ForumsWEPR"What are you?"

38 18683
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

"What are you?"

This is another one of those things I chose not to jump into on fb. I'd like to ask the opinions of my fellow AG peoples on the matter? Is it so bad? Is the person that supposedly has this problem in the right or is she just down right whiney?

Here is my take on it.

There are definitely rude/hateful ways of going about asking the question, but it isn't inherently a rude thing to do. I've often been asked if I'm of German, Swedish, Norwegian, French, etc descent... actually, it's almost inevitable that a friend will eventually ask me that question if I'm friends with them for long enough. We are a very story oriented culture, and there is no problem with me being curious about yours or vice versa. I don't think the situation matters to me quite like she and some of the posters on that article thinks it matters to me. When you get to know someone you paint a mental picture of them, and not everything in a painting is of crucial importance. I'm just happy if people want to get to know me. Also, sometimes it isn't the actual conversation that matters its just the point of having one. Maybe someone has lost their words and can't think of anything other than that to say to what they think is a pretty girl. Or maybe they're just curious... Being that some people are just so unique in their particular flavor of looks I can't help but be curious myself as to what particular blend could've brought about something like them. IT'S SCIENCE!!!
http://i.imgur.com/xvwHtsU.gif

...specifically genetics

• 38 Replies
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Naturalist: "We're all apes, we're all African apes, and we diverged from there."

Geneticist: "Going from that, we selected for traits that would better ourselves in our new climates. Those that remained in Africa remained genuine to how they lived best."

Psychologist: "We have to look within the mind to know who someone really is."

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Before I get started, are you guys sure this isn't a sociological issue?

Psychologist: "We have to look within the mind to know who someone really is."

Except for neuroscientists and behaviorists. They would be more focused on temperament and genetics within and determined by physical structures of the brain. You could argue that neuroscientists are more into biology than psychology, but ehhh.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I clicked on the article, and I saw the headline "Seafood That Would Absolutely Terrify You In The Ocean" and I almost died.

(It's just pictures of sea creatures we eat before we catch them; the title is more interesting than the content)

Is the person that supposedly has this problem in the right or is she just down right whiney?

A bit of both. I would say that the problem lies more within the way the question is phrased rather than the meaning behind the question. "What are you?" almost implies that the person isn't a person at all, but rather some type thing made up of other things. Regardless of the context, the question sounds very objectifying.

But if someone were to ask her "What is your ethnic background?" or something along those lines, it sounds a bit awkward, especially as an icebreaker, but it wouldn't be considered as rude a question, and it would be far less objectifying. If you didn't ask it right away and slowly eased into it, it could fuel a pretty interesting discussion.

She seems more hung up on the phrasing and frequency of the question rather than what people are actually interested in knowing about her. If I were her, I would just give smart-alecky responses, such as "A Person" or "Hungry" until they asked the question the right way.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Considering that she selected the Other box on an online dating site, relevant questions should be expected, similar to selecting an Other box for religion. But I agree that "What is your ethnic background?" is a much better phrasing.

"The problem with this question is, for a lot of us blended people, that it doesn't have a simple answer."
"I am (in alphabetical order) African-American, Italian, Mexican, Native American and Swedish."

How was that not a simple answer? It shouldn't be difficult to slap that on a profile so people don't ask.

"Now, I know a lot of my Asian friends get this question because people want to know "what kind of Asian" they are."

This might be partly due to stricter cultural "guidelines" on who to marry.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

"Now, I know a lot of my Asian friends get this question because people want to know "what kind of Asian" they are."

This might be partly due to stricter cultural "guidelines" on who to marry.

Or simply to avoid embarrassing mistakes in the future.

"So do you eat a lot of kimchi?"
"I come from a Vietnamese background, so I wouldn't say that I do."

"Why do you take your shoes off in the house, Aiko?"
"It's a common Japanese custom."
"And?"
"..."

"I'm dating this girl named Jennifer Niratpattanasai. I think she's Chinese."

Not to say that "Do you eat a lot of kimchi?" is in any way an acceptable icebreaker.
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

I don't like to be absolute with most things... I think when asked a question we should consider where the other person is coming from. They may or may not have a story similar to mine. I'd never talked to an indian person or much of any other person of any other ethnic flavor outside of Caucasian, black (my friends have maintained that "Maaaann, I aint neva been to no africa I'm black,&quotso I use that instead.), Mexican (the were all from there... so I don't wanna be too ambiguous with hispanic) a few people from the Philipines until college. So maybe I'll slip up sometimes even tho I know better and with my child like wonder I'll ask people where they're from or what their cultural/ethnic background is. I quite like getting to know about different cultures and how life is for people that live other places. It's also a bit of novel fun to meet people from all over and from all walks of life. I don't think getting excited over meeting someone who has lived in Venezuela their whole life diminishes them as a person at all.

Going to youth camps as a kid with people from all over North America (Canada included) had its fair share of similar things. People would run up to me and ask where I was from and whether I said soda, pop, coke, etc (I call them soft drinks for the general term and name the individual thing I want (coke, sprite, mt dew, etc just fyi)). There's a right way of going about it and a wrong way of going about it like I said. Maybe it really is a problem, but I think people put too much of an emphasis on being "objectified."

