model whenever you have no knowledge on this person or what about them is so particularly grand.

Calling a newly promoted Knight "what's his face"

Sincerest apologies on this. I did not mean that as a sort.of backhanded remark. I honestly could no remember his name (other than it started with a "V" and was a Nazi term for administration), and because I'm on mobile having to open up different tabs and go about the ardous process of dealing with the horrendous way my phone deals with copy/pasting on this site was just not something I wanted to do..especially when I was about to go to bed.
The term was meant as a statement of my poor memory in regards to his name, not his unknown status amongst the community.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

As I've been watching this, I think pangtongshu and Matt are right to be doubtful. The user's deeds don't sound proportional to other knights' overall contributions.

However, given the way our moderation team handles things here, I am going to trust their judgement. Besides, we will soon find out if this judgement was poor...

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Conclusions due to observations:

It was probably valid to make Verwaltung a Knight given his contributions.

His sharing a name with a certain historical German government department is a coincidence.

His name meaning "administration" is a coincidence.

Tinfoil hat wearing silly (Although given the weird things that go on here, not entirely implausible) conclusion:

Verwaltung is somebody on the admin team operating under an assumed name for as yet unknown purposes.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Oh, now I see it. Given that he hasn't got all the facts straight, I think it's safe to conclude that Frank did not promote Verwaltung.

I'm going to @boppins, too, in case he has a record of the actual promotion. I don't need the details; just confirmation that this is all within the admins' purview.

xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

From the entire beggining i agree with @09philj, but im gonna roll with everyone else for the fun of it

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

This did not escape me.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Verwaltung was given Knighthood because of his comments, which was pointed out by @Boppins. And I agree, we need more shining examples of good game comments on our site - seems like gone are the days where you can actually get a decent game review.

It's true, he isn't active in the forum community and you might never see him post.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

People like Verwaltung are rare

Even rarer now he seems to have disappeared.

Showing 286-300 of 396