ForumsThe TavernCamping Trips

25 6717
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

What are your experiences with the outdoors? Have you had any memorable experiences while in the wilderness? Share it with us here?

Well now, here's one of my favorite true camping stories

In October of 2013, Me and my dad went into the Sierra Nevada mountain range in California for a week long camping trip. The closest town was Bishop, about 40 miles back down into the Inyo Valley. We were camped in a rural walk in site with no facilities where we would return to spend the night at after a our eventful days of fly fishing, hiking, and spiritual healing in the alpine forest. At the end of our third day, with the sun going down and the temperature quickly falling, we arrived at our campsite and dad went away to tinker with the 4runner. Now since I hadn't showered in a while, I though that I would go down to the creek that was nearby and rough the icy waters to clean off a bit. I went down to the creek wearing only bathing shorts and absent mindedly wondering if I should actually attempt to enter the freezing water. I got down to the creek and waded in to my knees, shivering all the while. This whole time I was not paying attention to my surroundings and was being absent minded. In the corner of my eye I saw something that was reddish brown moving towards me. At first I thought it was some person's loose Irish setter or retriever dog since the entire animal was partially obscured by the undergrowth. But then the understanding of what it really was hit me like a tidal wave. There was a brown bear walking right past me only about 15 feet away! I swear I'm not making any of this up! As I was standing in the creek wearing only bathing shorts, a wild bear walked right past me on the other side of the creek! I didn't see it until it was so close because the foliage was so dense. But this bear just lumbered right past me with no concern of his own. That bear snuck up on me so quietly despite his own massive size and could have mauled me flat and I wouldn't have been able to do anything about it! Well that's my very own true story. Look I know people love to say that bears fear humans and actively avoid them, but this bear didn't fear anything at all and I understand why. This encounter was both scary and fascinating. Let's just say that I didn't sleep to soundly in my flimsy little tent that night.

If you have any interesting stories, comments, or questions, feel free to share them with me!

• 25 Replies
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Wow! That was a very interesting story. I've never been in a survival situation before but I guess what doesn't kill you makes you tougher and wiser for your next adventure.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I got lost for 4 hours once, fortunately, I knew that If I found my way back to the lake, I'll find the camp eventually. I was 7 yo and alone! :O

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Wow! You could have ended up as bear food. You should have made a spear out of a sapling just in case you needed to pull of some Rambo style ****.

gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

I went camping once, a long time ago. I never went again because of the mosquitoes.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Every few weeks during the warmer season I'll head out into deep woods by myself and hang for a week. It's a very relaxing time, though nothing interesting happens (which is why I like it).

CherryCoke360
CherryCoke360
407 posts
Nomad

The only funny camping story i have is about this one homeless guy who was wandering around near our campsite one time when i was maybe 12 or 13. he was obviously drunk out of his mind since he was carrying some kind of bottle in a paper bag, and he was having a hard time walking probably due to the alcohol. he stayed clear of us and the other people most of the time, but he did at one point turn and look directly at me from about 50 feet away and yelled "THE LIES THEY TOLD.. ALL WILL BE REVEALED!!" and walked away. I probably laughed for at least 10 minutes.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

I have a funny drunk guy camping story too. One time when I was fishing up in the Sierra Nevada there was this drunk guy sleeping down by the creek, and he would occasionally yell out something inaudible at like 180 decibels. He finally left. He drove off (yes, you heard that right) in his pickup truck really fast.
That was the end of that.

PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

Take this to heart from a veteran of the US Infantry two time Iraq deployment on survivability methods.

Always always always pack toilet paper or equivalent in a zip lock bag. You will never regret this decision, ever.

The alternatives are not worth it. Forest ground foliage is not a desirable alternative. Socks may be used but they belong on your feet. Hand method is probably on of the worst methods. Just don't do it.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Always always always pack toilet paper or equivalent in a zip lock bag. You will never regret this decision, ever.
The alternatives are not worth it. Forest ground foliage is not a desirable alternative. Socks may be used but they belong on your feet. Hand method is probably on of the worst methods. Just don't do it.

Yes, I learned this the hard way. D:
Most forest foliage sucks for wiping; it's cold, hard, and stiff. But if you have to use foliage, just make sure that it isn't poison ivy!!!
CherryCoke360
CherryCoke360
407 posts
Nomad

He drove off (yes, you heard that right) in his pickup truck really fast.

Haha drunk guys are hilarious.. are you sure you didnt hear a loud crash after he drove off? xp
Showing 16-25 of 25