ForumsNews and FeedbackNew Rating System

57 21588
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

I noticed a new rating system in ShellShock Live 2. Here's a screenshot:

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee400/Patrick2011b/Images%20for%20Armor%20Games/NewRatingSystem_zpsc2a243d1.png

It looks like the x/10 rating system no longer applies, but there is only a up or down vote with a big number in the middle currently corresponding to the average rating in the previous system.

• 57 Replies
CherryCoke360
CherryCoke360
407 posts
Nomad

I have never rated a game a 1 or a 10 but honestly i dont care about how games are rated since my vote is only one of millions.. xp

Xell
Xell
4 posts
Jester

I feel like the new system won't let me vote for games I'd find mediocre, I will only rate games I really like or really dislike.
These would be games I gave about 8 or more points and games I rated 3 or less in the old system, the latter happened less than five times out of my nearly 2000 votes, I think.
It looks like I will rate 1 out of 10, maybe 20 games in the future.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Yes, as @boppins said - while the majority of this forum may care enough to vote on the old system correctly, years of statistics prove that's just not the case for most other players. It's important that all games get voted fairly, that is the point of a rating system.

gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

Did people actually rate the game 1 or did they go to 0.5?

Kreitmaker
Kreitmaker
290 posts
Jester

To be honest, I would rather have liked to see the cumulative number of Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down for a game instead of this "average" number.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Did you guys remember to not include any of the ratings before the removal of AP? If not, the ratings are much more skewed than they should be because people would spend a few hours to a day spam rating all of the games to get a few thousand AP in one sitting.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Did you guys remember to not include any of the ratings before the removal of AP? If not, the ratings are much more skewed than they should be because people would spend a few hours to a day spam rating all of the games to get a few thousand AP in one sitting.

Is it even possible to filter out the ratings? Or could they just remove the ratings from the farmers who were banned?
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Is it even possible to filter out the ratings? Or could they just remove the ratings from the farmers who were banned?

I'm pretty sure ratings could be deleted in the old system.
boppins
boppins
774 posts
Bard

Did people actually rate the game 1 or did they go to 0.5?

Technically, they rated 0.5, yes

Did you guys remember to not include any of the ratings before the removal of AP?

All old ratings are still in the system. If we remove ratings from AP days, most of our old games would have no ratings..

Could potentially remove ratings from banned accounts with high AP (under the assumption they were farmers).. but that would only be a few ratings per game and probably wouldn't make a difference.
firaty
firaty
2 posts
Scribe

IMO it is a step backwards ... I can like some elements of a game but not all of it thus giving it 7 or see a potential in game that is badly executed and give it 4 ( and write in comments what I think ) . only a thumbs up or thumbs down ??? way too narrow in your way to express yourself

MrKOHCEPBAHT
MrKOHCEPBAHT
2 posts
Jester

So, heres the problem: some users rate many games by 1.
What can you do with that?

-You can add button "ignore 0.5 and 10 and calculate good representative rating for me".
-You can make some weight of rating for users, so people who rate everything with 0.5 woudnt count at all. But if your average rate are around 4-6 and dispersion are 2-3 your rate will count. Analyze users and give their voices some weight. Something like rating on IMDB: only good users make their top250.
-You can add autoban (for rating only) for those who mark everything with 0.5.
See? I think for 5 min and give you 3 good answers for your problem. Well, at least, better than your.

But what did you do? You decided to crash awesome system and replace it with something primitive. That was BEST system among all flash-portals. Even with that problem it was still better than new system.

What a degradation. I'm so sad.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

-You can add button "ignore 0.5 and 10 and calculate good representative rating for me".

And what if I truly find a game to be worthy or .5 score? Now my vote doesn't count

You can make some weight of rating for users, so people who rate everything with 0.5 woudnt count at all.

I'm no coder, but that seems like it would be a very intricate idea.
Also, would this weight system only be negative to people that spam .5?

-You can add autoban (for rating only) for those who mark everything with 0.5.

This seems reasonable, or at least a warning first about their actions.
PolsVoice
PolsVoice
1 posts
Templar

This whole thumbs up/down thing that has taken over the internet is really depressing. All opinions must be for or against with no middle ground. There are almost no games I'd give a 10 or a 0.5 to.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Actually.....will the new rating system vastly skew data again? People who used to give the game a modest passing grade such as 6 or 7, even if they found problems with the game will likely just give it a thumbs down no? So won't this just distort data if thumbs down = 0.5 and thumbs up = 10?

PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

It's not that the new system is bad but it doesn't accurately convey how a user can feel about a game. The old system had problems too, I understand. [And I've noticed how people have abused it. Rating a game absolute 1. But people can abuse this one too.]

The issue I don't like about this system is there is no middle ground. It's either, you like it or you hate it. A lot of games have a great aspect to it that merits a good score but at the same time there may be a mechanic, or some other problem, that renders the game unplayable, or worthy of a lower score. So the user can say, "what a great concept, love the art and the sound, but the game just doesn't work well. Because it's not a terrible game, I'm not going to harshly rate it."

AG may do whatever it wants and the new system for rating doesn't allow for middle ground metric.
If I'm playing a game a really enjoy but find a fault that doesn't make it a perfect gaming experience, I'm just going to give it a thumbs down.

This is just my opinion and the admins really have shown a good case for the new thumbs up and thumbs down. I just don't fully agree with it. I guess because I taking rating a game more seriously than most people? Even in really bad games I see potential and give it a lower score but never a 1. And then I comment explaining what could have been better or what I've seen work. Etc.

Showing 16-30 of 57