ForumsThe TavernCamping Trips

25 6734
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

What are your experiences with the outdoors? Have you had any memorable experiences while in the wilderness? Share it with us here?

Well now, here's one of my favorite true camping stories

In October of 2013, Me and my dad went into the Sierra Nevada mountain range in California for a week long camping trip. The closest town was Bishop, about 40 miles back down into the Inyo Valley. We were camped in a rural walk in site with no facilities where we would return to spend the night at after a our eventful days of fly fishing, hiking, and spiritual healing in the alpine forest. At the end of our third day, with the sun going down and the temperature quickly falling, we arrived at our campsite and dad went away to tinker with the 4runner. Now since I hadn't showered in a while, I though that I would go down to the creek that was nearby and rough the icy waters to clean off a bit. I went down to the creek wearing only bathing shorts and absent mindedly wondering if I should actually attempt to enter the freezing water. I got down to the creek and waded in to my knees, shivering all the while. This whole time I was not paying attention to my surroundings and was being absent minded. In the corner of my eye I saw something that was reddish brown moving towards me. At first I thought it was some person's loose Irish setter or retriever dog since the entire animal was partially obscured by the undergrowth. But then the understanding of what it really was hit me like a tidal wave. There was a brown bear walking right past me only about 15 feet away! I swear I'm not making any of this up! As I was standing in the creek wearing only bathing shorts, a wild bear walked right past me on the other side of the creek! I didn't see it until it was so close because the foliage was so dense. But this bear just lumbered right past me with no concern of his own. That bear snuck up on me so quietly despite his own massive size and could have mauled me flat and I wouldn't have been able to do anything about it! Well that's my very own true story. Look I know people love to say that bears fear humans and actively avoid them, but this bear didn't fear anything at all and I understand why. This encounter was both scary and fascinating. Let's just say that I didn't sleep to soundly in my flimsy little tent that night.

If you have any interesting stories, comments, or questions, feel free to share them with me!

• 25 Replies
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I have this one hilarious story about a boy and his dad camping in the Sierras who totally freaked out for no reason when they saw me in my bear suit, but that's for another day.

I wish I had some interesting camping stories, but unfortunately, the camping trips I've taken in the past have been tragically mundane. Unless you find sleeping on uneven hard ground with no sleeping bag interesting, I've got nothing.

But I would like to ask, what drives people to go camping, out into the wilderness with limited resources?

Clancy12
Clancy12
6,400 posts
Lord

But I would like to ask, what drives people to go camping, out into the wilderness with limited resources?

We've got a tent trailer. It's basically a tent with mattresses (pretty hard though) and a small fridge (about 2 x 1.5 x 1 feet). Plus a small outdoor propane stove. In my opinion, it takes more work to put up than a tent, so it still gives a bit of a "rugged feel" but with a few comforts. It's great to wake up, spend the day hiking, then come back to somewhere you can sit back without the sun directly on you. A shorter answer to your question: because it's a great way to unwind and relax away from from home. And for people without the money to go on vacations to Hawaii, Caribbean, etc. it's a nice alternative for a fraction of the cost.

As for the original topic, I've had quite a few. I'll probably post a few later.
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Please post them pal, anything will do and it doesn't have to be as long as my story or as wild.
If you've never gone camping, where would you like to go: Yosemite, Death Valley, Yellowstone, The Redwoods, The Grand Canyon, Crater Lake, Glacier, Canyon Lands, Lake Tahoe, etc...
Tell us, I'm always interested.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

My only camping experiences are from long ago when I was 6,7,8, and 9 yo.
My family and many uncles spent the entire Summer picking wild blueberries in the middle of nowhere. I saw many bears but I only had one bad experience and it was scary.
I was almost done filling my bucket with blueberries when 2 baby black bears came around me. I was amazed and I started petting them.
When my dad saw that he told me to stay away from them because their mother was probably close by and she would attack us.
He didn't finish his sentence when the mom showed up roaring, standing on her rear paws. I discovered how tall and big a bear can be!
Fortunately, the car was close by so we ran and jumped in it through the open windows and took off as fast as we could.
When we came back a couple hours later, the bears had eaten a good bit of our blueberries but didn't destroy our picking tools.

That was an exciting adventure, both fun and scary at the same time.

I miss those Summers.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

The closest town was Bishop

It's nice little town... I go there to camp when I go fishing up in the mountains

Yosemite

This is where I shall start. I went camping there two years ago with my family and grandparents and it was all fun... A lot of hiking and war stories from my grandpa.

