ForumsGamesMovies based on games?

27 6449
Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

so whats your opinion on movies based on games?

http://i58.tinypic.com/vzd6v5.jpg

• 27 Replies
PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

Book to movie adaptations are difficult enough. Seriously difficult.
Doom for example, just bad. The game didn't even have a story to begin with; I should say a very limited one at most. Name a successful movie that was inspired from a game. Good luck. It's easier to take a movie, like Cars, and make product for it after the fact.

It's like trying to take a song and adapting it to a novel. Or a painting to a musical. Although it can be "done", the results will be less than awesome.
CGI is a huge issue. There would have to be a lot of it. Most games that aren't First Person Shooters have a lot of fantasy elements to them. This would be a large issue for directors and producers alike.

I just don't think film makers respect games, actually a lot of people don't respect the medium as art, yet. And to take a game seriously and make it into a good movie would be asking too much of them. The best, I think, we have right now is that Halo movie from Peter Jackson...yeah...and what did we get? District 9. Not really about anything, other than social and political commentary on illegal immigration. (at least some slight undertones.) ((and by slight I mean it couldn't have been more obvious.))

I would love to see a director, take a serious look at a game to film adaptation without messing it up. I think Peter Jackson was our best hope....but that got flushed down the corporate toilet of greed.
What list of games would we like to see as movies. Movies on the Lord of the Rings scale of legit.

I would LOVE to see a movie on the first Bioshock. Sander Cohen is BY FAR one of the best, most memorable characters the industry has ever had in a long time.

Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

i think a bioshock movie would be cool, but they would find a way to mess it up. i liked the sh and resident evil movies though they werent to true to the games

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Wished they made a Warhammer 40K movie. Doubt they'll ever do it

I think it's rather hard to make movies based on games, because many of the popular games are only sought after by guys, hence a limited target audience.

I doubt CGI is a huge thorn in making such movies; after Avatar came along and blew away the barrier, the specs seem fully capable of keeping up with the whims of the director. I think the main problem lies with writing up a suitable plot that would stay true to the game, yet would not be so esoteric that a non-gamer would not understand, nor would it be drawn out (as many game plots tend to be).

CherryCoke360
CherryCoke360
407 posts
Nomad

I never saw tron legacy but I heard it wasn't that bad. did anyone here see it? its the only movie I can think of based on a game that didn't get horrible reviews haha

carol22
carol22
24 posts
Nomad

very nice

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I never saw tron legacy but I heard it wasn't that bad. did anyone here see it? its the only movie I can think of based on a game that didn't get horrible reviews haha

I don't think one can really claim that it's based on a game, since there was an original prequel that preceded any game. But I do agree that overall, it's a lovely film; the acting was a little shabby, but the CGI and the delightful opera-techno score made up for it.
CherryCoke360
CherryCoke360
407 posts
Nomad

so basically tron legacy is a movie based on a game based on a movie? haha that's crazy.. but was the first one any good?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

so basically tron legacy is a movie based on a game based on a movie? haha that's crazy.. but was the first one any good?

Yep, you could say so I guess! Haha, I wasn't old enough to watch it, (1982!), but apparently it was revolutionary for the time, one of the first uses of CG on a massive scale. Still, I would only recommend watching the first one for the story, or if you're a Tron fanatic, the graphics of old are....awful when compared to Tron Legacy.
CherryCoke360
CherryCoke360
407 posts
Nomad

Man now I have to see both of them.. I don't think either of them are on Netflix and I can probably find the new one at a dvd rental store, but the old one will probably be hard to find

Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

I liked the doom movie I thought it managed to make a pretty good film considering it had little story to go on.

The resident evil films are not that bad I'd like it if they did a movie based more on the resident evil 4 game as I enjoyed playing it a lot when I was younger they even brought out a hd remake fairly recently which I'm just waiting to go on sale.

Silent hill I think was one that they based on the game I know there is a game and I think it came out first but silent hill really needs to explain itself more its one of those films that is just hard to follow.

I think one that should be done is cod nazi zombies the easter eggs where really interesting evening though they decimated it when they started with the whole spiritual and space crap it just killed it for me they should have just left the story after der riese on a cliffhanger. A similar film to this is The Outpost which isnt bad but they *Spoilers*

Aren't zombies but ghosts

Charlie506
Charlie506
1,298 posts
Nomad

Twist:

Games based on movies.

Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

Games based on movies.

most of those are terrible
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

I know lots of people who want a Starcraft movie (CGI of course).

I think if you are going to do large fantasy games, live action isn't that feasible.

p.s. imagine if the entirety of Doom was fps, do you think it would've been better?

~~~Darth Caedus

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Games based on movies.

The only one worth mentioning is the Spiderman 2 one
CherryCoke360
CherryCoke360
407 posts
Nomad

Games based on movies.

Is it just me or is every game based on a kids movie or tv show the exact same game with different characters..?
Showing 1-15 of 27