Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Kelly Thomas Murder Trial

Posted Jan 19, '14 at 4:32pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,676 posts

remind you that this topic is about Kelly Thomas and the escalating amount police violence today. It's not about taking sides, it's about the police involved in these sort of offenses, and not about the entire history of law enforcement.

And we are reminding you to not generalize police and use cherry picked information to back up your generalizations.

So essentially, this topic is about the cherry that I picked to talk about (The Kelly Thomas murder)

Not what cherry picking fallacy is, but yes, that is what the thread was originally to be discussing. However, generalizations were made as well as debatable points that were of related topic but not of the specific topic, and they were addressed.

Posted Jan 19, '14 at 4:42pm

themastaplaya

themastaplaya

662 posts

Are you saying that unless all of the police are responsible of breaking the law, the "cherry picked" events don't count as police breaking the law?

Posted Jan 19, '14 at 4:55pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,676 posts

Are yo blatantly ignoring what I'm talking about or do you honestly not understand?

What I am saying is that in those instances, the "police" breaking the law are specific individuals, not the entirety of the police. And when you mention stories (such as your story about "Bubba") to justify comments such as The police seemingly have the notion that they don't have to follow any procedure, code of conduct, or let alone the law they are supposed to uphold. you are doing nothing more than cherry picking an event to justify a comment in which you generalize the actions of -some- police as the actions of -all-

Posted Jan 19, '14 at 5:30pm

themastaplaya

themastaplaya

662 posts

Well, an event such as the Kelly Thomas incident can come to represent a certain police force in a certain area for a period of time due to the media scrutiny and the protests such an event brings on. Do you agree at all?

Posted Jan 19, '14 at 5:34pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,676 posts

I would say it represents the actions taken by those specific police officers. Such an event -could- represent actions the police force takes in training its officers, but that is not necessarily inherently so.

It could also represent certain flaws within our legal system.

But just because the media or protesters generalize doesn't make the action justifiable.

Posted Jan 19, '14 at 5:56pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,984 posts

From them yelling "it's the police".

I can yell that too. It's not that hard to impersonate them. Illegal, but not difficult. Heck, if a word and a costume should make people drop to their knees, why wouldn't any robber/rapist/killer try it?

Posted Jan 19, '14 at 6:13pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,676 posts

I can yell that too. It's not that hard to impersonate them. Illegal, but not difficult. Heck, if a word and a costume should make people drop to their knees, why wouldn't any robber/rapist/killer try it?

This then goes back to my point about the necessary information that we are missing, the actions taken -before- what film we have available.

Posted Jan 19, '14 at 6:29pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,984 posts

This then goes back to my point about the necessary information that we are missing, the actions taken -before- what film we have available.

Ok. Source.

Posted Jan 19, '14 at 10:14pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,676 posts

Thank you. Reading it over...it does seems the police were quite at fault in this situation. Even more disheartening to know that the house they raided didn't even harbor the man they were after anymore.

Posted Jan 19, '14 at 10:42pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,984 posts

Even more disheartening to know that the house they raided didn't even harbor the man they were after anymore.

Even more disheartening to know that they knew it.

Reply to Kelly Thomas Murder Trial

You must be logged in to post a reply!