ForumsNews and Feedback[Official] What is a Knight?

396 191283
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

'Knighthood': What is a 'Knight'? And what does 'Knighthood' mean?

'Knighthood' and the title 'Knight' is bestowed upon a user that has shown exemplary deeds and outstanding behavior as a member of the Armor Games Community. This exclusive title is only granted to those users that have earned a special place among the citizens of the Kingdom.

How do I become a Knight?

Care about the community and other users and catch the eye of moderators or admins, they are the ones who choose who is Knighted. Don't ask to be Knighted, that's a good way not to be Knighted.

What can Knights do?

-They have access to a Knight-only Forum.
-They have access to Knight-only armatars
-Special forum coloring and badge.
-Knight Gilding

I'll add more to this sticky if there are further Questions.

• 396 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Given recent additions to the Knight's numbers, I think the threads title begs asking again...

What IS a knight?

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

@MattEmAngel Maybe you don't realize this, but in some form, you are kind of flaming the new knight.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

@MattEmAngel He's been giving full reviews for games. Read his disqus: https://disqus.com/by/armorgames-08448a0fd13f1529074bed23c5a05588/

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

@MattEmAngel @pangtongshu His form of contributions are pretty solid, and I'm sure the mods see it. It's just that his form of contributions aren't the kind that are seen by most and hardly get any recognition by the community here in the forums, but more in the community of comments sections in games.

*sorry to double post*

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Wow jeepers 13 whole comments
Big reviews or not, that is a redoculously small sample size to gather the quality of this user.

On top of that, I believe you heavily misinterpreted my post...especially given that you attempted to give an answer to me.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

@pangtongshu that was an answer, his form of contributions. You asked what is a knight, did you not? He is a knight. That's all I was saying.

Also, I can't be the person who defends him, because I'm not the one who Knighted him, and frankly I don't know who, and for what reason specifically. It's my guess that, that is the reason why he was knighted.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Also, I can't be the person who defends him, because I'm not the one who Knighted him

Exactly. He is also not the only.person I am referring to in my post.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

I'm not going to argue with that, you have good points except the one below which I will mention. From the beginning I just wanted to let you know that you could have pointed these things in a less harmful way if he should see your comment since you did @ him in it. Also, it's not like he Knighted himself, and it doesn't seem to say anywhere that he wanted to be knighted. So, you're really aiming your fire at the wrong person.

3. Disqus is not a part of the community. It has nothing to do with the community.

(getting a bit off topic, I just had to point this out)
Well disqus has a lot to do with the community surrounding people who mostly use armor games for the games. The forums aren't the only communities. Believe it or not disqus has a lot of users who are pretty well known there but not in the forums.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

in a less harmful way if he should see your comment since you did @ him in it.

Oh no...?

Also, it's not like he Knighted himself, and it doesn't seem to say anywhere that he wanted to be knighted. So, you're really aiming your fire at the wrong person.

Matt and I are directing our "fire" at the correct people. Never did he say he was criticizing the person. It was quite clear he is criticizing the decision itself.

The forums aren't the only communities. Believe it or not disqus has a lot of users who are pretty well known there but not in the forums.

Good for disqus. Disqus also isn't an AG creation.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Okay I just want to let you all know that I'm not trying to argue with anyone. I don't think it's going to get us anywhere. Let's just ask @Ferret.

xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

its the secretary of ArmorGames? But i am pretty sure it has something to do with 4th of May.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Did you also fail to notice that no one announced his knighthood until I did? Admins and mods both posted to congratulate him, but none of them announced it. I didn't even find out about it until a knight saw the update and mentioned it to me.

This is all far too shady for me. He does not fit the qualifications. He is not a long-term, active member. None of the numbers on his profile stand out, including quests and comments. He has no external links of sources of him doing this for any period of time longer than his membership. The AG team promoted him after a long period of inactivity, which occurred very soon after his membership date. It wasn't announced in the forums. And worst of all, no one seems to know who he is or why he was promoted.

Okay that's about enough of that, MattEmAngel.

Obviously when we nominate a knight, the qualifications are there and we give it several days to contemplate. Yes we know that his word is German for Administration, because we have someone who knows German (or he just put that word into a translator. Maybe Unleashed has been faking his fluency this whole time! :O ), and yet we knighted him anyway.

You yourself bolded that a Knight is a Noble Contributor, and Verwaltung is just that. Have you even read his reviews? This is his primary method of commenting in flash games, in a period where few users even review (I know, I've looked. I do give out merits on reviews, but let's just say they are few and far between).

You also bolded Exemplary Deeds and Outstanding Behavior. Obviously the Exemplary Deeds are for all his comments being reviews, and 6 of his merits being successful reviews. Has Verwaltung been in any trouble? Would you like to look for yourself if Verwaltung has been in trouble? Obviously Knights are promoted with less than the zeal of qualifications than users being promoted to moderators (and even less than moderators being promoted to administrators. When is that gonna happen D: ). Obviously Verwaltung does not participate (yet) in the forums, but participating in the forums is not a prime qualification for a Knight.

