ForumsWEPRKen Ham vs. Bill "The Science Guy" Nye

116 42292
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

This will be your chance to discuss the debate as it happens. At the time I'm posting this the debate will start soon. Here is a link to where you can see it.
Bill Nye Debates Ken Ham

There have been some issues raised about Nye taking on this debate. Feel free to express your views on that point as well.

• 116 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

"Bible a unique book. It explains *insert crap-ton of origins here*"

Ken...the Qu'ran explains those and more. Why aren't you a Muslim?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

9/11 occurred in the pages of Marvel comics. That was true, so that must mean Spider Man and Captain America is real.

So if something in the Bible really happened then the whole thing must be true in the same way.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Now that it's over who do you think won the debate?

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

So if something in the Bible really happened then the whole thing must be true in the same way.

Just like Jesus cursing the fig tree! I guess they really have to accept that factoid too.
Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

It's pretty obvious who won. Ham didn't address any of the facts and prepositions Bill proposed, cited the Bible for evidence consistently without evidence for its authenticity other than "It was written by God".
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

A debate, or a false assumption that both ends were somehow equal in value and on the same shelf? As hard as Bill Nye fought, the entire audience was bought by Ken Ham, so as far as what happens in that auditorium, they all believe Ham won. But Nye likely knew that as well. So complemented with his knowledge of what to debate and how to dismiss fallacies, Bill Nye needed extra gravity to push down his ridiculously-huge balls.
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

I'm ashamed of all of you for not posting this yet
http://i.imgur.com/xvwHtsU.gif

Ken never had a chance (and not even because he was trying to promote creationism (I didn't actually watch it... (I didn't need to))

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Another question for you all. Do you feel you learned something from this debate. If so, what was it?

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Let's you meet someone on the street claiming they can sell you a bridge. It's the difference between just accepting this claim and this person presenting valid documentation showing that he can legally sell that bridge to you and being able to get further information that he can legally do this and isn't just scamming you from another independent source.

Hm, I don't think this is totally analogous. Obviously, if I want to legally own the bridge, I'm not just gonna give away money willy-nilly to someone who claims they can sell it. It's more like someone who has fake documentation vs. someone who has valid documentation--and it's difficult to tell which is legitimate.

We're all scientists, though, just like when you compile your first line of code you are a computer programmer. Scientists are "students of science."

Semantics. I meant someone who has the means and intention of making novel scientific discoveries.

If Evolution is on the same shelf as Gravitation, Plate Tectonics, Heliocentrism, Germ Theory, Gene Theory, and Sliding Filament Theory, being that they have all been elevated to the status of Theory, then we must infer that Evolution has a ton of evidence to support it.

Evolution was just an example. You can pretty much replace it with almost any scientific theory and ask the same questions, though evolution is clearly one of the more controversial theories.

Well you're not the only guy around here who's asking that question. Simply put, the scientists searching for these answers have far stronger credentials than what we common people have (they have Ph.D's in their field of science and are still put under scrutiny by other Ph.D's).

The presented facts supporting what is being found out by scientists.

I guess this rationale is about as good as it gets, though it still feels a bit empty. But this is more or less my thinking as well.
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

you could always look at mage's profile page if you need something to read while bored... or hungry for brain food

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I guess this rationale is about as good as it gets, though it still feels a bit empty. But this is more or less my thinking as well.

How is that empty?
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

because what are PhD's actually worth anyway? just why does a PhD mean they are superior to non PhD's? ...i'm assuming

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Having the evidence and facts to look at for a claim is the difference between,

I have dice.

and

I have dice.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/MageGrayWolf/IMG_20140110_101930_zps6e8082d0.jpg

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

This turned out to be a pretty...DICEY thread thread on science and creationism.. who woulda thought it'd end up like this?

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Having the evidence and facts to look at for a claim is the difference between,

I have dice.

and

I have dice.

How is that empty?

I implied this when referring to your analogy, but the question isn't simply a claim vs. a claim with evidence. Really, it's more like: Why believe take the word of scientists when you cannot replicate their experiments? Why accept the evidence, the data, when they could be made up? Don't you have to have faith that these scientists are producing the right information, much like creationists have faith in the word of the Bible?

But I sound like a broken record now. Here's a clip of the scene if you want a little context (it's hilarious).
Showing 61-75 of 116