Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Kelly Thomas Murder Trial

Posted Apr 8, '14 at 3:02pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,971 posts

They have still been trained through boot camp to obey orders.

That's also what police training is for. If the NG handles smart people just fine, why can't cops?

for one, it has a multitude of divisions and some require higher intelligence

Detectives generally require a better mental ability.

A more intelligent man would be less likely to go over and beat him to death.

Are you implying that the police acted correctly? Keep them stupid so they kill innocent people more frequently?

I'm saying that the "follow orders, no matter what they are" rule is harder to enforce

Were they ordered to say "You see my fists? They're getting ready to **** you up."?

I'm saying that they failed to stop and consider that their enemy, who is a threat to their life and needs to be shot, just might be an unarmed civilian.

Why would you not want someone with better discernment? The military also trains soldiers to quickly react to a multitude of situations, with and without threats. Do you not get that it's a problem when cops don't know the difference?

Posted Apr 8, '14 at 3:58pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

4,119 posts

That's also what police training is for. If the NG handles smart people just fine, why can't cops?

Great question. I don't know why. Ask the New York 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals.

Detectives generally require a better mental ability.

The court ruling said nothing about detectives.

Are you implying that the police acted correctly? Keep them stupid so they kill innocent people more frequently?

I'd prefer if they didn't kill innocent people at all.

Were they ordered to say "You see my fists? They're getting ready to **** you up."?

I don't believe so. Why would it matter? I didn't say they were ordered to kill an innocent person, and yet the police in the Kelly Thomas case were acquitted. Who is to say they weren't ordered to take matters into their own hands?

Why would you not want someone with better discernment? The military also trains soldiers to quickly react to a multitude of situations, with and without threats. Do you not get that it's a problem when cops don't know the difference?

Perhaps you misunderstand. I think the IQ restriction is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard of in the police system. I am struggling to find a plausible explanation for it rather than to defend its existence. The best explanation I can come up with is that New York wants less intelligent men on their force so they can get away with bullying the population into obedience, rather than risk a more intelligent man deciding to opt out of punching a disabled man to death.

Again, if you have a better explanation for why the police force won't accept smart people, I'd like to hear it (outside of NY's current bullcrap excuse of them possibly getting bored and leaving the force).

Posted Apr 9, '14 at 4:30am

Getoffmydangle

Getoffmydangle

148 posts

@Kasic

"The theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training."

Just playing devil's advocate, is it possible that they have data to support this theory?  Or maybe that is expecting too much for bureaucrats.

Reply to Kelly Thomas Murder Trial

You must be logged in to post a reply!