ForumsPopular MediaDeeper than Intended

4 5303
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Many times when I'm reading or watching videos, I find myself thinking about how deep and metaphorical said work is, and many times while doing so I begin to question is this level of depth was intended or if I'm seeing something that isn't there.

What pushed me to make this thread was this video by Key and Peele. In it, there are two rappers performing two very distinct styles, poking fun at the crude nature of one. I began to think about how the video plays an introspective look at the rap genre, and how many members push it as an expressive art form usually used to portray the struggles of one's life and/or the struggles of the urban lifestyle. Despite these efforts to artistically portray these ideas, it is always overshadowed by shallow lyrics pushed by objectification

Then I stopped..and I began to ponder "is this depth REALLY intended within the video or am I creating something that isn't there?" - I mean, I know the comedians are intelligent, and am not saying they do not have the capabilities to come up with such an idea, but -did - the come up with that idea? (rhetorical questions, by the way)

What about you all? Any videos or written pieces that you sometimes find deep meanings that may not actually have meant to be there?

• 4 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Forgot this

A warning, video contains explicit material

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Grease springs to mind as an example.

At some point reseeing it for the umpteenth time, it struck me how far from being a celebration of that '50s rock 'n' roll & general youth culture, it's just one great satire on it, taking the P out of the whole thing. So much so that it must have been intentional, presumably with the original musical, too. (Although I find now the latter is actually said to have been far edgier.)

I don't know; I once had a friend who saw the media as just a concept, a method, without any regards for its content. His mere presence in a room with the TV on would start making you see it that way. I can't reproduce the effect today, but it was um interesting.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

I'm certain that you got exactly what that video meant. Key & Peele have some surprisingly deep skits. If you're curious whether you're putting too much meaning into something ask yourself if it's possible that the author actually meant that. If you find yourself reading something by a racist and thinking it's about equal rights, you should stop thinking so much. Or you could just ignore the author's intent and focus on what you think it meant.

For the most part I avoid thinking about the meaning in any form of media. I always hated spending hours listening to teachers put meaning into every little detail. Of course, every now and then it's impossible to not overthink something. Mostly on old episodes of Futurama.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

ask yourself if it's possible that the author actually meant tha

Which is always part of the process, but I naturally am very skeptical of if the author truly meant that or if we are just looking at something that isn't there.

Your second link I enjoyed, however, in regards to this all.
Showing 1-4 of 4