Forums

ForumsVideo Games

Getting mad at video games.

Posted Feb 4, '14 at 12:40am

codyrousseau

codyrousseau

66 posts

Okay so my friend has really bad gamer anger. Like he yells and screams and breaks controllers and swears. He just looks really ridiculous. I've never gotten mad at video games and I don't see why anybody should. There just video games. How could someone get that mad at video games?

Posted Feb 4, '14 at 11:33am

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

3,464 posts

Try playing the Halo Reach campaign on legendary or playing MW2 in a lobby full of quickscoping campers...

~Manly

Posted Feb 4, '14 at 1:22pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

5,050 posts

I gave up MW2 a long time ago. Not so much the quick scoping as the lag. I have a great Internet connection but the constant lag made me drop it.

I used to be a rage gamer. Not to the point of smashing controllers or profanity, but I yelled a lot, and I got REALLY mad. I didn't curse because I don't at all. If I did, I have no doubt I would have been yelling profanity.

Here's some advice for you:
1. Do NOT constantly say "Dude, it's just a game" or "Stop taking it so seriously." You are absolutely correct, but it will just make him angrier. Why? Because he knows you're right, down inside, but he's already angry and hearing that just makes it worse. It has the opposite effect.
2. Don't yell back. You'll end up in a yelling contest and it'll just make you mad too. My brother put up with a lot of me, and if he yelled, we both got really, really ticked off, almost to physical violence. Mostly because he was way better at gaming that I was and kept stomping me. Smash Bros was the worst.
3. The best thing to do is to just take a break. "Hey, I'm not going to play if you're mad. Sorry, but it's not worth it." He'll probably get mad, but it'll wear off much faster. If he's playing by himself, and he's using your stuff, you have the right to tell him to stop using it. Yeah he'll get mad, but it's YOUR stuff. If he's playing by himself, and it's his stuff, you may want to just leave.

You won't accomplish much by going down to his level of rage, and he's not going to come up to your level of calm.

There are two ways to go about helping him:
1. Play co-op and don't get mad. When he gets mad, take a break. Be careful to not be a hypocrite! My buddy Andrew always says "Dude, relax," or "Hey. Hey. Calm down," but then when I start kicking his butt he gets ticked off like I did.
2. Tell him to ditch MW2 if he plays it online. Rage city.
3. Leave him alone forever.

Just kidding about 3. Sort of. I managed to quit my rage by not playing video games for a while, then practicing and getting better at them, or because my mother banned them.

Why does he get mad? To be honest, I'm not quite sure. It might have something to do with pride or inferiority. If other people are not performing at his level, it's frustrating. That still irritates me, because I would be doing better if my teammate was doing his part. If someone else is better than you, it's frustrating. That still irritates me, because it don't like losing repeatedly. But then sometimes you get to the point where you use the same cheap tactics to win that made you mad, which is messed up.

But I get over it by taking a break (if it's single-player) or switching lobbies and probably taking another break. 10 minutes for me. Sometimes I call it a day.  Depends how bad it is.

tl;dr, He gets mad because other people are better than him and it gets under his skin, or people other people are not as good as him (on his team) and they're dragging him down. It makes him physically angry because he's immature and underage. I'd bet $20 that he isn't 18 yet. You can't fix him, but you can help him by playing co-op and taking a break when he gets mad. It'll get better as he gets older.

Or you can be an enormous jerk and tell him to try "Super Meat Boy." Anyone who knows anything about it (or has played it) knows it might kill him.

Posted Feb 4, '14 at 2:54pm

Gamer_Cale

Gamer_Cale

1,414 posts

You get annoyed if you lose at anything just because its a game doesnt mean you cant get annoyed by it

Posted Feb 4, '14 at 8:20pm

Drink

Drink

1,590 posts

i never get mad at games unless its an online FPS. and only campers get me mad, i usually just leave the game  before i break something

Posted Feb 4, '14 at 8:48pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

5,050 posts

i usually just leave the game  before i break something

Sounds about right.

