ForumsGamesPlayed that, what's next?

7 2107
MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,746 posts

Here's the story: You just beat a game, and you thought it was great. You want to follow up with something equally awesome, but you don't know where to turn. Game Informer says it's great, but your friend says it's terrible. Reviews are all over the place. Sure, it's the next in the series, but is it as good as the one you just played?

This thread is for the person who just finished the story/campaign/first playthrough and wants something new, but doesn't want to just throw money at the "next big thing." Come here to ask for suggestions or help those who ask, even if it's "Nooooooo do NOT get that game!"

If you just finished a game and want to write a review (good or bad), do it in two paragraphs or less. Include what YOU thought was most important. Have fun!

• 7 Replies
Charlie506
Charlie506
1,313 posts

I just beat Super Mario Bros U, and it was just like the one for the the Wii. I'm like, why didn't I get 3D land?? Do not get Super Mario Bros U, it disgusts me. Always, IMO.

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,746 posts

I just finished Mirror's Edge.

Review:
Mirror's Edge is a parkour game based in the classic "Big Brother" society, where the only way to send information with the govt finding out is by hiring a running to travel across rooftops and through buildings and deliver it by hand. The story is nothing new: someone frames your sister and is out to kill both of you. Track them down, don't get killed.

I would recommend this game, although it has far too much profanity for me (mostly mild, but sh!t is said frequently. You can mute in-game dialogue, though). It's very linear; there's really only one way to get from A to B, so not much free-running. The graphics are 2D animated cartoons in cutscenes (very unique) and brilliant, CoD-level 3D graphics in-game. The parkour can get frustrating because it is sometimes hard to tell where to go. The game will turn some objects red to indicate what to grab/jump off of/etc. It has shooter elements but discourages shooting. You can't run if you carry an assault rifle and you can die from ONE sniper round, so it's very realistic, something players may have trouble deal with at first. You have to use legitimate strategy and quick-thinking our you're dead. Invisible checkpoints and "Bullet time" exist, and the controls can be tweaked to help. Buy the PC version on Steam ($19.99) for the best gameplay (a joystick is going to frustrate you).

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,746 posts

I love indie and unique games. My current list is:
XCOM Enemy Unknown: (In progress)
Antichamber: (In progress)
Mirror Moon: (given up. Very unique, far too vague)
Mirror's Edge: (Complete. Recommended)
The Stanley Parable: (sort of in progress. I have no idea)
Portal: (Complete, 1 and 2, and they were AWESOME)
LIMBO: (In progress)

[I will review any of the above games if someone is interested]

So I want something different.
I have played plenty of CoD (4 to BO2), Halo (2 to 4, including Reach), Assassin's Creed (1 to 2: Revelations) Borderlands, etc. and I'm done with them.
No fantasy-based games with magic, spells, dragons, etc. Not a fan of that.
No generic FPS games that have been done a million times.
No profanity or lewd content.

What's next?

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,746 posts

If you liked it, you should check out the App store. Three of the old games are available at a low price in one app. Several are free, I believe. If you haven't played the first five cases from the first game, you need to. They were fantastic.

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,746 posts

If you liked them, you should check out "Ghost Trick." It's an app now and works very well on an iPad. Very, VERY original storyline, funny graphics and some seriously tricky puzzles.

The first few levels are free, then you have to buy the whole game. Personally I think this is excellent because it lets you decide if you want to actually buy the game or not, and it's a full-length game anyway. It's worth a download if you haven't tried it yet.

Medabotz
Medabotz
12 posts

Well, you could probably try Eclipse war since they're on beta. Then there's the other game genres out there that maybe you haven't tried.

sinhellsing
sinhellsing
357 posts

I finished Dishonored, including all its DLCs some time ago and I just noticed this topic.

Review:
Dishonored it's probably one of the greatest stealth game I've played. You get to play with Corvo Attano who has to restore his honor after he is betrayed by the ones he trusted the most, by becoming one of the most wanted assassins.

I would totally recommend this to anyone. It's a great game with a story tangled around many things; possibilities to end missions change as you kill NPCs/let them live. You get some awesome powers which assist you throughout the game by making you faster, stronger and better. Graphics tend to be somewhat steampunk but not really, the game looks like it's placed in somewhat post-apocalyptic future mixed with past. There are also ratings for how you finish a mission, you can either go non-lethal, without killing anyone YOURSELF. (Yes, there are side-missions throughout the missions which will reward you with the target's assassination), Ghost and, I don't know how it's really called, the one where you go rampage on them.
The game also has substories which you find throughout the game and the more you play it the more interesting it gets.

Showing 1-7 of 7