ForumsThe TavernForum Activity

36 10507
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Due to a error in my last thread, I'm going to try again.

What do you think of the current state of activity? Do you see any ways to increase it? Or is this just beating a dead horse?

• 36 Replies
StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

a error

Look, gentlemen and ladies, upon the depth of this typo! See how simple it is to make this typo, and yet Sal, one of the pillars of forum activity makes it. EVERYTHING IS A LIE NOW. SAL IS TO BE SHUNNED.

That aside, the current state of activity makes me sad. I think we made FGA to try and fix it but it didn't work super well.
danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

Its terrible! *mumble*
Back in my day *spit to a spitting pot on the gronud* we.... we had.... we had 3 new threads a day! And they were all good AG thread as well! *mumble* Not these fancy 'New generation' threads! I say.... i say we need more built in threads! Like they did with the relationship one. Some 'ushs' so new members will feel more... err... easy to post. *spit again*

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Oh look! Another one of these threads. Hopefully this one will be more succesful and of course since this was made by Sal hopefully there won't be any lies.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Yeah, it is another one of these, isn't it? I don't like them either but activity hasn't improved in quite some time after the rush at the end of last year.

Pedro97
Pedro97
1,870 posts
Jester

In spite of my low number of posts, I am and older user. And the forums were usually burning with new people and topics. Most of them were worthless but still fun.

What happened? Why is it so quiet these days? Maybe because posting on the community doesn't make you earn AP anymore, don't know. I liked to read the discussions and post every now and then but now there's so few activity =(

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

What happened? Why is it so quiet these days? Maybe because posting on the community doesn't make you earn AP anymore, don't know. I liked to read the discussions and post every now and then but now there's so few activity =(

I think it depends on who you ask but most say it dipped towards the end of 2010. I think most people blame Cormyn for it, and some blame others for getting up moving on because they got older. Activity took a harsh drop at the beginning of '12 and stayed at rock bottom levels until Ferret was hired. Then activity shot up again (but still not at 2008-2010 rates), and it's been on a slow but steady decline since.

I was here when AP was removed and I'm not sure it was related.
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

I've said this a long time ago and I'm not going to say this again now but the forum/community button definitely needs to be bigger and more noticeable, which probably means it needs to be moved as well.

All else will probably depend how many users AG has regularly.

danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

Mother of god...

An eighter! All hail firetail!

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Pffft, it's not that impressive.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Maybe because posting on the community doesn't make you earn AP anymore, don't know.

This is plausible from a psychological perspective. The accounts I read certainly suggested the overjustification effect at work.

I've said this a long time ago and I'm not going to say this again now but the forum/community button definitely needs to be bigger and more noticeable, which probably means it needs to be moved as well.

I second this.
danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

Said the 3Ker

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

The community button issue was brought up in the Pickle thread as well as AGCAI. I'm not sure it's going to be considered this time around either.

Still considering the other issues.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

These new forum fridays could actually be proven good for the community activity. Perhaps we'll get more users.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

You want a busier community?

Promote a new version of AG, but this time don't let it die in the womb. Have a beta that actually leads to a full release. Don't drop 99% of what was promised for some nebulous reasons after over a year of hype.

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

I think this decline is inevitable. Flash games aren't the craze anymore, to be honest. MMOs and MMORPGs alike are dominating the computer scene, and extremely popular vidya games have crossed platforms. Flash games are sadly a novelty item, a thing of the past. Downloadable hits like Minecraft are going to be around for a while, and all the game developers have jumped in on this trend as well. It's more viable as a career/job.

The only thing to really raise up activity is to not only focus on advertising the flash games, but advertising the diverse community itself. People may not come here for the games, but they might come here for the fun that is within the hypothetical walls of the forums.

I don't think it's all that relevant to AP points. A lot of people were using the system to spam for points. If we lost people, we lost the spammers who were mad that they weren't getting rewarded for posting rather than posting for fun or because you're invested in the site.

It actually is quite relevant. Many active users have quit AG due to the disappearance of AP. Sure, there are less spammers, but with less spammers comes the terrible twin of less active users. I know quite a few users that have expressed their discontent to go to the site due to no AP, at least not regularly anymore.
Showing 1-15 of 36