People ask me about my last name and assume I'm from a specific part of Alabama (I'm from Ms, btw) and associate me with every single person of that last name they've ever heard of. People with my last name are referred to as coast trash by some. When I'm asked about my name I have answered (smiling all the while) with "I'm not sure if it is french or german... I really don't know. But there seems to be a lot of us down on the gulf coast and some people refer to us as coast trash... probably b/c most of them are shrimpers and lower class people but whatever." You can choose how to approach all of your personal situations, but i feel that you're only a victim in this sort of scenario if you feel like one. I have fun with it. I know it'd get old.. explaining my last name gets old... but I don't know how bad saying "I'm a little bit of everything... like I literally have the genes from 6 different ethnicities." is.

On a completely different note... OMG IT IS FREAKING ONLINE DATING. I have several friends that talk about how all the do is get on there and mess with people. I'd be more worried about all of the other random questions/requests you get from guys on the internet than I would "What are you? What ethnicity are you?" It happens like crazy on other media places like fb.... I can only imagine what random guys you've never met would say to you when there aren't all that many consequences. Curiosity isn't inherently a bad thing and there's a difference in being rude and curious. Also, if you put an ambiguous answer to a descriptor, then people are going to ask you about why you chose other just because it's different. Putting something else down to avoid the questions is not abandoning/forsaking your other relatives.

ALSO, for anyone who knows anything about the people of the world it isn't all that uncommon for people to be PROUD of their heritage... so PROUD in fact that they'll get offended if you assume they're something else.
"hey, wanna go get pho later?"
-"the pho is that?"
"you don't know..? it's vietnamese food"
-I'M FREAKING JAPANESE! YOU JUST ASSUME THAT B/C I LOOK ASIAN TO YOU THAT WE ALL EAT THE SAME THINGS!?!? RACIST

The issue is a mine field and without knowing anything about the person it is inevitable that you step on a mine in this absurd mine field... whether you just ask them up front, you ask an innocent question, or they're apparently racist against the race you thought they were and they get livid when you didn't even know that the two groups of people had subgroups that disliked each other.

All things within context... my friend who is female and identifies as female but sometimes looks like a dude has had people walk up to her and say what are you? in a rude way... doing the same in regard to an ethnic scenario isn't any better, but it's not so bad to just be curious. I know that my weird last name is going to bring about more questions than someone with the last name of "Smith," and I don't see anything wrong with that. Maybe some of you see something wrong with the parallel with ethnicity, but I'm sure that at 20+ the person should know that they have a unique complexion that's going to catch more interest than your typical color palate.

Hyperanalyzing things doesn't do anything but get you agitated at people for doing minute things they've never even known they were doing or intended to do. Her explanation of the check box thing and the other stuff probably doesn't cross most people's minds.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I am in the Kingdom animilia, the Phylum chordata, the Class mammilia, the Order primate, the Family hominidae, the Genus homo, the Species homo sapien sapien. Otherwise known as human.

What we usually think of as race is largely arbitrary when looking at one genetically. It's often based on trivial appearances and social groupings. While we can create groupings based on genetic patterns among races, it is quite possible for a person of one race to be more genetically similar to a person from another race.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

its not as bad as it is. in fact when people are interested in what i am i get pretty excited lol.

it IS annoying though when the first thing someone tells you online is "asl" as if to check if your worthy enough to talk to them. even more when its what 90% of the chatters say.

i think she just got so annoyed by that that she kind of mixed it.

just like her, i doubt there are many people with my exact ethnicity (spelled wrong?) and i know nobody who who is except me and my brother.

jewish, german, persian, afghan, russian, yugoslavian(?), israeli...

but i think its kind of cool and interesting so i really dont think theres a reason to be mad about peoples curiousity.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I don't like to be absolute with most things... I think when asked a question we should consider where the other person is coming from.

Sort fo what I thought, too, after reading her article. Even if it annoys her after the hundredth time, which is understandable, I think there's absolutely no harm in asking that question in the course of a discussion. On the other side, a lady tipping a random stranger in the metro station to ask her "what are you", now this does seem rude.

Also I find the question itself pretty strange, but that's maybe just because English is not my first language. Shouldn't the question be "where are you from", rather than "what are you" (question to which you can respond pretty much anything and nothing)?
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

more or less... it's a lower class of vernacular. Proper English and layman vernacular are two different things. It's somewhat like text messaging abbreviations/shorthand...usually the laziest shortest way or the path of least resistance wins out over the proper way to do things.

This is where things get confusing for English as a second language folks... sometimes things get lost in translation between cultures

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Shouldn't the question be "where are you from"

That would be more like what you would ask if you wanted to know where that specific individual was born and raised, rather than what sort of heritage they have. Though "what are you" is a bit of a weird way to ask the question.
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

"What are you?" suggests that the person asking the question assumes the subject is somehow completely different to them.

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

maybe if taken in the literal sense with no outside context. ...It should be easier to understand when it actually happens in reality. "Wow, I've never seen your skin tone before... what are you again?" It's a not so great way of asking the question, but what they're getting at is almost painfully obvious. And considering that the online thing just begs for people's curiosity to ask the question it's almost certain that's what they'd be asking about even if they were being vague.

Why not just say a brief explanation in the bio to nip it in the bud? That'd solve half her problems

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

I pretty sure that I'm a human dude. That simple assertiveness of my humanity would probably horrify all the blowhard science professors around the world that want to be banana-eating monkeys that don't wipe.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

I pretty sure that I'm a human dude. That simple assertiveness of my humanity would probably horrify all the blowhard science professors around the world that want to be banana-eating monkeys that don't wipe.

Do you not know the difference between monkey and ape? Or are you suggesting that said science professors don't? Either way, it suggests a great deal of misunderstanding on your part.
Showing 1-15 of 38