ForumsWEPRKen Ham vs. Bill "The Science Guy" Nye

116 42387
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

This will be your chance to discuss the debate as it happens. At the time I'm posting this the debate will start soon. Here is a link to where you can see it.
Bill Nye Debates Ken Ham

There have been some issues raised about Nye taking on this debate. Feel free to express your views on that point as well.

• 116 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

BILLBILLBILLBILLBILLBILLBILLBILLBILLBILLBILLBILLBILLBILLBILLBILLBILLBILLBILLBILLBILLBILL

I'm in on this oh gosh I'm giddy

Ham off to a poor start already

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Ken Ham referenced a man who help sequence the human genome as an atheist scientist. Funny thing about that is the Human Genome project wouldn't have been completed without the practical application of the theory of evolution.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Ham went well with saying stuff like "beliefs don't dictate being a good scientist"

BILL STARTING WITH A STORY OH SNAP

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

Bill starts with an anecdotal tale. Nice.

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

Oh snap Bill starts with debating the logical flaws with the great Flood.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

And now we all get to listen to Ham talk for 30 minutes.

I'm calling it...Gish Gallop

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Bill Nye has all the facts on his side, but he is in an arena where facts don't matter. That could throw his game off. Ken Han is an experienced debater and has the home field advantage. Bill is walking into this with an automatic disadvantage.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

So far it seem Ken's tactic I to just wheel out a string of scientists in an attempt to legitimize creationism. I think it's important to note how many of these scientists are actually biologists.

Remember you wouldn't go to a foot doctor for a tooth ache.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

but he is in an arena where facts don't matter

Definitely. Han has that "arena" bought out and he distributed the tickets himself to those who would be supportive to his cause. So Bill Nye will pretty much have zero support, unless there are audience members incognito to throw Han off his biased game.

I know this specifically because Nemo talked to me about it Lol He might come on once he knows this thread was made.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Bill Nye pointing out CSI was a good start for the argument Ken is using about "historical science". Investigating crime scenes is about trying to reconstruct a past event. The process a forensics scientist would use is the same as what we would use to evaluate the past.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I like his cherry picking of the scientists...and the one who was like "there is nothing in astronomy that disagrees with recent creation" even though there is like EVERYTHING in astronomy that disagrees with it!

Love his "we didn't see it form, therefore creationism is viable" argument

And vaccines...answering that question for Bill Nye

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

unless there are audience members incognito to throw Han off his biased game.

I am aware that there are a few atheists here and there that lied to get their seating.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

I am aware that there are a few atheists here and there that lied to get their seating.

This is good. Debates must be fair and balanced, and that is definitely not what the auditorium contains right now.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Ah yes the famous "kind" which has no set definition

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

My question for Ham on the point that evolution can happen but they can't turn into other radically different species would be what stops the process?

If you can accept that that a species can change, and they can even become a different species, what is putting the breaks on that process keeping a species from continuing to change to the point where it couldn't visually be recognized as as ever being related?

Showing 1-15 of 116