ForumsGamesMovies based on games?

27 6450
Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

so whats your opinion on movies based on games?

http://i58.tinypic.com/vzd6v5.jpg

• 27 Replies
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Yeah, My favorite movies based on games are the Resident Evil movies.

Sci-fi/Horror/Action
http://www.allmystery.de/i/t84c405_450da8_science_fiction_movie_wallpaper.jpg

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Oh lord the Resident Evil games.

Nothing like taking a completely different direction than the games, but keeping the title to keep revenue.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Oh lord the Resident Evil games.

*movies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

As I recall, the Bourne games are usually decent. Then again, it is of the action genre.

*movies

*books
Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

the resident evil movies only gets an audience cause of the movies. if they never mentioned the few RE characters or T virus and replace all that, it would be just another zombie series

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Need for Speed better be good. No more sucky game-to-movies please....

Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

why do they need a movie based on a racing game.. we already have 2 fast 2 furious... and i dont even like those :/

gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

Need for Speed better be good.

Aaron Paul from Breaking Bad is playing the lead, so it can't be that bad. It will probably be a lot like the Fast and Furious series.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

[quote]Games based on movies.

most of those are terrible[/quote]

Most, but not all. I consider 007: Agent Under Fire to be quite the exception. I'd rather play that for three hours than watch a James Bond movie, and I like James Bond films.
Kreitmaker
Kreitmaker
290 posts
Jester

I hope the Need for Speed film is good. The fact that its story isn't based on any of the games (that had a campaign) gives it some credibility to me (direct adaptations are harder to please the audience). In other news:

http://www.deadline.com/2014/03/screen-gems-takes-on-sony-playstation-vidgame-adaptation-the-last-of-us/

I liked The Last of Us, but **** am I worried about this. For many, many reasons.

PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

The Last of Us was already a game-movie.

Then again, most new games are just that, interactive movies. Most of the games are cut scenes and the game itself is so linear it questions the very mathematical essence of what a theoretical straight-line truly is. Even with "choice" the player is pushed down a pipeline. But I don't want to get into that metaphorical mess. Just go play The Stanley Parable if you want mind numbing, mind blowing, mind warping Matrix-esque gobbly-gook.
---------------------------------------------------------
1. Quality
2. Budget
3. Story

Here's what I mean by CGI being an issue for directors and producers. Take for example LOTR's and now watch the Sy-Fy channel. There is a clear difference of the quality of animated characters. Even if the story is decent, stereotypes emerge from low quality production. Even I have limits of respectable showcasing. The majority of people who aren't sold aren't going to be brought in with milquetoast production. And that's where one problem lies with Game to Move adaptation.

Good CGI isn't easy nor cheap. I would argue a movie like, Frozen, is easier to produce because it's entirely animated. Whereas, The Hobbit or Avatar is mixed live action and green-screen. The budgets on these are astronomical! to say the very least. Budget, another obstacle. You get what you pay for.

Now about the Transformer movies. They took some essence, sprinkled in some sugar and spice, and every nice and added some chemical T; Robots that transform. The story is ever evolving and so too are the characters. Has Bumble Bee ever been one car long enough to be his own? No. But that's not the point.

With an adaptation, how true to the theme are we able to accept? Does it really need to be verbatim? Can we keep the story but add more at poetic license? Or should we keep the original characters so people recognize them but give them an entirely new story? Or everything new all together but now can we call it that from where it came?

I'm a purist. I'm that type of person who would take the time and sit through a 30 hour Harry Potter film if it were verbatim because I love the books and think they offer much more than the film adaptations ever could. And there are people like me. And there are people who are completely happy with how the films are now. [And they are good films, do not get me wrong.]

I seriously considered going into the movie industry just so I could make adaptions real, true, and respectable. This may have been after watching the Doom movie and the failure that it was. I love science fiction. I love space. I love religious undertones., I love the original Alien movies. Doom is something dark and visceral and the concept of metal-machine-flesh-blood-soul is truly demonic in nature. A perversion of God's creation. Freaking scary s***!

I cannot wait for the day when they make a good movie from a good game. Movies today are just trash and so predicable. They mainly gamble on good graphics and that's so shallow. But people don't care and they are willing to accept less. There was a time when protests meant something and a time when not purchasing a product meant something too.

Showing 16-26 of 27