Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Lifestyle Crisis

Posted Jan 17, '14 at 4:42pm

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

You may find this worth a look: http://www.theprofessionalhobo.com/ .

Posted Jan 17, '14 at 9:17pm

delossantosj

delossantosj

6,778 posts

And yet you want to travel the world?

Haha the "World". I'll go wherever i end up going, man. i plan on starting with America and Canada. i still have years of planning to do anyway.

instead of spending years saving some money for a big trip

Haha 3-4 years is a blip on the timeline that is ones life. not that i can predict my own lifespan, but considering my conditions, 2-3 to save up money isnt a lot at all.

When it comes to expenses, they really aren't all that high, especially if you're traveling through places rather than to places.

I couldn't possibly have said it better myself.

If you're already in school and you don't like what you're studying, take some time off to travel and think (that's what I did).
Though it's not the fact that i dont like what im studying, that was the initial plan. like a 5-15 year sort of deal around all over the place.

I dont really plan on going overseas too much, airline tickets are expensive for sure. Though i do really want to live in Japan for a good few years of my life.

Also, don't think that you have to go far to travel. There's a lot to do in every country, especially in the states. You could hitchhike from coast to coast. You could walk the Appalachian trail (or better yet, the Pacific Crest trail!). There are plenty of opportunities for adventure close by.

Im from Colorado, so my initial plan was to go through the mountains, go just north of the desert, and into Cali. Ill probably spend some time there and enjoy the beach and then ill head up North to Vancouver and check out some Canadian landscapes or something, then travel faaaaaaaaaaar down to the Appalachian mountains. That was my brainstorm a few months back.

Posted Jan 18, '14 at 8:21pm

Minotaur55

Minotaur55

1,397 posts

Knight

vacations cost money yo. im not in a situation where i can fork out money for a weekend trip, just to go back and experience boring "normal life". you know what i mean?

I do and I do not. You want to adventure and adventures cost money man. It's not like you can pack up and go somewhere, not in these times. Maybe once in history people could do that.

I dont really plan on going overseas too much, airline tickets are expensive for sure. Though i do really want to live in Japan for a good few years of my life.

Overseas can cost a lot of cheddar. But can be worth it. My father went to Japan once, and he liked it so much he didn't want to leave. And I quote...

"This place is so amazing I have to leave now or I may never leave."

Good times.

Im from Colorado, so my initial plan was to go through the mountains, go just north of the desert, and into Cali. Ill probably spend some time there and enjoy the beach and then ill head up North to Vancouver and check out some Canadian landscapes or something, then travel faaaaaaaaaaar down to the Appalachian mountains. That was my brainstorm a few months back.

As awesome as this sounds I think you'll run into some issues. For one, you'd need around $3,000 at very least for the total cost for food, a place to stay, and other miscellaneous expenses that will occur. And something like this is dangerous. In ways I don't think I need to mention.

Also... on a completely unrelated note... YAY MY 1,000th FORUM POST WOO HOO!

Posted Jan 18, '14 at 9:00pm

delossantosj

delossantosj

6,778 posts

You want to adventure and adventures cost money man.

This is everything wrong with what you said.

That's terrible thinking my friend. money shouldnt be something that has real "control" over your life. sure it's going to be there no matter what you do, but im not going to let something as silly as money get in the way of what it is i want to do.

For one, you'd need around $3,000 at very least for the total cost for food, a place to stay, and other miscellaneous expenses that will occur.

nonononono (chris rock voice). see you are thinking of a vacation. im not going on a vacation.

Posted Jan 19, '14 at 2:16am

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

Have you ever read Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer?

See, ITW is a biography about this college graduate, Chris McCandless. I'm a bit of a book worm and this is probably one of my favorite books ever. I think it really pertains to your situation and it definitely has a lot of information that has helped guide me. A few years ago I was definitely like you. But not enough about me.

Chris, the subject, was just like you: a hater of materialism, a young man ready to see the world, and oh-so ambitious. He never quite enjoyed or fit into society so as soon as he graduated college (with outstanding grades, mind you), he essentially said "**** money, **** society, **** people" and went off to live on his own.

Throughout his amazing trek he ventured around the country and parts of Canada. He visited the Colorado mountains, the Arizona desert, the California coast, the muggy Georgia climate, the moderately weathered Montana, and, finally, the frost-ridden Alaskan frontier.

He loved music, like you. He loved freedom, like you. He loved being set in his belief system and was very hard to deter, like you. He lived out of a backpack with absolutely no money (he donated all of his money to, ironically, an anti-hunger charity), like what you want. And guess what happened? He ends up starving to death in an abandoned bus in Alaska! =/

But this isn't about dying due to naivete. It's about what the book contains. The book is jam-packed with very relevant information. And while you'll probably say "nah man I don't need that" or you'll lie to my face and say "yeah man I'll check it out" but never do, please, at least read a better description. It's a great piece to help deal with exactly this.

Posted Jan 19, '14 at 2:18am

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

But not enough about me.

Remove the word not.

I'm tired, okay?

Posted Jan 19, '14 at 2:29am

OperationNilo

OperationNilo

4,066 posts

For how can we conquer death, if many of us are to scared to face it?

Everyone will die. Everyone reading this will die. Everyone I know or you know or we know will die. One does not simply conquer death.

Posted Jan 19, '14 at 6:37pm

delossantosj

delossantosj

6,778 posts

But this isn't about dying due to naivete. It's about what the book contains. The book is jam-packed with very relevant information. And while you'll probably say "nah man I don't need that" or you'll lie to my face and say "yeah man I'll check it out" but never do, please, at least read a better description. It's a great piece to help deal with exactly this.

I have seen the movie on netflix, someone told me that i would like it and i definitely did. Eddie Vedder from pearl jam did the whole soundtrack and it's fantastic

Reply to Lifestyle Crisis

You must be logged in to post a reply!