ForumsWEPR2014 Winter Olympics

51 21454
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

Judging by the lack of threads present on this subject, I'd almost have to assume that nobody is watching any part of this event. However, I find that very hard to believe, as there are a few people out there who watch the Winter Olympics and I'm sure at least one or two of them frequent this community.

So, for those of you actually watching this event, what sports in particular are you watching? Do you have any favorite sports or athletes that happen to appear in these winter games? This is the place to confess that you actually watch the Winter Olympics.

• 51 Replies
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

I have never really been a Winter Olympics fan. I watch all the Summer Olympics but I rarely even watch one day for the Winter. The events are just not as interesting to me. I like curling, so that would easily be my favorite event. Off the top of my head the only person I can think of that I know in the Winter Olympics is Shaun White. I do try and follow the medal count though and see who is doing well.

CherryCoke360
CherryCoke360
407 posts
Nomad

I might watch shaun white, he's chill. I cant tell the difference between most of the others sports though.. haha

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I like in a burning, fiery, perpetually chokingly humid place of a country, so I have as much conception of winter as a blind man has of his reflection. So, are there any sports that would be good to watch?

MrAutomatic
MrAutomatic
296 posts
Nomad

So, are there any sports that would be good to watch?

The only ones I'm quite partial to are the bobsleigh events, but those won't take place for another week.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Oooo cool, I'll try that, thanks. ^^ Would the figure skating be a nice event to view?

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I am actually pumped about the games. Especially the luge and bobsledding events.

Rooting for my teams USA and Germany, of course. Oh and the people that get to represent themselves in the Olympics, because come on..how ****** is that?!

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Moving to WEPR because World Event

Rooting for my teams USA and Germany, of course. Oh and the people that get to represent themselves in the Olympics, because come on..how ****** is that?!

99% of support to USA, but I tuck in a little nugget of yays every time Sweden wins a medal.
pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke

It might depend on if your in a snow country. I imagine the Scandinavians would enjoy this and the alpines countries. I do like to watch some of it. Skiing, bobsleigh and skeleton is ones i normally watch.

I am also interested to watch when countries with no snow are in an event/ Like Jamaica and their bobsleigh team. There is 4 African countries be interested in them and a few other Caribbean countries.

Oh and the people that get to represent themselves in the Olympics, because come on..how ****** is that?!

You mean the ones that compete under the Olympic flag? The ones who are are of Indian origin. India was banned from this games, so this is the only way they could compete. Also if you tried to represent your country and failed, atleast you can compete.
danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

There is a Jamaica team you know...

I hope Israel will bring a medal. But up until now we didnt realy shined.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Judging by the lack of threads present on this subject, I'd almost have to assume that nobody is watching any part of this event. However, I find that very hard to believe, as there are a few people out there who watch the Winter Olympics and I'm sure at least one or two of them frequent this community.

So, for those of you actually watching this event, what sports in particular are you watching? Do you have any favorite sports or athletes that happen to appear in these winter games? This is the place to confess that you actually watch the Winter Olympics.

I've been watching the Olympics since 1976!

I like pretty much every sports except for snowboarding which I hate because the athletes have no class and look like bums, hippies and potheads. xD

My favorite is probably the downhill skiing, ski jump and hockey.
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

I'm not going to watch the Olympics, but I sure as hell am going to keep an eye on my news feeds. Each team has some intense extraction methods in case something goes down. I mean, I highly doubt anything is going to happen. That last time anything of the sort happened was during the Munich Olympics in '76.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

You mean the ones that compete under the Olympic flag? The ones who are are of Indian origin. India was banned from this games, so this is the only way they could compete. Also if you tried to represent your country and failed, atleast you can compete.

Hell yeah..and it also isn't just India, from what I looked up.

Speaking of which, anyone know why India was banned?
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Why India is banned

More or less, India is violating one of the Olympic rules about the association for a country not being primarily politicians. That being said! India still has athletes competing in the Olympics, just as independents.

gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

Would the figure skating be a nice event to view?

I would recommend it, but I know it's not for everybody. If you like figure skating, definitely watch it.
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

but I tuck in a little nugget of yays every time Sweden wins a medal.

I have a friend that cheers for Sweden and one that cheers for Norway. It is all in good fun though. They don't care that much.
Showing 1-15 of 51