Game of the week or month?

Posted Mar 11, '14 at 5:15pm

player_m

player_m

93 posts

Only need 3 category types:
Most played in a week(month)
Most rated in a week( month)
Most (comented, faved....) in a week ( month)

Posted Mar 11, '14 at 9:04pm

Ernie15

Ernie15

13,423 posts

Knight

There have been Game of the Year awards in the past that have allowed users to vote from a series of nominated games. Weekly would be a bit too often, but I could see something along these lines working just fine if a few games were nominated every month for "Game of the Month". As for the categories you've suggested, there's a pretty long and uninteresting wall of text below as to why I don't see it happening.

Most played in a week(month)

This would better as a feature specifically for relatively new games, or else games such as The Last Stand - Dead Zone and Dawn of the Dragons and other games on the Popular Games list, as well as certain other quest games, would top the charts fairly often. Certain games such as Epic Boss Fighter could come in and snag the title every now and then, but it would be better to leave the older games out of the running altogether, or else it would just look like the newer games weren't receiving enough attention.

The other categories correlate for the most part with most played. The problem is, these categories don't take replay value into consideration (only one rating and one fave per user), nor do they require any input from non-members whatsoever, so whichever one won would have won more out of luck than out of actual game quality (not to mention that "most commented" would not necessarily be a positive award, since it could mean everyone is reporting bugs). Highest rating in a week/month would reflect more on the quality of the game, but even then, there's still the issue of timing.

I'm sure there are ways to circumvent the timing issue, but it would certainly be something of an obstacle in creating a weekly contest. If it were a weekly contest, and each round of the contest started on a Monday, a game released on a Monday would have a significant advantage over one that was released on the Thursday of that same week. If it was released on a Sunday, it would get most of its plays during the following week, but if it was submitted on a Thursday, and it got the exact same amount of plays from the Thursday it was submitted to the next Thursday as the Monday game did from that Monday to the next Monday, the Thursday game's plays in a 7-day period would be split in half while the Monday game's plays would all factor in perfectly, and the ratings would be skewed simply because of when each game was released. Once again, it would be based a lot on chance rather than actual game quality.

This could easily be circumvented if it were designed like the daily and weekly Hero Boards and was based on the past day/week on any given day rather than a set start and end date, but it would have to update itself very frequently, and from there, the winning game wouldn't necessarily change enough for people to actually pay attention.

A monthly contest would work better for a scenario like this, as it would give games enough time to catch up to one another, and it would measure more than just the initial boom of activity a game receives in the beginning. The advantages would be far less severe than in the special cases mentioned previously.

But I'm still leaning towards the idea I had at the top of this post. You may have to hire a Sherpa to get back up there, though.

Posted Mar 14, '14 at 6:30pm

player_m

player_m

93 posts

this idea is 50|50

Reply to Game of the week or month?

You must be logged in to post a reply!