ForumsForum GamesThe first Man in Rome (RPG, open world)

103 19969
danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

(Just to amke it clear - the meaning of the title is "The citizen number 1 in Rome" in a matter of rank, not as the first one in the city ever).

You are a citizen of Rome. Year - 150 bc. Your goal - whatever you want. Aim for the stars.

A little background -

Rome. Rome control almost the entire Peninsula. To the north, the many gauls tribes. To the east, on Italy, Rome share the land with the samnites and the Marsic tribes, all client kingdomes of Rome. In the south there is the african province, the occupied state of Carthage.
To the west, almost the entire Iberian Peninsula is under Roma control.
Rome control greece as well, and the entire western Coastline, all up to Venice.
Rome also control Asia - or as we call it today, the western coast of Turkey.
And for last, the islands of Corsica and Sardinia, which are under control as well.

Rome the city -
Rome is built like some kind of a circle.
In the center lay the Forum. This is the center if the city. To its west lay the "uoper" markets, like book shops and so. To the south lay the "medium" markets, like the leather market and the fish market. To the east there is the suburba - the poor district of the city. Some decent peoples live there, eveb from the higher classes, but the atmosphear is rough and gangs rule som eparts of it. Its not advised to travel there by night. To the far west lay the port, on both sides of the Tiber. Between the port and the market the jewish and syrian district stand. To the north stand the Capitol - wher the rich live. The most expensive part.

Rome is a republic. All (wealthy male who have a citizenship of the city) can nominate themselves to become a senator. There you can get many jobs, from being the one who take care of the city treasurey or the one who handle the sewers, uo to become the city Consul (one of two, as there are 2 consul at any time).
You have to possed 5000 dinariis, half in assests, to get to the rank of being able to nominate yourself.. Guaranties by others can be count as well.
Oh, and bribes are totaly legit.

There is also the class of the "Legaties" - a man owning a public horse. Something like a knight, but belong to the City and do mostly clerc jobs, but can be promoted.

And af cours, the army. You have to get your own equipment, and off you go to capua wher you can train and becone a legioneer.

There are many other things you can become. From an assassin, to a runner of a street gang, to a merchant, and maybe even travel aboard.

Name - (If you dont have a 'real' roman name you want to use, add "ilius" or "mos" to your name. Example - "Barackimos obamilius&quot
Bio - are you a Latin? Or an Italian? Maybe even jewish, a ex-slave from almost anywher or a travler. Feel free.
Abilities - (choose 3 things you are good at, subjects you studied or traits. Examples - 'surgeon', 'cook', 'lawyer', 'strong', 'healthy' and so on).
Social class - (plebh/Patriach [patriach - The former royalty, the original citizens of Rome, Plebhs - well, the rest)
Social rank - (choose from the following - 5, 4, or 3.)
[5 - "commoners" - the lowest of lowest of society, ex-slaves, refugies and non-citizens. Work on random jobs and more or less live on the free bread the city provide. Live on the poor areas of rome.
4 - owner of some properties, like a workshop or a small shop. Can also be from the low clercs, or small priests.
3 - from the less wealty "royalty", or a son of a merchant. You do have education and maybe even some financial help, but not much. You can vote and nominate yourself to the Senate].
Items - Dagger, An apple, plain white toga, Writing feather and sone papers. [i](Your speical items belonged to you. Things you carry.)

Assest - small appartment in the suburba (4th floor, heat, no running water) (The more massive things you own. A boat, for example)
Money - 1500 / (social rank) Denarii.

Feeo free to PM me any question you have!

• 103 Replies
anewbeginning
anewbeginning
379 posts
Nomad

Name - Davidimos Jonilius
Bio - Born to one of the first refugee families , Davidimos Jonilius is the best thief in his family. Recently joined up with one of the gangs for the single purpose of avoiding being targeted by the one that has massive control over his area of Suburba.
Abilities - Lockpicker, Fast, Thief
Social class - Plebh
Social rank - 5
Items - Dagger, An apple, plain white toga, Writing feather and sone papers.
Assest - small appartment in the suburba (4th floor, heat, no running water)
Money - 300 Denarii.

danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

Forgot one more stat:
Dignitas - [15 - social rank] (the total of your honor, deeds, rank, Assests and so on. How importent and respectfull you are.

Welcome Davidimos.

(Are you a jewish refuge from the Jewish uprising against the selcuids? Many "greeked" jews fled to Rome after the more religius Hesmunaies took over judea)
You live in the deep east of the suburba. Your entire expended family live all around you in an Insula - "island" - a big house with many floors and appartmrnts in it. Yours is 7 stores tall. Luckily, A crazy old priest of a forggeten diety passed away and gave you his appartment. Its rent is payed for the next 3 months. Its the morning of January, 1, 150bc.

Your uncle (one of many), Davidimos Ruxanius, knock on your door. He ask you if you are willing to come with him and give him a hand in a job he got.

anewbeginning
anewbeginning
379 posts
Nomad

Name - Davidimos Jonilius
Bio - Born to one of the first refugee families , Davidimos Jonilius is the best thief in his family. Recently joined up with one of the gangs for the single purpose of avoiding being targeted by the one that has massive control over his area of Suburba.
Abilities - Lockpicker, Fast, Thief
Social class - Plebh
Social rank - 5
Items - Dagger, An apple, plain white toga, Writing feather and sone papers.
Assest - small appartment in the suburba (4th floor, heat, no running water)
Money - 300 Denarii.
Dignitas - 10

*Sure.*

I agree and ask what the job is.

