ForumsThe TavernCamping Trips

25 6716
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

What are your experiences with the outdoors? Have you had any memorable experiences while in the wilderness? Share it with us here?

Well now, here's one of my favorite true camping stories

In October of 2013, Me and my dad went into the Sierra Nevada mountain range in California for a week long camping trip. The closest town was Bishop, about 40 miles back down into the Inyo Valley. We were camped in a rural walk in site with no facilities where we would return to spend the night at after a our eventful days of fly fishing, hiking, and spiritual healing in the alpine forest. At the end of our third day, with the sun going down and the temperature quickly falling, we arrived at our campsite and dad went away to tinker with the 4runner. Now since I hadn't showered in a while, I though that I would go down to the creek that was nearby and rough the icy waters to clean off a bit. I went down to the creek wearing only bathing shorts and absent mindedly wondering if I should actually attempt to enter the freezing water. I got down to the creek and waded in to my knees, shivering all the while. This whole time I was not paying attention to my surroundings and was being absent minded. In the corner of my eye I saw something that was reddish brown moving towards me. At first I thought it was some person's loose Irish setter or retriever dog since the entire animal was partially obscured by the undergrowth. But then the understanding of what it really was hit me like a tidal wave. There was a brown bear walking right past me only about 15 feet away! I swear I'm not making any of this up! As I was standing in the creek wearing only bathing shorts, a wild bear walked right past me on the other side of the creek! I didn't see it until it was so close because the foliage was so dense. But this bear just lumbered right past me with no concern of his own. That bear snuck up on me so quietly despite his own massive size and could have mauled me flat and I wouldn't have been able to do anything about it! Well that's my very own true story. Look I know people love to say that bears fear humans and actively avoid them, but this bear didn't fear anything at all and I understand why. This encounter was both scary and fascinating. Let's just say that I didn't sleep to soundly in my flimsy little tent that night.

If you have any interesting stories, comments, or questions, feel free to share them with me!

• 25 Replies
Showing 31-30 of 25