Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Sleep!

Posted Mar 5, '14 at 12:58pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,712 posts

Knight

I want to sleep, but my body somehow refuses to feel tired, so I created this thread! I never learn (And I doubt most do); you crave sleep, but at night you just stay up late, and wake up full of the bitterness of regret. And then, proceed to repeat the cycle. I haven't slept before midnight for more than two days in a row since I was ten.

Discuss all your weirdest sleep-related experiences here!

Posted Mar 5, '14 at 1:20pm

Ferret

Ferret

9,058 posts

Administrator

Since I was young, I used to play video games until 4-5 AM in the morning. This trained my brain not to produce melatonin, and thus it can be very hard for me to sleep. Here are some suggestions...

- Block out all light from your room, you shouldn't be able to see anything easily.
- Try taking a shower/bath right before bed, very relaxing.
- Avoid video games/TV before bed.
- Only use the bed for sleep. This one is very important, as doing this trains your body that "Bed = Sleep".
- Start with 1/4 a pill of Melatonin, don't overdo it. It's mostly to just start triggering your sleepiness.

Other helpful sleep items:

- Beddit will track your quality of sleep, helps with some scientific method about what works and what doesn't for you.
- Don't wake up to an alarm, it's not natural. Use something like this.

Posted Mar 5, '14 at 1:51pm

SSTG

SSTG

12,567 posts

Knight

I haven't slept for more than 6 hours for years.
When I do (once in a million years) I feel so good that I could run a marathon.

Posted Mar 5, '14 at 1:53pm

SSTG

SSTG

12,567 posts

Knight

Ah, the page jumped and I couldn't finish my comment.
I meant I can sleep 8 hours once in a million years and I feel so good then.

Posted Mar 5, '14 at 3:05pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,475 posts

Last night I tried essentially hypnotizing myself into thinking it was later than it was so I would be more tired. At 1:30am, I visualized the clock saying 3:30am, kept mentally repeating how late it was, kept thinking that my alarm was set for 8:30 (which it was), and that I'd need to get up in 5hrs. I woke up at 6:30 without an alarm.

Posted Mar 5, '14 at 4:06pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

9,662 posts

What worked for me isn't recommended for some people, because the latter parts of the practice can be dreadful. To reset my sleep schedule, I stayed up the entire day and night and ate a big meal before going to bed at [insert wanted sleep time here]. The method I used is an evolutionary practice. Becoming exhausted then eating a big meal before sleeping tells your pons (lower area of the brain) that this is your new sleep time, thus it would reschedule when it should produce that melatonin. When I did this (and I had to do it a couple of times for my history), I went to bed at 7 PM and woke up at 5 AM completely refreshed.

Posted Mar 5, '14 at 4:29pm

FishPreferred

FishPreferred

2,166 posts

Simple Strategy: Try reading the first two pages of Poe's Mesmeric Revelations. Don't bookmark it, just start over from the top.

Posted Mar 5, '14 at 5:53pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

10,108 posts

I try to avoid sleep if I can. I detest it and the thought of it.

A good week, I get about 3-5 hours a sleep a night. A bad week I get more =/

Posted Mar 5, '14 at 6:14pm

gh0sts

gh0sts

888 posts

- Avoid video games/TV before bed.

Some people actually have an easier time falling asleep in front of the TV than they do in their own bed. Someone else is going to have to explain why this is, but I've always found it to be an interesting phenomenon.

Posted Mar 5, '14 at 6:18pm

Spartan

Spartan

2,929 posts

Your Melatonin must be generally low. Natural levels of melatonin run highest through the night in the blood stream. Hormone supplements would fix this if thats the case.

Reply to Sleep!

You must be logged in to post a reply!