ForumsNews and Feedback[Official] Disqus Comments

220 146221
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Greetings all!

We're going to be moving all our game comments, profile comments, MMO comments and editorial comments over to Disqus as early as this Friday. Because of this, I wanted to give you a FAQ to help solve any mysteries on the process...

What about Merits?

Merits will not live on our website in the same way, they can't be tied directly into the Disqus system which means they will no longer be comment-based. A simple Merit system will be created on our launch Friday that will grow more robust with time - allowing moderators/admins to merit people directly. Later e-mail notifications will be added to this as well.

You can also "Feature" a comment in Disqus, so that could also be awarded with your merit.

What about non-AG armatars?

A big concession we had to make with the Disqus system is that a Disqus account trumps our normal user accounts. This means users can name themselves whatever they like, and associate any armatar they like to their profile.

There will be alterations in our rules that discuss impersonation of other users, especially Moderators/Admins that will result in permanent bans. Also utilizing any exclusive armatars will result in a warning and possible further punishment.

Guest Accounts?

Guest accounts will be killed on site, and your real account warned. Guest accounts are not allowed on our Disqus comments.

Colored text for Knights/Admins/Moderators?

Not available right now in Disqus. You'll notice our accounts have "Moderator" next to our names. This text may change, but it means that person has moderator powers over Disqus comments.

What about total comment count?

This should be worked on before launch as well, nobody should lose their comment counts, just add on to their total.

What about old comments?

Still unknown the degree we'll be transferring over old comments. I'd love to hear your opinions though. This obviously is very tedious work, but I think me and @boppins agree that certain games (or comments) should make it over.

If you have any more questions let me know below.

• 220 Replies
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

It'd also be nice to see what comments of mine got up voted.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Personally I don't like the new format as much, but I only don't like it on profiles. On games I think it is a great system to have. You can now just respond to people's comments there instead of trying to use @Username and hoping they look back an happen to stumble across your comment. You could also just like someone's comment to show that you support their viewpoint instead of having to post I agree or something like that or vice versa for a dislike.
Now on user profiles, I don't believe any of that is beneficial. Usually profiles are just used for conversation so I will not usually like or dislike comments. Sure having a convo all on one 'thread' is OK, but I believe that the old way of just posting on the persons profile was also just as effective. It's not that the old system is better, but I don't see a benefit of the new system there. Also AG has less control over it seeing how it is a third party site.
So in review, I like the disqus commenting system on games because it seems to add something, however I don't feel as though anything is added by putting it on profiles while losing control.

I totally agree with you! I want the normal comment box back so I can reply to them without the entire AG users reading them.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Yeah definitely not a fan of being able to upvote things on a person's profile. Seems unecessary, at best.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

@SSTG
I mean, before anyone could see the message just by going to the persons profile. It might be a bit easier to see the comments now but I doubt most people will care and read a Convo. If they were that dedicated they would have read Convo already.

devansh_asthana
devansh_asthana
480 posts
Farmer

Any member of the disqus system can post on AG...

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

I have also noticed that disqus takes forever to load on mobile. It's really annoying waiting for your comments to show.

pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke

Is there a problem with the name box on posts on this page? looks a little at a diagonal .

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Is there a problem with the name box on posts on this page? looks a little at a diagonal .

That may just be your computer glitching.

Any member of the disqus system can post on AG...

Only if they are logged in with an AG account.
pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke

As for profile commenting is you reply to a post on your profile directly. This groups the conversations to make it more manageable. I think you also get a notification aswell. Either way works, might take some time to get used to.

pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke

That may just be your computer glitching.

Seems they are all like this now. It might be to give a slight style in the name boxes. What i am seeing is all at nearly straight but at a small angle off. Every poster under the last is more inclined left a little. The left hand side of box is all straight though and in line with each other.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

It's not showing up on profiles or games on IE 10 for Windows 7,

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o541/Mr12Relic/Messenger_zps10a1e973.png

but it seems fine on Chrome and Firefox. And I agree with daleks on page 5.

pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke

It seems to be normal now for me. Res issue i think.the gaps between the posters names made some illusion that the lines were diagonal.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I woke up up like I do almost every night so I decided to check AG because Dal said he shared his opinion on this and I thought he was talking about game comments so I decided to check my own comments after seeing this thread and then chaos and after-sleep confusion ran amok through my living room and I accidentally stubbed my toe on my coffee table in the insanity so now my toe hurts and I'm still trying to decide whether I like this or not amidst the pain and I went here to blindly type a poorly worded post and I ended up with this because I still need some sleep so goodnight.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

WE CAN EDIT OUR OWN COMMENTS YAHOOOOOOOOO

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

It should be noted the edit button is Disqus's..not AG.

We are just as close to an edit button as we were before

Showing 46-60 of 220