ForumsPopular MediaPhilip Seymour Hoffman found dead

17 15477
Fiends
Fiends
114 posts
Peasant

http://nypost.com/20...-his-apartment/

Oscar-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead of an apparent drug overdose inside a Greenwich Village home on Sunday, cops said. Hoffmanâs body was found by a friend at 11:30 a.m. Sunday morning in an apartment at 35 Bethune St., sources said.Cops are at the scene and are investigating, sources said. Hoffman has admittedly struggled with drug addiction in the past, and reportedly checked himself into rehab last year for heroin abuse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-i3ECq-LO0

One of my favourite actors of all time, RIP.
  • 17 Replies
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

Here's a link to the article (the one above goes to something entirely different), and here's the Youtube link in clickable form.

I haven't actually seen many of Philip's films, but I've only heard good things about him as an actor, so I have a feeling I'll find myself watching more of his stuff in the near future.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Magnolia, Ernie.

Splendid. & Utterly rewatchable.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

What's with actors and drugs?
There are many ways to have fun, why always using stupid drugs?

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

cause hollywood stars have everything... now they want more and drugs is one such thing. they all say "dont use drugs" but they use it themselves.. just like me. anyway... great actor, played in great movies, but his bad side got the better of him... to bad.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

There are many ways to have fun, why always using stupid drugs?

Huge psychological thing..let me see if I can explain it well..

Basically, when these people perform (ranging from actors/actresses to musicians as well) they receive a "high". Their lifestyle (fame and fortune etc etc) gives them a "high" as well. Eventually, they become used to this high, but now their body is craving that high feeling again.
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad
IceClaw247
IceClaw247
843 posts
Jester

He was a tremendously talented actor that will be missed by all. What is sad about this is not only that it was a waste of a life but suicides by overdose of drugs is not uncommon in the film industry.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

i dont think it was a suicide. he was clean for 15 year and just recently started using again. maybe he just toke a amount his body was able to stand 15 year ago. but now not anymore. (unless i missed some news of him being depressed and stuff lately.)

pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke

As far as i know. He checked into to Rehab around a year ago. Not sure how long he stayed clean after that. I can only go by on assumptions here but i think it is one of two scenarios. Either from the use of drugs getting out of control and the comedown that some give. It was Heroin that was found in his apartment. The comedown effects of it is extreme and it an addiction you have to keep taking more or the withdrawal effects can actually kill you. From the comedown the depression from it can make it seem like and endless fight against addiction. The options that could of happened, is the depression was to much and all other cares go out the world so you just want to end it. Or that when he went to feed the addiction is body might of not been able to handle it. Depending on how high his tolerance was at the time.

Judging from the length of time would be on it. Say at least month to year. It would be difficult to notice that much of a change in someone. Most don't notice change in people until after a few year, when the condition is critical.

Fiends
Fiends
114 posts
Peasant

and here's the Youtube link in clickable form.

You should've told how you did that...oh well, you're a knight.

The comedown effects of it is extreme and it an addiction you have to keep taking more or the withdrawal effects can actually kill you.

Nailed it right on the head there, this serves as a lesson for all of those thinking in consuming heroin.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

You should've told how you did that...oh well, you're a knight.

I'll give you the entire BBCode Guide.
OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

Another talented American falls victim to drug abuse.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

i would like to disturb the thought/view that is currently here about that Philip Hoffman has been using this drug for few year already or that he had never stopped using it.
cause he has been clean for 23 year befor he started using it again last year. (1 of many sources)

The comedown effects of it is extreme and it an addiction you have to keep taking more or the withdrawal effects can actually kill you.

yes they are but they are not that extreme anymore after 1 year then they are after 2 months not using it. leave alone 23 year.. he had long passed that period of withdrawal.. however, the effects of the drug on the body is that extreme that the feeling of needing it can return at any moment. (but doesn't have to)
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

[quote=Fiends]You should've told how you did that...oh well, you're a knight.[/quote]

[OT] Just posting a link, it should turn out a working hyperlink; there are no codes needed.

It may sometimes happen the (forum software) code misfires, and the link turns out unclickable. Oh well. Ain't no biggie, and people can just copy-paste it or so

Re: heroin, what never fails to shock me is the realization how someone in that position, too, may fall for it, and just as easily. (And then heroin, it's hardly a popular or perceivedly "cool" drug anymore, or at least and certainly not where I live.) And apparently pursue a successful career.

Then again it's said that if you can afford it, it is actually easy to keep up a pretty functional life on it. It's where most people can't that problems usually arise.

Anyhows, may he rest in peace, again. Overdose is not uncommon in the field no (and like PartyDevil said, certainly after a break. Or say if one were to suddenly acquire a batch of a quality one isn't used to), and failing other indications I see no reason to speculate on the matter.

That notion of heroin withdrawal being potentially fatal I'm not so sure about (it certainly is with e.g. full-blown alcoholism!), but either way, it well may be, and I'd by no means want to advocate the stuff. All those stories about it being well-nigh instantaneously addictive and immediately leading to tolerance (needing ever more to experience the same effect) I can attest to. (No, I swiftly dropped it again, thanks, mostly for that reason. Way back when.) And as the story goes, real users scarcely experience the high anymore if at all, anyhows, it's mostly the cold turkey (withdrawal) they're busy warding off forever.

As for the question why? Because it really is dang good, that's why. But, as I hope to have made clear: Do not even go there, indeed. Already my second time it wasn't quite as good, and I did need more of it. And "just dropping" it after even a short while may not at all go so easy on some, as it did to me; I've used and dropped a lot of things and am not a fool if I may say so myself, so maybe that helped me.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I'd like to add that I never have much sympathy for victims of drug OD's, but I've never been in the place to experience it. At this point I suppose it's sad that (yet another) person has succumb to drugs, but this type of thing happens a lot. Maybe I'm desensitized to it; I'm not sure. It does, however, anger me that celebrities receive special treatment for, you know, everything.

Showing 1-15 of 17