ForumsWEPREvaluate the Supernatural

19 2067
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,540 posts

In science we take on a position of methodological naturalism. This is a statement that we have no method of evaluating any supernatural claims. As such we disregard them from the evaluation process. If you are one who does believe in supernatural claims, can you think of any means by which we could evaluate the validity of any such claims?

This would also lead into the question that if we can't come up with a proper method of evaluating supernatural claims, how would it be a reasonable position to take that something occurred as a result of supernatural forces rather than naturalistic ones?

• 19 Replies
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
2,866 posts

I once saw a very interesting article called "Seven things Christians and Atheists have to agree on." To my surprise, it was correct.

Apparently it's been upgraded to 10 (which would be 11 things in all, if you count the claim within the title). Having looked through it, I can confidently say that we may agree on all of two things.
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,712 posts

That article is garbage, no offense to you. All it really says is that extremists on opposite sides of a fence are obnoxious and not representative of the whole. That's not really news. You could take the same article, plug in 'Republicans and Democrats' or 'Vegans and Carnivores'.

MacII
MacII
1,348 posts

Ahem. A reminder to all that Cracked.com is a humorous site; the offspring of Mad magazine in fact, I believe.

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,842 posts

You could take the same article, plug in 'Republicans and Democrats' or 'Vegans and Carnivores'.

That's kind of the point. Like I said, I suggest reading it so people will be more mature, as in how they treat other people in the discussion. Arguments in WEPRE can get disturbingly bitter and even crude. They're just basic argument guidelines.
Showing 16-19 of 19