ForumsGamesCTC2PP: Custom Castle Contest

1474 255667
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

This is the official Crush the Castle 2 Players Pack contest. You've come to the right place.

You're probably wondering how this contest works. Basically, we (the three judges) give you a theme at the beginning of each round, and you, the contestant, build a castle that follows the theme in some way. Then, so we can count your castle as an entry, take the link to that castle and post it in this thread. If it isn't posted in this thread by the deadline (and the deadline will always be a specific date and time), we will not be able to count it as an entry for that round.

If you've never built a castle before, or you want to brush up on your building skills, check out this guide made by @Arm_Candy.

This is a weekly contest, so each round will last 5 days, with 2 days being designated for judging. Every week, the theme will change and a new round will begin. Pretty easy to grasp.

Oh, and the winner of each round receives a merit, a spot in the CTC2PP Hall of Fame, and a rare quest that can only be earned through winning (or judging) a level building contest:

http://quests.armorgames.com/website/5/media/icon/d06fa73d7b7eaa626941288fc59ce86a.png?v=1398292205
-------------------------------------------------------------
RULES
Yes, there are rules. What did you expect?

Basic rules for this contest, written originally by @PrivatePapi for his old CTC contest:
1. Do not spam under any circumstance.
2. Only enter 1 castle for each category.
3. Do not ask either of us which category will be next.
4. Do not copy somebody else's castle if you do not have permission from him/her.
5. When entering for the contest, always submit your castle according to the current category.
6. Have fun!

And this section, written by @FishPreferred:
a) All entries must be playable and have at least 1 person in them. It seems obvious, but who knows?
b) Entries that are so overladen with stuff that they cause considerable lag will not be eligible. Considerable lag is herein defined as "a big freakin' pile of lag that renders an entry virtually unplayable without severely overheating my 3 year old computer".
c) Entries should be stable enough to last a full minute without collapsing, and should require at least one shot in order to be won. This applies to every part of the contest that doesn't explicitly state otherwise in its instructions.
d) Any entry which the judges deem to be inappropriate (in a lewd, indecent, or libellious sense) will be disqualified, and most likely deleted by the admin.

And lastly, a few additional notes added by yours truly:
- The only castles you are allowed to post in this thread are contest entries. If you link to more than one castle, only the most recent one will be treated as an official entry, unless otherwise specified.
- All entries must be built specifically for the contest and for the current theme. You can't submit castles that you entered in previous rounds, or anything that was built before the beginning of the current round.

Looks like a lot of rules, but it's all intuitive. You'll have no trouble following these guidelines.
Optional: CODE
Some architects like to take things a step further and modify castle codes to do things that otherwise wouldn't be possible in the regular editor mode. This method will not give you a significant advantage over other contestants, but it may be of interest if you want to play around with the editor a bit. Code modification is not a requirement for this competition.

How to modify castle codes by @SSTG.

If you don't modify castle codes or have any plans to in the future, you can skip over this next part.

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR CODERS: If you decide to use code-modified elements in an entry, take caution, for, although code-editing can be useful for certain details, excessive use of code-modified elements in an entry could lead to a deduction of points from the entry.
That's the contest in a nutshell. Just remember to check back every week for the results of each round, as well as the theme for the next round. I will post the theme for the first round after this post ends, so as not to confuse first-time submitters in the future.

And if you have any ideas for future themes, contact @CourtJester or myself or post your theme idea in the thread.

That certainly was a lot of words. Over 700 of them. It may seem like a lot to take in, but this contest is all about having fun, despite all these large blocks of text.

So get hyped, get building, and have fun with it!

Did I mention there's a merit prize to the winner of each round?

• 1,474 Replies
gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

Bamboo Towers

I've never built or shared a completed castle before, but I think this one fits the theme well enough. My first design just fell over after two minutes, so I scrapped it and built one that doesn't fall over unless you hit it with a log in the right place.

Theoprastus
Theoprastus
2,197 posts
Nomad

theme idea: Monsters, Creatures & Beasts

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

Great entries so far. I can already tell that this is going to be a difficult round to judge (that's a good thing).

