Forums

ForumsVideo Games

Played that, what's next?

Posted Jan 24, '14 at 5:34pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

6,508 posts

Here's the story: You just beat a game, and you thought it was great. You want to follow up with something equally awesome, but you don't know where to turn. Game Informer says it's great, but your friend says it's terrible. Reviews are all over the place. Sure, it's the next in the series, but is it as good as the one you just played?

This thread is for the person who just finished the story/campaign/first playthrough and wants something new, but doesn't want to just throw money at the "next big thing." Come here to ask for suggestions or help those who ask, even if it's "Nooooooo do NOT get that game!"

If you just finished a game and want to write a review (good or bad), do it in two paragraphs or less. Include what YOU thought was most important. Have fun!

Posted Jan 24, '14 at 5:58pm

Charlie506

Charlie506

1,317 posts

I just beat Super Mario Bros U, and it was just like the one for the the Wii. I'm like, why didn't I get 3D land?? Do not get Super Mario Bros U, it disgusts me. Always, IMO.

Posted Jan 24, '14 at 7:25pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

6,508 posts

I just finished Mirror's Edge.

Review:
Mirror's Edge is a parkour game based in the classic "Big Brother" society, where the only way to send information with the govt finding out is by hiring a running to travel across rooftops and through buildings and deliver it by hand. The story is nothing new: someone frames your sister and is out to kill both of you. Track them down, don't get killed.

I would recommend this game, although it has far too much profanity for me (mostly mild, but sh!t is said frequently. You can mute in-game dialogue, though). It's very linear; there's really only one way to get from A to B, so not much free-running. The graphics are 2D animated cartoons in cutscenes (very unique) and brilliant, CoD-level 3D graphics in-game. The parkour can get frustrating because it is sometimes hard to tell where to go. The game will turn some objects red to indicate what to grab/jump off of/etc. It has shooter elements but discourages shooting. You can't run if you carry an assault rifle and you can die from ONE sniper round, so it's very realistic, something players may have trouble deal with at first. You have to use legitimate strategy and quick-thinking our you're dead. Invisible checkpoints and "Bullet time" exist, and the controls can be tweaked to help. Buy the PC version on Steam ($19.99) for the best gameplay (a joystick is going to frustrate you).

Posted Jan 24, '14 at 7:29pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

6,508 posts

I love indie and unique games. My current list is:
XCOM Enemy Unknown: (In progress)
Antichamber: (In progress)
Mirror Moon: (given up. Very unique, far too vague)
Mirror's Edge: (Complete. Recommended)
The Stanley Parable: (sort of in progress. I have no idea)
Portal: (Complete, 1 and 2, and they were AWESOME)
LIMBO: (In progress)

[I will review any of the above games if someone is interested]

So I want something different.
I have played plenty of CoD (4 to BO2), Halo (2 to 4, including Reach), Assassin's Creed (1 to 2: Revelations) Borderlands, etc. and I'm done with them.
No fantasy-based games with magic, spells, dragons, etc. Not a fan of that.
No generic FPS games that have been done a million times.
No profanity or lewd content.

What's next?

Posted Jan 24, '14 at 9:27pm

blk2860

blk2860

10,697 posts

Just recently finished Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (Including the special episode.)

Review:
Great game, though it didn't really use Apollo's skill very much. The story arc in this title of the series was fantastic, and it's somewhat similar to the arc in the first game. Visually, the game is good, as well. This game's prosecutor, Simon Blackquill was a well-defined character, similar to the Von Karmas. Also, the new ability introduced with Athena Cykes was very useful, and fun to use during cases.

For those of you who don't know, the Phoenix Wright games are about a lawyer, (and later lawyers) who take on cases. You work with detectives (Mainly two in the entire series, Detective Gumshoe in the others, and Detective Fullbright in this one), and find clues to what really happened. Then in court you have to defend your client, by Objecting and Pressing. Overall, I would definitely recommend it. You don't have to play the games before it to understand the story, though I would recommend playing the other four games. The only thing is that you have to purchase it from the Nintendo eShop on the 3DS.

Posted Jan 24, '14 at 9:59pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

6,508 posts

If you liked it, you should check out the App store. Three of the old games are available at a low price in one app. Several are free, I believe. If you haven't played the first five cases from the first game, you need to. They were fantastic.

Posted Jan 25, '14 at 7:11pm

blk2860

blk2860

10,697 posts

I've played every single one, actually. From every game in the series. I even played a bit of Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Investigations.

Posted Jan 25, '14 at 9:26pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

6,508 posts

If you liked them, you should check out "Ghost Trick." It's an app now and works very well on an iPad. Very, VERY original storyline, funny graphics and some seriously tricky puzzles.

The first few levels are free, then you have to buy the whole game. Personally I think this is excellent because it lets you decide if you want to actually buy the game or not, and it's a full-length game anyway. It's worth a download if you haven't tried it yet.

Posted Feb 8, '14 at 9:50pm

blk2860

blk2860

10,697 posts

Just played The Stanley Parable. Pretty interesting, I enjoyed the various endings. It gets boring somewhat quickly, however. I feel like there should be more content, but it's actually rather lacking in the amount of time it takes. The Narrator was interesting, but, again, after getting all of the endings, I actually enabled the console specifically just to get back into the broom closet. The game has a great beginning, and has great endings, but there's little to no middle, depending on the ending you're going for. The two that take the most time are the two that have to do with hitting on or off. Since you can't stop the self destruct sequence for when you turn it on, there are basically only two endings that actually take an ounce of effort to accomplish.

I would say it's worth the 15 dollars, at the very least. I would probably rate it 7/10, but again, the amount of content is just lacking. The game is very enjoyable, it's just there isn't very much game to enjoy. Seeing as it appears that they had to resort to using content from two other games, the game could've used more imaginative designers. I know I'm being too hard on this game, but, another thing that bothers me is the lack of custom content. I would definitely say it would be worth money if it had the level of customizability as Amnesia or Gmod. So, at best, I'd give it a 7.5/10, instead of my earlier rating.

Posted Mar 3, '14 at 2:32am

Medabotz

Medabotz

12 posts

Well, you could probably try Eclipse war since they're on beta. Then there's the other game genres out there that maybe you haven't tried.

Reply to Played that, what's next?

You must be logged in to post a reply!