ForumsNews and FeedbackFew forum little improvements suggestions

17 34234
sinhellsing
sinhellsing
352 posts
Peasant

Hey, once more and again, Armorgamers brothers!

Here are some things that just came through my mind that could be added while surfing some other community.
Note: Their purpose is not to improve the performance/utility of the forum, just little miscellaneous things that make something a little nicer.

- A mood status. Something that a user could select to appear under his name. Like "Feeling Lucky!" or "Feeling Happy!" or "Excited". You got the idea.
- Emoticons! Really, who doesn't like them? *prepares for a wave of "I don't!" comments*. Not too many, but the basic ones like :3 :| could, I think, be created, for the visual aesthetic of the forum
- The post Appreciation button as I suggested not so long ago.
- A Table bbcode? I really do not know whether we can build a table by HTML or not, but I really doubt html isn't filtered in the comments. A table would be really nice to have.

And that's all for now. I also wanted to suggest the "Edit" button for posts but it's been kicked away so, yeah, I guess it won't get added any soon.

I also have some ideas for over-all site improvements and features to be added but I have to think over them as some of them are just personal wishes that I'd love to see added to a website.

Cheers!

• 17 Replies
sinhellsing
sinhellsing
352 posts
Peasant

Please take notice of how misspelled is the topic title!

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

- A mood status. Something that a user could select to appear under his name. Like "Feeling Lucky!" or "Feeling Happy!" or "Excited". You got the idea.

A little too social media-esque, don'tcha think?

Emoticons! Really, who doesn't like them?

Have you been to forums that use them? They always end up looking clunky and forced. I've seen 1 forum able to pull it off.

And, it might just be me, but emotes on a forum seem juvenile.

- A Table bbcode? I really do not know whether we can build a table by HTML or not, but I really doubt html isn't filtered in the comments. A table would be really nice to have.

explain psls
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

*pls

sinhellsing
sinhellsing
352 posts
Peasant

explain psls

In a lot of forums there's the [ table ] BBcode where you can build tables out of BBcodes instead of html.
.. just like this one! http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_tables.asp

And about the emoticons - that's why I suggested just the basic ones; I know that if there are too many they start to become annoying and childish - but then again, that's my personal preference.

And probably the mood would be media-esque, but the area is so empty and, yeah, something could be added there. But THEN AGAIN, the simplest is always the best.
sinhellsing
sinhellsing
352 posts
Peasant

... what happened to the link?!
http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_tables.asp

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer
sinhellsing
sinhellsing
352 posts
Peasant

Yeah, it indeed works, I just did not link it using the BBCode. I hate when that happens.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

A Table bbcode? I really do not know whether we can build a table by HTML or not, but I really doubt html isn't filtered in the comments. A table would be really nice to have.

How does it work exactly? 'Cause in the link I'm seeing, First name, Last name, and posts. Is it suppose to look organized?
sinhellsing
sinhellsing
352 posts
Peasant

That's just an example. You can create the table by writing bbcodes, and, yes, instead of making something like this

Name | Age
X | Y
You'd have it organised.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Do we need the ability to make tables?

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

- A mood status.

I will support this only if the options include indifferent, stoic, or disdainful.

- Emoticons!

Not without the option of disabling them once and never seeing any trace of them again.

- The post Appreciation button as I suggested not so long ago.

I have no objection to this, but I don't see it being very helpful.

- A Table bbcode?

I can find no conceivable use for such a thing in a forum.
sinhellsing
sinhellsing
352 posts
Peasant

Not without the option of disabling them once and never seeing any trace of them again.

That's the most positive negative opinion I've seen in a while!

I have no objection to this, but I don't see it being very helpful.
Well, yeah, but instead of replying and just writing something to thank whoever helped you or posted something interesting unless you got something to say from your side, it's good to show a little token of appreciation.

I can find no conceivable use for such a thing in a forum.

There could be many uses for it but in the same time none; It would be nice for the aesthetic of a post where you have to do comparisons or just categorize some things.
gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

the basic ones like :3 :| could, I think, be created, for the visual aesthetic of the forum

If you consider disorderly, childish and unprofessional-looking to be a visual aesthetic, then you're right.

As you've demonstrated in that quote, you already can make basic emoticons with plain text. Notice how few of those you see in these forums. It doesn't look like AG is an emoticon-loving community.
sinhellsing
sinhellsing
352 posts
Peasant

As you've demonstrated in that quote, you already can make basic emoticons with plain text. Notice how few of those you see in these forums. It doesn't look like AG is an emoticon-loving community.

That's probably the best counter-argument I've ever received. Well I guess it's up to the personal opinion of everybody. Probably it would turn childish and unprofessional, probably not.
minecraftsniper
minecraftsniper
697 posts
Herald

Also the faces can be made by pressing the buttons we want no need here to be emoticons or this will turn into facbook or something else

Showing 1-15 of 17