ForumsWEPRKen Ham vs. Bill "The Science Guy" Nye

116 42385
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

This will be your chance to discuss the debate as it happens. At the time I'm posting this the debate will start soon. Here is a link to where you can see it.
Bill Nye Debates Ken Ham

There have been some issues raised about Nye taking on this debate. Feel free to express your views on that point as well.

• 116 Replies
Pieguyme
Pieguyme
1,010 posts
Farmer

Sorry to sound naive here, but I'm not quite sure who's arguing which point.
Can someone explain this?

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

"Dog kind"
Wouldn't that actually be "wolf kind"?

"dogs evolved from one common ancestor" - whose side is he on?

BRINGING IN ANOTHER CREATION SCIENTIST

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Bill Nye is the scientist who is debating for the Theory of Evolution, while Ken Ham is (I forget what occupation he is) debating for Creationism.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Dr. Andrew Fabich admitting his bias that was lovely

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Sorry to sound naive here, but I'm not quite sure who's arguing which point.
Can someone explain this?

Ken ham is a minister and runs the website answersingenesis and started the currently failing creationist museum where they are holding this debate. He is a creationist and is arguing for a Young Earth Model and that God created life pretty much as is.

Bill Nye is a science educator and has degree in Mechanical engineering. He is arguing fro the point of Evolution by natural selection.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

"you can't observe the age of the Earth"

Ham needs to learn his vocabulary. Say it with me "evidence"

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

That guy in the clip talking about e.coli that Ken played, the e.coli being able to metabolize citrate isn't just a matter of an existing switch being flipped. That ability is the result of new information. e.coli not being able to metabolize citrate has been a defining quality of e.coli bacteria, that was just a flat out lie.

Penalty Ken Ham on playing Bill Nye clips, quote mining fallacy.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

1) Marriage was present before Bible. Ancient China had this concept

2) He is assuming that the Bible is historically accurate..his whole argument about it is based on this assumption

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

>Dismissed Theory of Evolution because it's not 'observable science'.
>Takes history the Bible claims as true.

Wat.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

and now Ham is using his moral guidelines to state how moral relativism is wrong. Love it.

It's like saying "egoism is wrong because it causes you to be selfish"

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Biblical marriage isn't just one man, one woman.

Betty Bowers Explains Traditional Marriage to Everyone Else

On moral absolutes, let's see that part on how slavery and pedophilia is wrong.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

USING THE SWEDISH TREE **** YEAH BILL

THAT'S MY FAVORITE TREE

BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

I'm behind, but Ham just went over his "Orchard" in how two dogs split into all different kinds.

RIP Creationist Argument right there.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

I think Bill is making a lot of sense talking about Noah's Ark. I never challenged this theory before but...

btw, Bill Nye is awesome.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Yes, geological layers are not the same as sedimentary layers. A flood, even one as huge as the Noah's flood global flood would only leave a single geological layer.

Currently we use radiometric dating to measure the measure the age of the Earth. Even if you want to say that this method of dating is horribly flawed, the visual inspection of these geological layers gave estimates of an Earth that was about 96 million years old still off but far older than 6-10 thousands years. Further evidence of an old Earth after this visual inspection and still before radiometric dating was Lord Kelvins measurement of the age of the Earth using thermal gradients. This gave him an estimate of about 100 million years old. However Lord Kelvin didn't take into account the fluidic state of the mental. Lord Kelvin's partner John Perry made this correction to Lord Kelvin's estimates taking into account the nature of the mantel. This gave him an estimate of 2-3 billion years old.

So go ahead and ignore radiometric dating, the evidence will still not be on your side.

Showing 16-30 of 116