ForumsGamesFuuuuuuuuuture!

8 3794
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

With the launch of the next gen gaming consoles, there has been a good amount of talk about the future of gaming. Motion control seems to be a popular idea for families, looking at the wii's great success, however its not as important to hardcore gamers. I personally like to use a controller instead of having something like a kinect watching me and making my character move based on what I do. I feel like controllers are more accurate and allow for faster reaction times, keeping things intense. The Oculus Rift has also become popular recently, and looks very interesting. Long story short, it is a piece of head gear with a screen right over the eyes. I've seen this used with a controller and recently saw it used with a form of motion sensors placed on your body directly, tracking your movements and making it more immersing. While I do think that the motion sensor in combination with the Oculus sounds interesting, I doubt it would get to the point of it being as successful as the current gaming giants.

tl;dr
What do you think about the future of gaming?

• 8 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

The Oculus sounds like a Virtual Boy...and we all know how that went down.

I just can't wait for gaming to get to the point where it translates to real life, so I can feel what my virtual me feels and experience that danger and excitement.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

The Oculus sounds like a Virtual Boy...and we all know how that went down.

Pfff, that was 25 years ago. This thing is actually pretty cool (and expensive.)

I just can't wait for gaming to get to the point where it translates to real life, so I can feel what my virtual me feels and experience that danger and excitement.

But alas, we cannot take getting shot 30 times before we die, not to mention we'll all be 60 by the time that comes around.
-

In my humble opinion, gaming is taking a rather unpredictable path into the future.

On one hand, we have Consoles and PC's, both of which have ruled gaming for years, and now we have new arrivals on the scene of the Oculus, and of course the Ipad, and it's counterparts taking position in the gaming world.

I personally believe the Motion sensing/movement sensing technology is the way of the future, and eventually (I hope) systems like the Oculus and motion sensing will be merged to make video games like real life.

We all wait for the day.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

I completely forgot to talk about smartphones and tablets in the op. Anyways, these devices have attracted more attention from the more casual gamers, hurting console sales overall. This is easily noticeable with portable gaming. From my own experience, I have seen more children with ipods/iphones than with a ds or psp. As other companies continue to expand, gaming industries are being hurt, specifically Nintendo, as it is the most successful with portable gaming.

As for consoles, I find it difficult to believe that they would straight out die. As of right now I think there are enough gamers to keep them alive, they just might become a bit less of a social norm and next-gen updates will become more uncommon.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

As for consoles, I find it difficult to believe that they would straight out die. As of right now I think there are enough gamers to keep them alive, they just might become a bit less of a social norm and next-gen updates will become more uncommon.

There will always be those few that prefer the console. I do myself to be honest.

I don't think you can really get that much more out of the console. The virtual reality stuff is going too far... I'm just not that hardcore of a gamer, I prefer to relax and enjoy the game.
Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

to be honest im still waiting for top notch legit virtual reality to come along

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

The Oculus Rift is more than just a screen you put over your eyes. The Rift senses your head movement which this changes the camera position in game. If I look left with my head in real life, the game camera turns left too. The rift also makes the screen appear to wrap around your vision slightly, making it appear less as if looking at a screen and more than like you are actually in the game. The Rift is much more than a virtual boy.

But, even with all these advances, the technology doesn't seem to be up to speed just yet. A lot of Kinect games (even on Xbox 1 still have trouble deciphering body movements. Virtual Reality may happen, but it looks like it will still be another decade or so away.

Fuuuuuuuuuture!

Spongebob reference? The episode where Squidward goes to the future, finds out there's a bunch of robot Spongebobs and then lies on the ground and says "Fuuuture! Fuuture!" over and over. It's a funny episode! :]
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

But, even with all these advances, the technology doesn't seem to be up to speed just yet. A lot of Kinect games (even on Xbox 1 still have trouble deciphering body movements. Virtual Reality may happen, but it looks like it will still be another decade or so away.

I personally still believe that a real/realistic VR is still another 20 years away. The technology required just isn't here yet.
Showing 1-8 of 8