ForumsThe TavernForum Activity

36 10522
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Due to a error in my last thread, I'm going to try again.

What do you think of the current state of activity? Do you see any ways to increase it? Or is this just beating a dead horse?

• 36 Replies
spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

While we live the forums will never die.

thats actually a pretty decent point. considering the participants at the moment are pretty active, AG should live long and prosper. and according to AG, this is my 1000th forum post. (which should be much higher).
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

I used to whine and pout lots about this until.....I realised, heck, I'll just go out and start discussion-worthy threads that'll actually help instead of being a frowning bystander.

This is pretty much all you can do. Is try to make threads and posts that spark conversation and debate. I mean that's the whole point of a forum, right?

The loss of AP didn't cause the forums to fall into some sort of disarray of inactivity, if that even makes sense. The forums were in rough shape for most of 2012, and the AP system was still in effect. The people who wanted points acquired them by rating and commenting on every game in existence, which in 2012 was enough to give you a Gold Prince badge, and by leaving annoying little comments on every profile they could find (not to mention the chat-spamming that went on), because those methods were far more effective than posting in a place that only gave out half the amount of AP as anywhere ese, and actually required some amount of thought if you didn't want your posts deleted, and, god forbid, your AP removed.

I remember when I was in an AP race with Mage, back when cormyn (sp) still existed. We simply played games constantly and rated them and left comments that were somewhat decent. We tried our best to not totally spam, but for the most part that was all it was. I think that Matrix and I also had some sort of merit race going on, but that just made us leave extremely in-depth comments on the games. That can't really be considered 'spam' but it was rather pointless because the main reason was for some silly goal of a number. I'm kind of iffy on the chat spamming thing, because a huge majority of my AP points came from comments. I didn't spam anyone, I just really liked having conversations with people. I didn't do it for the AP, though. Well maybe sometimes I did but it wasn't the first thing on my mind. I didn't introduce myself to someone just to get points.
Anyways. Ernie is right and AP had nothing to do with decline in forum activity. You only got 1 point per post, so that didn't really mean anything when it came down to it.

In my opinion, the decline of the forums started when most of the original people, or the "eighters", started to leave. People grew up and started leaving. The remains of the community just kinda threw pity parties over how crappy it became, or they attempted a revival.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Creating threads and posting is definitely a good thing, and I thank you for that; but I think activity should still be discussed in some manner. Besides, from a marketing pov, it affects everyone and is important; it's the ideal topic!

On a serious side of things, I think you guys are pretty self-aware as opposed to certain times in the past.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

but I think activity should still be discussed in some manner. Besides, from a marketing pov, it affects everyone and is important; it's the ideal topic!

I don't know; I mean this in all kindness, but a forum getting too introspective (commenting on/discussing itself) isn't usually a good sign. Nor very inviting to strangers.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I don't know; I mean this in all kindness, but a forum getting too introspective (commenting on/discussing itself) isn't usually a good sign. Nor very inviting to strangers.

Actually this is a good point. I think you're right. But it is curious to hear everyone's thought on the issue.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Uh, what issue is this now? I thought activity has been rather consistent as of late, much better then about two years ago.

Showing 31-36 of 36