You could try Team Fortress 2. Tons of strategies. Tons of ways to hate things, though. That game is generally really awesome or really frustrating.

Posted Feb 4, '14 at 9:29pm

R2D21999

R2D21999

8,566 posts

I get mad, mostly on Mario though. Like if I keep dying on the same thing over and over again I will get mad.

Although I remember in Super Mario Sunshine there was a level, something to do with a bird made of sand blocks. It was so frustrating, you had to ride a giant bird made of sand to the top of a tower. Thing was the sand bird was extremely slow so it took a long time to get to the top, not only that but you have to collect 8 red coins while doing it, so if you miss one you have to start over. But the most incredible rage inducing part was that it spun and it spins only once almost at the end so its really unexpected and there's almost nowhere to go once it spins, so most of the time I fall to my death.

Posted Feb 4, '14 at 11:03pm

blk2860

blk2860

4,214 posts

I get really angry when my controller just disconnects, and I die. I literally cracked one side of it open. Anyway, another thing that angers me is when people keep distracting me, when there's a ridiculously difficult boss, when there's a Yao Guai in Fallout 3, when someone camps in CoD, when my cat shuts down my Xbox right before I save, when my cat gets in front of the screen, when someone is literally just breathing heavily on their mic on CoD, when I miss one crucial step of something and have to start over again, when my batteries stop working (Cracked a pair of them open in the trash can once.), when someone uses a rocket launcher against me on CoD...

*Takes a deep breath* When someone asks me to do them a favor while I'm playing my Xbox, when some idiot unplugs the modem and shuts down the internet, when I lose any given mission on a GTA or Saints Row game six times or more, when an enemy is way too overpowered, when something requires the use of the left side of my PS2 controller (My cousin broke it.), when Watch Dogs got delayed, when it turned out that the next GTA wasn't in Vice City, when I have to do an RC mission in Vice City, when Gmod crashes, when a game that took ages to download doesn't work...

Need I say more?

Posted Feb 4, '14 at 11:09pm

blk2860

blk2860

4,214 posts

or profanity

How is that equivalent to destroying a $60 dollar controller? How?

Or you can be an enormous jerk and tell him to try "Super Meat Boy." Anyone who knows anything about it (or has played it) knows it might kill him.

Tell him to try to play Cat Mario on the internet. Make sure to get him on video.

Okay so my friend has really bad gamer anger. Like he yells and screams and breaks controllers and swears.

...Well clearly you need to let him win sometimes if you're playing split screen. Just mess up on purpose, eventually he'll get better at the game, and you can play at full potential.

How could someone get that mad at video games?

It's because you REALLY want to win, and keep failing. Imagine this. You know a way to get thousands of dollars, and every time you try you fail. Worse still, pretty much everyone you know has done it successfully, besides you. That's basically what it feels like to him. Just let him win once in a while when you're playing multiplayer.

Posted Feb 5, '14 at 9:32am

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

5,050 posts

Tell him to try to play Cat Mario on the internet. Make sure to get him on video.

I was going to suggest that, but that seemed TOO evil. Then again, the video might go viral.

...Well clearly you need to let him win sometimes if you're playing split screen. Just mess up on purpose, eventually he'll get better at the game, and you can play at full potential.

That doesn't work. It's like when a child keeps screaming for his mom to buy him a toy and she does it just to shut him up. Trust me; he'll catch on that you're letting him win, and he'll get even more ticked because (seriously) he'll think you're pitying him because he's worse, and he'll take it the wrong way because he already takes things the wrong way. You disrespectful, pathetic friend. You aren't, but it'll seem that way.

My bro did that a few times playing SSBB. When I realized he was doing it on purpose just to make me be quiet, I got even more irritated. The only way to get better is to be trained and to fail. Fail a lot. That's how life works. It's annoying and frustrating, but you get stronger from finding your mistakes and fixing them.

I wish I could be more helpful, but there isn't a magic cure for a rage gamer.

Reply to Getting mad at video games.

You must be logged in to post a reply!