ForumsNews and Feedback[Official] What is a Knight?

396 191691
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

'Knighthood': What is a 'Knight'? And what does 'Knighthood' mean?

'Knighthood' and the title 'Knight' is bestowed upon a user that has shown exemplary deeds and outstanding behavior as a member of the Armor Games Community. This exclusive title is only granted to those users that have earned a special place among the citizens of the Kingdom.

How do I become a Knight?

Care about the community and other users and catch the eye of moderators or admins, they are the ones who choose who is Knighted. Don't ask to be Knighted, that's a good way not to be Knighted.

What can Knights do?

-They have access to a Knight-only Forum.
-They have access to Knight-only armatars
-Special forum coloring and badge.
-Knight Gilding

I'll add more to this sticky if there are further Questions.

• 396 Replies
Charlie506
Charlie506
1,298 posts
Nomad

The thing about a knight is they get purple text. ^^

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

If favoritism were to be in play here, I would have made sure my friends would have been Knighted first, right?

No, because that wouldn't make sense. You still have to sway your fellow mods/admins in the vote. This is not mentioning the obvious backlash the feature would receive had your supposition occurred.

And becoming friends with the right people is simply out of the question.

Please do not tell me you're ignoring the inherent subjectivity the terms and conditions allows, in which the management may construe any action into 'against the rules'.

As a last note, see the conflict of these statements
Ferret:people know that is not a popularity contest.
MrDayCee:Knighthood is a recognition-by-status type of awarding.
Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

Ferreteople know that is not a popularity contest.
MrDayCee:Knighthood is a recognition-by-status type of awarding.

As per mentioned by Graham, not knowing the process (even if just a broad outline) of which candidates become knighted, it's hard to see it as anything other than "I like this user yada yada" and persuading other mods/admins to agree with your views, essentially making it &quotseudo-favoritism", if not complete favoritism.

Fundamentally, it all really is just a popularity contest in the end, as since there doesn't seem to be a structured approach to go about this (I'm presuming), users can more or less have an easier time of getting knighted if they have 'connections' whereas that one guy that doesn't talk much to mods but helps out with people all the time in, say, game commenting sections or messengers will be left unnoticed.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Fundamentally, it all really is just a popularity contest in the end, as since there doesn't seem to be a structured approach to go about this (I'm presuming), users can more or less have an easier time of getting knighted if they have 'connections' whereas that one guy that doesn't talk much to mods but helps out with people all the time in, say, game commenting sections or messengers will be left unnoticed.

I disagree with both of you.
Let say we all work in a big office and one guy helps everybody get better but the boss doesn't know about it, how can this worker be noticed?
On the other hand if one employee has an idea about improving the work and talks about it to the boss, he shows initiative and the boss will likely remember him.

The AG community is no different.
If you notice something wrong about a game and mention it to an admin he will see that you're helping. If you contact them often you have a better chance to become friends with them because this is how human behave, we make friends with people who appear friendly to us.
This doesn't guarantee that you'll be favored because of that, but if they know you because you constantly help finding glitches, give ideas that will benefit the site, participate in the forums and contribute to the creation of a game, they will most likely notice you for a reward.

Knighting people is a way to increase interest in participating and show users that they are appreciated for their contribution.

Anyway that's how I see it.
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Please do not tell me you're ignoring the inherent subjectivity the terms and conditions allows, in which the management may construe any action into 'against the rules'.

Welcome to any website ever made.
pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke

In my opinion, those who generally help others in selfless acts should be rewarded. However if you are helping others expecting a reward then you are doing it for the wrong reasons and will be disappointed.

it's hard to see it as anything other than "I like this user yada yada" and persuading other mods/admins to agree with your views, essentially making it &quotseudo-favoritism", if not complete favoritism.

Let's say it is favouritism, If you were a mod or admin, your favourite would be the people who help the community the most, yes? Alternative is put everyone's name in a database randomly select a user. Overview all their activity and see if they are worthy and active. That way seems a bit difficult though.
UnleashedUponMankind
UnleashedUponMankind
7,043 posts
Grand Duke

it all really is just a popularity contest in the end

Sure, you must be noticed to be known. But to be known has nothing to do with popularity.

Am i popular? Hell no!
Am i known? Thats for sure, some users/mods/admis know me, some like me, some hate me, some havent any special feelings, it doesnt matter to me.

I do some things here, they think i do good things, so somebody decided i deserve this. Bottom line.
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Seems Nicho is a Knight as well. Congrats to him.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Thank you R2.

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

Man, that purple threw me for loop. Interesting idea. Is there a cap on how many knights the site will have? I ask because there are quite a few people who I think deserve knighthood.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

There is no cap.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

There is no cap.

Hey Ferret, could you possibly elaborate a little on why you chose certain people? For example, a shot post celebrating the user for these knightly deeds which bestowed knighthood upon them? (If you know what I mean. I'm crud at the medieval talk.)
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Hey Ferret, could you possibly elaborate a little on why you chose certain people? For example, a shot post celebrating the user for these knightly deeds which bestowed knighthood upon them? (If you know what I mean. I'm crud at the medieval talk.)

I would advise against this. It could easily result in all sorts of riff-raff pestering mods and admin with "I also did [whatever knightly deeds someone did], so why didn't I get chosen?".

What is Knight Gilding?

Usually, this would mean coating with a thin layer of gold, but I don't think it works well on people.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I would advise against this. It could easily result in all sorts of riff-raff pestering mods and admin with "I also did [whatever knightly deeds someone did], so why didn't I get chosen?".

That's what we want, so we can discriminate against the complainers >.

But no, I hadn't thought of that... Bad idea, another one to toss on that pile of fails.
gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

There is no cap.

You mean there isn't a knightcap? I crack myself up.
Showing 31-45 of 396