JACKinbigletters
JACKinbigletters
9,363 posts
Treasurer

Name - Magnus Rufus
Bio -.Born into a large family that has lived in Rome for many generations. The family name is well known in the docks for getting just what you're looking for. Most family members work in the ''family business'', while others are guards working on the docks. Some areas of the wharf are considered under our 'rotection', we mind our own, and others know not to come looking for trouble. Magnus found a liking to dagger work and soon became an assassin for the family.
Abilities - Stealth, Thief, Bladework (fighting with a blade)
Social class - Pleb
Social rank - 4
Items - .Dagger(s?), (spatha?), leather cloak, an apple, plain white toga, writing feather and some papers.
Assest - small apartment in the suburbs (4th floor, heat, no running water)
Money - 375 Denarii

danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

Davidimos :
"Well, we need to go to this shop, yell a little and scare the ressidents. The guys at the squar club* pay me 30 Denarii for this. Ill give you 10.

Magnus (change your assest to "appartment in the harbour, No heat, No water, 5 floor)

Magnus Rufus Posidius:
You are from a small brunch of the Posidii, the Magnus. Your mother is the daughter of a son of the brother of the head of the family. Your father own a small boat which he use to unload ships for a small government payment.

JACKinbigletters
JACKinbigletters
9,363 posts
Treasurer

Name - Magnus Rufus
Bio -.Born into a large family that has lived in Rome for many generations. The family name is well known in the docks for getting just what you're looking for. Most family members work in the ''family business'', while others are guards working on the docks. Some areas of the wharf are considered under our 'rotection', we mind our own, and others know not to come looking for trouble. Magnus found a liking to dagger work and soon became an assassin for the family.
Social class - Pleb
Social rank - 4
Items - .Dagger(s?), (spatha?), leather cloak, an apple, plain white toga, writing feather and some papers.
Assest - small apartment in the harbor (5th floor, heat, no running water)
Money - 375 Denarii

danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

Well? What you guys do?
Its an open world. Do as you want.

JACKinbigletters
JACKinbigletters
9,363 posts
Treasurer

Name - Magnus Rufus
Social class - Pleb
Social rank - 4
Items - .Daggers, spatha, leather cloak, an apple, plain white toga, writing feather and some papers.
Money - 375 Denarii

I get out of bed (I assume that its morning...) and get dressed. I throw my cloak over my shoulders and grab my weapons. I head downstairs.

danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

Magnus - You see your empty appartment. you own a small bed which clearly been used by the appartmemnt previous owner. And the one befor him.
You also notice you are running out of food, and see the note that the palls from the square club {square like town square, not the shape}. You own them 15 Denarii for the last drinking night {aka last night}.

Outside you see the usual view of your street - rubbish everywher, the dead body who lie on the edge of the road for like a week, and Pitus, the small orphane who begg for money near your door.

JACKinbigletters
JACKinbigletters
9,363 posts
Treasurer

Name - Magnus Rufus
Social class - Pleb
Social rank - 4
Items - .Daggers, spatha, leather cloak, an apple, plain white toga, writing feather and some papers.
Money - 375 Denarii

'Well met Pitus, what news do you have for me?' I pull out a single Denarii 'Walk and talk, I have business in town.'

danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

Pitus smile at you. "Well, they say that this new Senator, Gaius Marius is letting fith-rankers join the army. He even buy them the armor and all! I also heard that a big shipment of fat snails is going to arrive in two or three days. These kind are sooo expensive. Im sure its for a fat Senatoe birthday or something...".
You can see him run to the corner and buy a fried mushroom from a jewish vendor.

JACKinbigletters
JACKinbigletters
9,363 posts
Treasurer

Name - Magnus Rufus
Social class - Pleb
Social rank - 4
Money - 374 Denarii

'Hahaha yes, trying to get the populous on his side, he's a good man in the eyes of the public. But what of his personal life?' I throw the coin toward him 'He's going to run out of coin soon enough if he's buying them there equipment.' I continue to walk toward the square club. 'Now you have my interest Pitus. Tell me more of these delicacies?'

danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

"Its not HIS money. Its the state money. But he sure does loaded. He own like half of Iberia!"
He follow you with joy.

You get to he square club. You can see your fellas inside, drinking cheap wine and eating old olives and bread.

"Yo magnus! Come in!" The bartender yell.

JACKinbigletters
JACKinbigletters
9,363 posts
Treasurer

Name - Magnus Rufus
Social class - Pleb
Social rank - 4
Money - 374 Denarii

'Pitus, we will continue this conversation in a moment, business is at hand. Also dredge up any information you can about that shipment we discussed.' I say quietly. I walk into the bar.
'Good morning fine gentlemen.' I walk over to the bar. 'So whats the word around here?'

danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

"Ey' Magnus! Wassup with you?" Yell a drinking buddy from one of the tables!"
(You are 5 ranker, not a british lord...)

(Background - the Romans belived in many Superstitions belifs. One of them was, thet when Jupiter look down from the clouds, what can hebsee in Rome? The squarse. So, to prevent fron unholy energy to mass on these squarse, and therefor make him throw a lightning or other bad things on these spots, these clubs were made. They had a shrine to the gods in one room and cleaned the square. Most of them used there power to form some kind of gangs. And they had premission to sell alchool).

The leader of the square club, Drakius, throw you a glass of wine.
"We need your help pall. You see, yoy remmeber poor Mullios just lost his shop? I want you to help him. I want you to help him get some cash. I dont want you to give him, i want you to 'help him help himself'. Build his self estime again.
Afcours you can get a precent of the money. Ill also cover you *** and buy any loot you get. If you know what i mean".
"I will also forget the money you own me" he laugh. "Come on bro, I count on you to get him to his feet again".

You can see Mullios in the far end of the club, drinking.

"Got any idea for an action you can make?" Drakius ask.

Showing 1-15 of 103