I believe this is Promotion #4 or Promotion #5 in which someone could not possibly fathom why someone would be knighted or moderated(?) when the evidence was staring them in the face. So think long and hard on why we knighted someone who participates actively in the game comments. I already gave you several hints. Opinions are all well and good, but opinions with such negative furor is borderline authoritative when authority is absent.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

I have skimmed his reviews and I have no doubt that they are well-written, but there are only six. Six reviews. You've given someone that kind of authority for good writing on six games, at least one of which he didn't finish (Conquest). You can't write a proper review of a game you haven't even completed.

What authority is in a knight? And yes, you can write a proper review of a game even if you haven't 100% the quests for them.

He has only been a member for a month! How easy is it to avoid getting in trouble for a month, especially when you aren't participating?? We have community members that have been here for years and don't get in trouble.

Should community members be active for a year before we decide "Oh, I suppose they are good people"? We've also had community members that have been here for years and then go off the deep end.

But he has no actual "zeal" in the first place. Where are the nightly reviews he promised us? Where is his consistent activity?

You try reviewing games on a consistent basis with that text output and see how much of a work load that is. Obviously we do not expect Knights to constantly produce that which they were recognized for, because Knights aren't "expected" to do anything. It is a volunteer position to do that which Knights are called upon.

And yet almost all of the benefits of being a Knight apply to the forums (colored forum text, private forums, etc). "Maybe he'll participate in the future" is not grounds for promotion or reward of any kind.

We'd love to hear some suggestions on what else Knights can be privileged to do. More features for the knights leads to more activity and strive for the Knights, and this leads to traffic which is ultimately good for the site. Suggestions?

"Maybe he'll participate in the future" is not grounds for promotion or reward of any kind.

It never was. "In the future" is never grounds for anything. We focus on what he/she has done in the past.

The evidence is that he does NOT participate actively in the game comments. Seriously, the numbers are right there.

We have conflicting opinions on what participating actively in the game comments mean, especially when the drive is creating game reviews. But hey, since you want his knighthood removed so badly and we have to cater to your needs, we can remove his knighthood if his activity really turns out so abysmal. "Aha! That proves the administration does not know what they are doing if they are having second guesses!"

All of the information I posted back there was fact. Data from his profile, quotes from the admins and website, activity and participation on the site.

"Quotes from the admins" is one Ferret, whose quote I have already explained for you. "Data from his profile, activity and participation on the site" I have already explained for you.

Must I remind you (and others) again that the title of Knight is a flexible position, requirements which differ slightly depending on what the activity of the user is? Because a Knight does not have authority and more along the lines of "This user is trustworthy enough to help us out on things which will not backfire immensely if the user goes Rogue", we are able to promote Knights for what their passion in ArmorGames is. Verwaltung's passion is making more detailed game reviews than half the users on this site. Yes, his 13 reviews count as having more detailed game reviews than half the users on this site. Obviously there are prequisites to which all Knights must overcome in order to be considered for Knighthood, and Verwaltung has passed it.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

To Matt, I'd like to point out that there isn't really much authority involved here. The closest knighthood gets to authority is having new users mistake them for the real authorities, and last I checked, there wasn't anything special about the knights-only forum.

To Frank, I think Matt's curiosity is justified, regardless of his approach. Up to this point, Minotaur55 was the "youngest" user to be knighted, just short of two years after joining, so knighting someone who showed up on March 15 of this year is at the very least rather puzzling. If he's a dev, that's understandable, but it should be made clear. If he's an AG veteran with a new account (that you know to be the same person), that's fine, but still a bit odd and something that should be made clear. If he's not a real user, whoever's been spiking Boppins' coffee needs to be stopped.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

The only thing we didn't do is announce the Knighthood of Verwaltung to the community beforehand. We screwd up, we apologize to Verwaltung for not introducing him to everyone before a normal user did.

Yes, Verwaltung is the record newest user to be knighted. Probably will be for a long time. We still knighted him. Even administrators vouched for him. Because he's primarily in the comments section, while everyone else stays in this hugbox of a community. Sure, some knights do venture off and comment on games (some even do really well on the comments and receive merits!), that is not their primary vocation. This is akin to....uhhhh.... Shingeki no Kyojin, where all y'all Fortification Squads are nestled nice in the city of Armoria, but Verwaltung is a Reconnaissance member who always is on the field where it's NASTY. Seriously, sometimes the AG comment section can get as bad as the Youtube comment section, and that's saying something. And he chooses to stay and review despite what he has to see anyway!

... You're still not gonna take that, are you guys?

In short, there should be no reason to complain about a user getting a few more privileges added. What, is the supply of Ganticorp Knight Badges running low? The honor of being a Knight is still there when we view his qualifications and give the thumbs up, so....?

*throws hands up in the air, takes aspirin*

Showing 256-270 of 396