ForumsWEPRKelly Thomas Murder Trial

48 21862
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

As you may have heard, the police officers responsible for the savage and deadly beating of the special needs California man Kelly Thomas eluded justice in the courtroom last night. How is it that the people we employ to protect us can get away with disgusting acts of savagery like that?
What are your opinions on this pathetic verdict?
Do you feel threatened by our out of control police force?
How have the police become beyond reproach in the eyes of the law?
How does this injustice make you feel?

These are important things that I want you very much to share your opinions on.

• 48 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I might watch to much extreme media, but since when does the media cover anything positive? I don't hear many stories about cops saving lives,

Because these stories aren't interesting. Everything on the news tends to be negative but that is what interests most people, that is what gets most people watching. More people would watch a story on an officer shooting an innocent puppy rather than the story of an officer saving a puppy from a river.

The police have become intolerant of even the tiniest form of resistance and often over respond to the possibility anyone resisting, sometimes with tragic results. The sad part is that the police have seemingly become separated from our communities and at time seem like a separate faction.

We literally were just talking about generalizations in this thread...
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

themastaplaya:

read
read
read

kthxbye

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

I know you think that I'm a stupid n*****, but I what all those things are already. I don't want this to turn into an all out word fight here, so I will be the more mature, humble person and stoop down to your level remind you that this topic is about Kelly Thomas and the escalating amount police violence today. It's not about taking sides, it's about the police involved in these sort of offenses, and not about the entire history of law enforcement.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

So essentially, this topic is about the cherry that I picked to talk about (The Kelly Thomas murder)

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

remind you that this topic is about Kelly Thomas and the escalating amount police violence today. It's not about taking sides, it's about the police involved in these sort of offenses, and not about the entire history of law enforcement.

And we are reminding you to not generalize police and use cherry picked information to back up your generalizations.

So essentially, this topic is about the cherry that I picked to talk about (The Kelly Thomas murder)

Not what cherry picking fallacy is, but yes, that is what the thread was originally to be discussing. However, generalizations were made as well as debatable points that were of related topic but not of the specific topic, and they were addressed.
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Are you saying that unless all of the police are responsible of breaking the law, the "cherry picked" events don't count as police breaking the law?

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Are yo blatantly ignoring what I'm talking about or do you honestly not understand?

What I am saying is that in those instances, the &quotolice" breaking the law are specific individuals, not the entirety of the police. And when you mention stories (such as your story about "Bubba&quot to justify comments such as The police seemingly have the notion that they don't have to follow any procedure, code of conduct, or let alone the law they are supposed to uphold. you are doing nothing more than cherry picking an event to justify a comment in which you generalize the actions of -some- police as the actions of -all-

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Well, an event such as the Kelly Thomas incident can come to represent a certain police force in a certain area for a period of time due to the media scrutiny and the protests such an event brings on. Do you agree at all?

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I would say it represents the actions taken by those specific police officers. Such an event -could- represent actions the police force takes in training its officers, but that is not necessarily inherently so.

It could also represent certain flaws within our legal system.

But just because the media or protesters generalize doesn't make the action justifiable.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

From them yelling "it's the police".

I can yell that too. It's not that hard to impersonate them. Illegal, but not difficult. Heck, if a word and a costume should make people drop to their knees, why wouldn't any robber/rapist/killer try it?
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I can yell that too. It's not that hard to impersonate them. Illegal, but not difficult. Heck, if a word and a costume should make people drop to their knees, why wouldn't any robber/rapist/killer try it?

This then goes back to my point about the necessary information that we are missing, the actions taken -before- what film we have available.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

This then goes back to my point about the necessary information that we are missing, the actions taken -before- what film we have available.

Ok. Source.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Thank you. Reading it over...it does seems the police were quite at fault in this situation. Even more disheartening to know that the house they raided didn't even harbor the man they were after anymore.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Even more disheartening to know that the house they raided didn't even harbor the man they were after anymore.

Even more disheartening to know that they knew it.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Yes..the point I was getting at.

Oddly enough connects to the Kelly Thomas incident, where Thomas was a known schizophrenic by the police (connecting point is the idea of known information despite action taken)

Showing 16-30 of 48