More recently I just went to Sequoia last summer and went camping. It was pretty fun and I had a lot of good and bad experiences. One night after we drove back to the campsite from a day of hiking there were a male and female deer just sitting in the middle of our camp and eating the bushes near our tents... They stayed for about an hour and then finally went to the other side of the little dirt street for the rest of the night, I thought that was pretty cool. Another time there was a mama bear and about 3 or 4 cubs running through the campsites just minding their own business but it was pretty amazing to see.

Oh, how I love camping... =D
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r196/Eye_of_Azure/LargeTrout_zps8161d2fd.jpg

This is one of the trout I caught on my last camping trip.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I've never seen anyone look less happy to have caught such a big fish, but my main concern is the date on the picture. You had to have taken at least one more trip after that if you went in October of that same year, unless it was an unusually long trip that lasted all of September, because you look just like the kid I scared with my bear suit (and you said above that you went camping in October 2013).

No more mystery threads, Matt. Now I'm trying to solve things that don't even need solving.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Well, maybe I have recall problems. I recited the original posting in this thread from my diary. I must have thought that 8/30/13 meant 9/30/13 or something like that.
And I don't know what this whole bear suit thing is all about. I really did encounter a big a-- bear a few days after I took this picture.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Here are some more of my vacation photos:
I took all of these myself (I have extensive photography experience).

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r196/Eye_of_Azure/Crab_zpsa64dcc7e.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r196/Eye_of_Azure/LakeTyee3_zpsbd08df9a.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r196/Eye_of_Azure/Forestscape2_zpsccf18796.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r196/Eye_of_Azure/SeashorePebbles1_zps701dd130.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r196/Eye_of_Azure/IMG_1302_zps97985e43.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r196/Eye_of_Azure/TallTree_zpsb8565c2d.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r196/Eye_of_Azure/ForestValley_zps85d451d5.jpg

Well, that's a start. I have many more photos.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Note: not all of those are from the same trip though.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

That is an epic crab. I wonder what it would taste like.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Actually, Ernie, that crab is pretty small. It was hiding from me in a crack in the rock in from a tide pool. I got real close, used super HD resolution, and a nice fill in flash to make it look like I took the shot with a much more expensive camera. It's crazy how some skill and a little tech knowledge can really fool (no offense) the viewer. I believe that type of crab is called a blue/green moon crab.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Here is a photo of my dad with the mahi mahi he caught when we were deep sea fishing in Mexico.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r196/Eye_of_Azure/MahiMahi2_zps4f2846a0.jpg

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

I go backpacking a bit. Last year I spent a semester in northern Queensland and during our mid-semester break (which I guess would be spring break for them) me and my (at the time) girlfriend took a boat out to this practically deserted island. It's called Hitchenbrook Island, for those who might be familiar with the area.

Anyway, the plan was to hike across the island and back over 5 days (maybe 60-70 miles round trip?). We each were probably carrying around 35-40 pounds of food and gear (plus this awesome nautilus shell I found the first day), and getting water from streams and such. Or, that was the plan. On day three (the day we reached the other side of the island) all the water sources marked on our map ended up being dry or contaminated with salt water. That day we had collectively drank 5 liters of our 5.5 liter water supply while hiking about 14 miles. The nearest water source that we knew of was probably 10 miles back and we only had half a liter of water between us (Did I mention we were in the rainforest in Australia and were sweating buckets the entire time? Also we had not seen any other people on the island.)

So anyway we just had to nut up and hike back. We both became extremely dehydrated and experienced some light hallucinations/delusions (involving a nighttime adventure through a crocodile infested mangrove...). We luckily found a tiny tiny little stream only a few miles back the way we had come. The shear joy of finding that little stream is impossible to express...

All in all it was really nice hike though. Saw some gigantic cane toads, a few lace monitor lizards, and some of the most beautiful pristine beaches (with nary a tourist in site!) and waterfalls of my life. The next couple days were filled with swimming under waterfalls and collected some dope seashells and drinking copious amounts of rum.

Here's one of the many beaches:
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx182/aknerd/817b1b10-2afb-47be-80c7-9cf465d6112a.jpg

And the trail:
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx182/aknerd/4e05773b-93b7-453b-b90d-f61624c9514b.jpg

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

I haven't done much of the exciting camping/hiking/camp-in-a-different-place-at-the-end-of-the-day things, it's more of camping at a national park for a few days, hiking around in the park and then winding up at the campsite again things. So nothing very exciting happens.
Once I remember it rained the entire time. The first day was really boring, but the second day I decided to go out and play in the mud. I ended up making a snowman out of mud, and then an apple, and then a bunch of random tiny mudballs and my sister and I threw mudballs at eachother until we ended up hitting someone else's tent.
Good times.

Showing 1-15 of 25