Also, theme suggestions are always appreciated.

theme suggestion: "TIME"

You'll have to explain that one to me. It seems so broad a topic for a theme for just one round. Maybe narrow it down a notch to something a bit more specific?

theme suggestion #1: Rube Goldberg Machines

I was already planning on doing at least one chain reaction round, but there is so much that can be done with them that I might split it up into a few different, more specific categories for separate rounds, just to see what people come up with.

theme suggestion #2: historic event (examples - worlds fair, WWII, bubonic plague)

That could be interesting. The hard part on this one would be finding the line between too general (i.e. just "historical events&quot and too specific (WWII, underground railroad, first recorded flight, etc.), but it could be done. It might also work to use time periods, such as the Roman Empire or 18th-century Europe, as themes.

theme suggestion #3: alice in wonderland

I'll need an explanation for this one as well. Do you mean castles that are actually based on the story of Alice in Wonderland, or just very psychedelic castles in general?

theme idea: ASTRONOMY

That could work, but it could also backfire if a bunch of people misunderstood and just put a bunch of evenly-spaced white foundation blocks in the sky. Still, it would be interesting to see how people interpret this theme.

theme idea: Monsters, Creatures & Beasts

This is an idea better saved for a later round, when more people have a bit more experience with the castle builder. Then we'll see a wide array of spectacular horrific creations.

All of these themes will be taken into consideration and discussed by the council of elders (the judges). Probably in this thread.
Theoprastus
Theoprastus
2,197 posts
Nomad

theme suggestion: "TIME"

You'll have to explain that one to me. It seems so broad a topic for a theme for just one round. Maybe narrow it down a notch to something a bit more specific?
- i dont think it needs to be explained - but... "time" usually interpreted as some form of chronological measurement - clocks, calendars, minutes, days, etc ..anything to do with time - i really don think its so broad , and even so, everyone will have there own interpretation of it - put it out there as is -
Theoprastus
Theoprastus
2,197 posts
Nomad

>>> ernie - go here: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/time - pretty much says what i said and what it basically means; ergo, so will i think most everyone else will think that way too

Theoprastus
Theoprastus
2,197 posts
Nomad

..and if not, they might do something with the word time in the title, i.e. "time to..." or "time for.." - so i say let sleeping dogs lie on that one

devansh_asthana
devansh_asthana
480 posts
Farmer

WOOHOO!A fun contest is all we want!

Theoprastus
Theoprastus
2,197 posts
Nomad

heres one that i think that would be a really good theme: SCIENCE FICTION - and if u say thats "too broad" or "needs an explanation', i kill u in a level - XD

devansh_asthana
devansh_asthana
480 posts
Farmer

Yeah,Science Fiction is a good theme.Good ideas out there!

Theoprastus
Theoprastus
2,197 posts
Nomad

more themes:
- law & order / crime & punishment
- sports & sporting events
- robotics
- performing arts
- parks & forests / fish & wildlife
- greek mythology
- history 101
- aeronautics
- marine life
- question (title in the in the form of a question)

Theoprastus
Theoprastus
2,197 posts
Nomad

whats with u guys and wanting explanations for the theme ideas? - what does it matter what it means? let them worry about what it means, thats part of the idea of this contest isnt it?
if Alice means castles or cat, what does it matter,
but u might end up with two having the Mad Hatter

Theoprastus
Theoprastus
2,197 posts
Nomad

theme idea: petroleum
explanation: major products of oil refineries

CherryCoke360
CherryCoke360
407 posts
Nomad

lets hope I have this link thing down.. haha

Swaying Tower of Ghana

CherryCoke360
CherryCoke360
407 posts
Nomad

Yes it worked! I have mastered bbcode.. xp

Clancy12
Clancy12
6,400 posts
Lord

I spent about 2 hours making a castle last night. Just before I was to post it the power went out and I lost it. I'll try to find some time to build it again today.

Showing 16-30 of 1474