ForumsThe TavernMosquito Genocide

13 4324
stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

Why are we not funding the eradication of mosquitos? It's been proven that the removal of mosquitos would barely impact ecosystems negatively, and in the long term would improve ecosystems. It would also slow down the spread of diseases such as Malaria. Mosquitos are nothing but pests, and they have no positive effects on nature. Anyone else feel the same way?

• 13 Replies
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Every feels the same way Jim, but you have to remember:

1. Mosquito's lay eggs in stagnant water. This can range from a pond, to a bucket in your back yard.

2. When they lay eggs, they lay a huge number of them.

In short, I don't believe a total eradication of the mosquito is even possible within the next 500 years. Their ability to lay eggs pretty much everywhere makes it rather difficult to combat them effectively. You could kill 10 breeding grounds, and 50 times more then what you killed would appear.

I don't think we'll live to see it happen anytime soon.

Pedro97
Pedro97
1,870 posts
Jester

1. Mosquito's lay eggs in stagnant water. This can range from a pond, to a bucket in your back yard.

2. When they lay eggs, they lay a huge number of them.

And 3. Most people are not aware that mosquito's lay eggs in stagnant water or don't ever care about it. It makes the eradication even less possible.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

No, I don't think the total eradication of mosquitoes is possible. There are means to strongly diminish the population of mosquitoes in one location (like ponds) if they become excessively numerous, and I think this has already been done. Some kind of pathogen you can spread in the water that apparently only attacks the mosquito larvae or something similar..

.. but it's true that the total eradication of mosquitoes, if possible, would necessitate a globally coordinated measure over a certain time span, and there are problems with that. One, it likely would cost a nice amount of money (I say likely though I have no clue, but I think it's a safe guess). Two, poor people in third world countries couldn't pay their part so don't count on some corporation to do it for free.

HOBCOP
HOBCOP
35 posts
Nomad

Mosquitos are useful and hospitals rely on them in order to obtain blood to put into needles, which they will use to stab people with AIDS with to cure them. If you want to kill mosquitos, then you will also be killing millions of people with aids and is that what you really want? Jerk. P.S. I am founder of save the mosquitos as I am half mosquito myself, on my dads side. If this post offended you go cry yourself to sleep. :*

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

stab people with AIDS with to cure them.

...but at the moment AIDS can't be cured...

as I am half mosquito myself, on my dads side.

Well looks like we'll need to eradicate you too, where do you live?

And I don't see mosquitoes as much of a problem to me... Basically the only time I've ever around them is when i'm out hiking in the woods, in which case I have bug spray on. So though I guess it would have an overall positive effect on Earth I don't think it's possible or necessary.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Mosquitos are useful and hospitals rely on them in order to obtain blood to put into needles, which they will use to stab people with AIDS with to cure them.

That's not how it works.

...but at the moment AIDS can't be cured...

Look up bone marrow transplants.
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Look up bone marrow transplants.

then my teacher lied...
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

If mosquitos lay their eggs in stagnant water, we could just rid the world of its entire water supply and the mosquito population would be completely eradicated.

But we'd never hear the end of it from the EPA.

If this post offended you go cry yourself to sleep. :*

I was offended by the kissy face at the end. We're clearly not there yet.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Mosquitos are useful and hospitals rely on them in order to obtain blood to put into needles, which they will use to stab people with AIDS with to cure them. If you want to kill mosquitos, then you will also be killing millions of people with aids and is that what you really want? Jerk. P.S. I am founder of save the mosquitos as I am half mosquito myself, on my dads side. If this post offended you go cry yourself to sleep. :*

I don't believe your story for one minute.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

I got a couple ideas, but it won't do anything massively significant. It would help you out in your neck of the woods, though.

1. Bats. Make bat houses specifically outside, make sure they aren't living inside anywhere, like garages. It's as simple as carving a decently-wide wooden covering and attaching it to a tree. Many bats can live in one. Then, at night, the bats come out and feast on bugs including mosquitoes while gulping for some water that may just have mosquito spawn.

2. Pitcher Plants are limited to high-rainfall climates, but you can get the North American version, the Trumpet Pitcher. You gotta Live in these areas to successfully pot them, though. Bugs get attracted to the "stagnant" water, fall in and get trapped by the pitcher plant, than it forcibly drowns the bug inside. This is the kicker: it AND the mutualistic larvae inside will digest and break down the bugs/spawn into nutrition.

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Supersaturate the atmosphere with DDT to kill those ****ers off! >:O

HOBCOP
HOBCOP
35 posts
Nomad

I live in Sanantonio texas, and in the south thats how we cure AIDS. Its true ask Magic Johnson.

Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

i dont care about mosquitos to be honest, i have not since one, or have been bit by one in a couple years. i forgot they even existed until this post

Showing 1-13 of 13