ForumsPopular MediaWhy Isn't Anything On Netflix?

17 8776
blk2860
blk2860
10,793 posts

Am I the only one noticing this? I've got Netflix, and often really want to watch nostalgic stuff, or otherwise recent stuff. I've checked for many things. Anything from Bill and Ted? Not there. The South Park regular TV show? Not there. Pretty much anything from Monty Python? Not there. Back to the Future series? Not there. The Star Wars Movies? Not there. The Simpsons? Not there.

I am stunned at this lack of content. They wonder why they don't get many subscribers for instant streaming? This is why. It's not just Netflix either. Apparently, out of Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, and Netflix Instant, Netflix has the most content. I honestly doubt that many of the people who pirate movies and television wouldn't be if Netflix actually had some of these things. It's almost as if Netflix has some sort of personal vendetta against quality media. Of course, Netflix does have many good television shows and movies, like Doctor Who, Family Guy, The Walking Dead, etc. etc. Still, the fact that the things they don't have are major titles the many people want to watch startles me. I cannot fathom what is going on in the minds of the supervisors of Netflix.

• 17 Replies
CherryCoke360
CherryCoke360
415 posts

They used to have south park but they took it off. now i think they just have one of the movies.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,171 posts

Yeah, it sucks.

They used to have MST3k episodes, but those disappeared a while ago.

~~~Darth Caedus

TerminatorXM214
TerminatorXM214
232 posts

They have Problem Solverz, Sharknado, and Spaceballs.

I'm good with that.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,171 posts

I have spaceballs on dvd, no idea what problem is, and i've already seen sharknado enough times.

~~~Darth Caedus

kingjac11
kingjac11
2,608 posts

If you want to watch something good on Netflix watch Archer...before that gets removed.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
10,143 posts

The South Park regular TV show?

You do know that the creators put all the episodes online for free, right?
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,472 posts

It isn't as though Netflix specifically wants some of these movies and shows and not others. They just can't always license everything while keeping the beloved monthly fee of $7.99. This video and the article that goes with it should provide a brief explanation as to why not every popular movie and TV show in the world is available for instant streaming.

Crickster
Crickster
1,824 posts

I can't watch MLP on netflix unless i connect to america networks in order to watch them, and EQG is on british netflix meaning my sister saw the movie before the show. (and there's a lot of **** on both versions but british netflix is lacking too much)

blk2860
blk2860
10,793 posts

It isn't as though Netflix specifically wants some of these movies and shows and not others. They just can't always license everything while keeping the beloved monthly fee of $7.99. This video and the article that goes with it should provide a brief explanation as to why not every popular movie and TV show in the world is available for instant streaming.

The video still doesn't explain why Netflix doesn't have The Simpsons, South Park, Star Wars, or Back To The Future.
Ishtaron
Ishtaron
367 posts

Netflix shuffles their content a lot. For a while MST3K was on there. Then it wasn't. Then it was again. I've had series disappear while I'm halfway through watching them because I stopped to sleep for one night. Why they don't have an on site list of what they're dropping and what they're bringing to streaming is the real question. That would make it a lot easier to choose which shows to watch before they vanish.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,472 posts

The video still doesn't explain why Netflix doesn't have The Simpsons, South Park, Star Wars, or Back To The Future.

Direct quote from the video:

"We can't license everything and also maintain our low prices, so we look for the titles with the biggest viewership relative to the licensing cost."

I would imagine licensing major titles such as Star Wars and Back to the Future would be a bit on the pricy side. I'm sure there is a more detailed answer as to why Netflix does not own Star Wars, possibly having to do with Lucasfilm having been bought by Disney, but the price aspect would be the short answer.
eliakith
eliakith
2,493 posts

This is the equivilent of asking why isn't minecraft on AG? The answer is simple. Cost/benefit analysis. Putting minecraft here would mean we need to generate a TON more ad revenue for the 1 game and still keep it free. Putting some random things on netflix would mean that a few more people would be attracted, but the cost wouldn't match the benefit.

CherryCoke360
CherryCoke360
415 posts

You do know that the creators put all the episodes online for free, right?

If this is true, you will not see me for about three weeks.. xp
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
10,143 posts

If this is true, you will not see me for about three weeks.. xp

See you in about 3 weeks
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,165 posts

The issue is not necessarily a lack of content, it's the licensing. Netflix has to get licenses in order to stream movies and tv shows. Plus, Netflix has a ton of awesome content. Dexter, breaking bad, Dr who, to name a few. Just open your eyes and look.

Showing 1-15 of 17