ForumsNews and Feedback[Official] Disqus Comments

220 146188
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Greetings all!

We're going to be moving all our game comments, profile comments, MMO comments and editorial comments over to Disqus as early as this Friday. Because of this, I wanted to give you a FAQ to help solve any mysteries on the process...

What about Merits?

Merits will not live on our website in the same way, they can't be tied directly into the Disqus system which means they will no longer be comment-based. A simple Merit system will be created on our launch Friday that will grow more robust with time - allowing moderators/admins to merit people directly. Later e-mail notifications will be added to this as well.

You can also "Feature" a comment in Disqus, so that could also be awarded with your merit.

What about non-AG armatars?

A big concession we had to make with the Disqus system is that a Disqus account trumps our normal user accounts. This means users can name themselves whatever they like, and associate any armatar they like to their profile.

There will be alterations in our rules that discuss impersonation of other users, especially Moderators/Admins that will result in permanent bans. Also utilizing any exclusive armatars will result in a warning and possible further punishment.

Guest Accounts?

Guest accounts will be killed on site, and your real account warned. Guest accounts are not allowed on our Disqus comments.

Colored text for Knights/Admins/Moderators?

Not available right now in Disqus. You'll notice our accounts have "Moderator" next to our names. This text may change, but it means that person has moderator powers over Disqus comments.

What about total comment count?

This should be worked on before launch as well, nobody should lose their comment counts, just add on to their total.

What about old comments?

Still unknown the degree we'll be transferring over old comments. I'd love to hear your opinions though. This obviously is very tedious work, but I think me and @boppins agree that certain games (or comments) should make it over.

If you have any more questions let me know below.

• 220 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

It's also probably worth mentioning that you can follow other users by clicking their name and locating the follow button. And yeah, you can track your own comments now. That's a feature we've been whining about for years.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

This just in: the follow button apparently reverts after you leave the page. :O

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

If you "Subscribe" at the bottom don't you get e-mail notifications?

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Hmmm, yeah the follow button is a strange beast.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Just so everybody understands, we'll be picking up the torch again on Friday to fix a lot of these smaller issues. We're not ignoring feedback, so keep going.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Yes, the subscribe button seems to make it work. I have no idea about the follow button though.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

[quote=Ferret]@Marll Flagging a comment sends it to the AG mods/admins.[/quote]

Thanks, Ferret, it's good to know what's what

[quote=Ferret]Admins can still easily track down who posted, however if you want them actually deleted I suggest you flagging them for spam. I kill all Guest comments on sight.[/quote]

I had noticed this behavior before with Disqus comments with MMO Games: You flag a comment, and poof all that poster's comments appear to be gone.

If it works like you now seem to describe, that would make it terribly easy to abuse to pester folks you happen to dislike or get rid of them altogether, or when otherwise just being in a goofy mood, no?

[quote=Salvidian]Pretty sure you can enable email notifications through your Disqus account.[/quote]

That is, of course, assuming you care to have yet another account, or to sign up with them specifically :/ Personally don't need it (but then I don't need no comment notifications, either!)

When this Disqus thing first got introduced here, I did get this uneasy feeling of having now suddenly been made a part of the Disqus universe, unasked-for -- but although that comments traffic will no doubt flow through their servers, I've reassured myself that is otherwise not the case, unless and until you do sign up with them. Right? Pretty please?

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

nb

that would make it terribly easy to abuse to pester folks you happen to dislike or get rid of them altogether, or when otherwise just being in a goofy mood, no?

In fact so much so that I'm not even sure it's a wise idea to have such observations out in the open here.

Delete at will upon reading.
Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

Um I tried to @____ and it went to gibberish like @armorgames82732p343:disqus

So idk what to do about that....

~~Black~~

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Seems to work fine for me. ._.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Test: @Salvidian

Seems to work fine for me. ._.

He's talking about on the comments, which I just tested the @thingamajig and it didn't seem to work.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Anyway, did anyone else notice that your swears won't be censored? :P

Omegap12
Omegap12
1,980 posts
Shepherd

I dont like it!
I know its supposed to be more efficient, but its good at confusing me!!
Can we go back to normal?

Showing 91-105 of 220