ForumsWEPRUkraine Asks for US and Britain's Help in Crimea

52 27579
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Short snippet here:

I read that^ and there's likely a more-detailed version out there, but for the gist of it, Ukraine feels that the Russian force's actions in the Crimean region is a full-on invasion and the government is asking for the two countries' help. Help as in military action. If either of these two countries agree and decides to send their military to deal with Russia, this could end up being very, very ugly in the future. Let's get some more History/Foreign Policy-savvy people in here for discussion.

• 52 Replies
minecraftsniper
minecraftsniper
697 posts
Herald

I would love they help each other but , if they help the other two countries will be in problems with Russia too , so i hope this solves peacefully.

Kennethhartanto
Kennethhartanto
241 posts
Constable

bad idea dude, if they send their troops to war. that could initiate a chain reaction which would cause a massive war as like WW2. except you want the WW3 theory becoming a reality, i don't think sending troops to there would make the problem resolved, plus it's not like the UN is going to stay quiet if US act alone and this time jeapordising world peace, if US did act alone on Somalia and Iraq, this time it's against a country with veto rights in the security council of UN. if they are smart, the Russian would use their veto rights to just stop the reinforcement troops streaming from US and UK.

minecraftsniper
minecraftsniper
697 posts
Herald

True this "metting" if i can call it that way , will end bad , i hope it dont ,but how the things are now i dont know if this will be peacefully , also US and UK will end t war with them :/

loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

Their will probably be no help from the western world in a military perspective. Considering this would scale horribly. On the other hand Russia does not want war either. I'd be very surprised if Russia attacks western Ukraine.

The outcome of this issue will probably be the annexation of Crimea and a division between west and east Ukraine.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Let's get some more History/Foreign Policy-savvy people in here for discussion.

I don't see how we can say anything on events there or their outcome at present that wouldn't be so much more idle talk.

Who knows, really. A dangerous situation, yes sure.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

^ ps In case it needs adding: I didn't mean that in a sense of it shouldn't be open for discussion. But I honestly wouldn't know what to sensibly say on it.

On the other hand Russia does not want war either. I'd be very surprised if Russia attacks western Ukraine.

This, incidentally, I'm not so sure of. Putin and his gang and predecessors have been flexing their muscles rather nicely for quite some time, now. And by-and-large gotten away with it.

They did so in Georgia; they do it in Chechnya, and other such unruly Caucasus regions and elsewhere. And they must be well-aware of all they can get away with. How far they'll be willing to push those stakes would IMO be anyone's guess, indeed.
pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke

Most people in the UK and US are tired of wars and are unlikely to start a war for something not really threatening them. I do say though most matters should be handled politically. Show other countries if the countries that have power can sort out things with politics then it will promote peace.

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

I do not think that the US will get involved. I don't know about UK, but I doubt that they would either. No one really wants to get involved with what could further escalate, but I don't have all of the details.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Most people in the UK and US are tired of wars and are unlikely to start a war

Yes, perhaps; but then the thing is it's not usually the people who start them...

Show other countries if the countries that have power can sort out things with politics then it will promote peace.

Indeed; as when the US now reprimands Russia that invading countries is so 19th-century (!)

Sure, bubba, do put your money where your mouth is, and all that. Seriously though, it had been warned all along that (e.g.) going to war forsaking UN sanctioning would mean the implosion of all we hold up to be the rule of international law and so on. Fragile as that may itself be (and all in all just a minute somewhat-civilized blip in history, hasn't it been), one does wonder if it isn't being proven so as we speak, more and more. What moral grounds do any of us have left to stand on, indeed.
Medabotz
Medabotz
11 posts
Nomad

I don't think the U.S will immediately assist Ukraine unless Russia posed a real threat to the U.S. which I think Russia is also aware of and maybe they are taking advantage of this scenario. Russia and some other country that has a grudge or is wary of the U.S. might be behind these chain of events these past few months.

Kennethhartanto
Kennethhartanto
241 posts
Constable

if they take action and attack then annex Crimea. i think the UN isn't going to throw in the towel and let the thing go. they WILL take action, and it's going to turn ugly. I'm pretty sure UN has learned a lesson from their predecessor during the opening periods of WW2 when Japan annex Manchuria.

Moonfrost
Moonfrost
1 posts
Nomad

As Ukrainian I'm glad that people all around the globe doesn't ignore our problem.

It wasn't mentioned here, but Ukraine asked for help from US and GB not without a reason. There's an act signed in 1994 when Ukraine gave up it's nuclear weapon. Instead US, Britain and Russia assured security of UA. Here's wiki on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budapest_Memorandum_on_Security_Assurances

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

in this case they actually ask for the help. here is a chance for the usa to go try to protect/help people that asked for their help... (unlike normal )

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

It's almost assured that NATO would take action if Russia tries to forcibly annex Crimea and the Ukraine military fights back.

Not necessarily; Ukraine isn't a NATO member, and so NATO's mandate or obligations don't extend to it.
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

I may not be able to contribute to this topic, but I find that keeping updated on the situation doesn't hurt. I don't know what kinds of news you guys trust, but I prefer BBC.

(actually if you could tell me what news stations and such that you like, that would be beneficial to me. It would expand my horizons for my Global Issues class. So please, drop a comment on my profile or something)

Current
Updated Reports
Also this can be seen as a key factor in the UK or other European countries coming into the arena.

I really do think that we should all be a little bit more concerned with this matter, because revolutions tend to spark bonfires.

Showing 1-15 of 52