ForumsGamesEA/Microsoft YouTube Scandal

12 4533
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Recently, both EA and Microsoft/Machinima have been caught paying YouTubers to speak positively about their products. EA's deal was that the YouTuber makes 10 per a thousand video views, and all they had to do was say good things about EA's products (Battlefield, Need for Speed, Madden, ex), not focus on glitches or bugs within the games and to keep the deal secret. Microsoft's was very similar, only differing in the product (the Xbox One) and the price (3-5 dollars per thousand views). Here is a video that explains it a little bit more in-depth
So I'm curious, how does think make you feel? Will this affect you and your purchasing of games/consoles? Do you consider this to be a big deal, or is this just another one of those common, shady advertising methods that no one cares about? Me personally, I don't like how these companies are taking advantage of YouTubers who need a few extra bucks. It isn't fair to us, the consumers, as most of us look from as much information as possible for buying it and now a large portion of that could be fake.

• 12 Replies
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

If the content creators clearly state that they are being reimbursed for their opinions, I have no issue with it. I mean, I do. Yet from a 'Are they allowed to do this?' standpoint, it's fine.
The issue is that, apparently, a majority of the content creators are not doing that. To take it even further, apparently one contract (complete with a NDA) explicitly instructs content creators to not mention the deal. That goes against US law that the FTC set up just to prevent this sort of shady back-alley deal making.

CherryCoke360
CherryCoke360
407 posts
Nomad

Whoa.. This is a scandal?

Randall Peralta
1 hour ago
COMPANIES PAYING FOR ADVERTISING AND POSITIVE INFLUENCE?!?! WHOA IT'S ALMOST LIKE PEOPLE THINK IT IS NEW.

I agree with this really loud youtube comment on the video.How different is it from regular advertising?
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

I agree with this really loud youtube comment on the video.How different is it from regular advertising?

As seen in the post right above yours:
...apparently one contract (complete with a NDA) explicitly instructs content creators to not mention the deal. That goes against US law that the FTC set up just to prevent this sort of shady back-alley deal making.
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Sorry, forgot the link and pertinent quote in my notepad.

The FTCâs Endorsement Guides: Being Up-Front With Consumers

For example, advertisers are advised that using unrepresentative testimonials may be misleading if they are not accompanied by information describing what consumers can generally expect from use of the product or service. In addition, the Endorsement Guides let endorsers know that they shouldnât talk about their experience with a product if they havenât tried it, or make claims about a product that would require proof they donât have. The Endorsement Guides also state that if there is a connection between the endorser and the marketer of a product that would affect how people evaluate the endorsement, it should be disclosed.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

The Endorsement Guides also state that if there is a connection between the endorser and the marketer of a product that would affect how people evaluate the endorsement, it should be disclosed.

OOOohhh. The legal problems.
PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

If you think EA and M$ are the only companies who do this...you're in for a wide awakening to life.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

If you think EA and M$ are the only companies who do this...you're in for a wide awakening to life.

I'm so glad you're contributing to the conversation and not all at posting meaningless garbage here. It's apparent you've read over all the posts and pertinent linked articles. Such a succinct, educational and enlightening post!
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

I thought the same for awhile too until I realized its kinda illegal, as stated above. The problem I have is that the youtubers claim that the positive things they are saying are what they think, when in reality they are simply trying to make more money. The reason this is different from other forms of advertising is because while watching a video you could be unaware that this was an add. Commercials using athletes and movie stars and very clear and open, literally screaming "this is an add!". YouTube isn't like that.

Nothing in my op suggests that I am unaware that this is common. The fact that this illegal form of advertising is common does not make it anymore legal as well. This is a current bit of news for the gaming community and is unrelated to any other instances that have happened.
Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

well they can say all the positive things they want, im still not buying an xbox one for a couple years. and ea only has a few good games imo and thats the skate series

PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

I'm so glad you're contributing to the conversation and not all at posting meaningless garbage here. It's apparent you've read over all the posts and pertinent linked articles. Such a succinct, educational and enlightening post!

You're more than welcome that I don't flood the comment sections with meaningless dribble. I'm concise and straight to the point of my thoughts and ideas.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

You're more than welcome that I don't flood the comment sections with meaningless dribble. I'm concise and straight to the point of my thoughts and ideas.

No offense, but we were discussing just EA and MS, not the entire problem in itself.

Everyone knows if one company does it the rest are too. That's nothing new.
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

No offense, but we were discussing just EA and MS, not the entire problem in itself.

Everyone knows if one company does it the rest are too. That's nothing new.

Good point. To be honest I knew it was meant to be a secret and that especially large companies like EA pay Youtubers (and I suspect Video game Reviewers from sites like IGN) to speak positively about a product.
Showing 1-12 of 12