Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Are you "special?"

Posted Mar 16, '14 at 11:46pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

7,610 posts

Something that really aggravates me is the effort put into not offending people. Anyone can get five minutes of fame by doing something "racist" and "offensive." This thread is for people who have (or want to discuss) mental disorders and/or handicaps.

I have PCE (Partial Complex Epilepsy), and I have no problem joking about it or calling it a "mental disorder" instead of whatever cheesy non-offensive title the government uses for it now (someone on AG called themselves "neurodiverse" not long ago). I am not "special." I'm an epileptic taking 8 pills a day to avoid one of the most terrifying experiences in existence. In my case, "partial" means it exists in an abnormal (and very small) area of my brain. "Complex" means, basically, a whole board of neuroscientists and doctors reviewed a week-long brain scan and couldn't figure out what the causes were. As of now, I'm taking two kinds of medication and it's working. That's all they know.

And I'm fine with it. I can't "undo" epilepsy and I'm not going to curl up into a ball and cry about how unfair it all is. I am 21 and thanks to epilepsy I still don't have a driver's license, much less a car. My response is to play games that have an "epilepsy warning" at the beginning.

So what's your take? I loathe the term "special" because that word applies to so many other elements of life and it's being tainted by stamping it on mental disorders, and if I can call it a mental disorder (which can be a no-no these days), I believe anyone should be allowed to. Do you think people should be careful about how they refer to this, or should everyone be on even ground when it comes to discussing it? Or is there middle ground?

Posted Mar 16, '14 at 11:50pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

7,610 posts

Also, if anyone has any questions about epilepsy, feel free to ask. I would rather you get information on what epilepsy is like from me than from a news outlet.

Posted Mar 16, '14 at 11:53pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

7,610 posts

EDIT: Epilepsy is technically a neurological disorder, not a mental disorder. Sorry for the potential mix-up. Both are up for discussion.

Posted Mar 17, '14 at 12:15am

FishPreferred

FishPreferred

2,167 posts

I would say that the most literal terminology is best. Inconsiderate people will always use euphamisms as insults and intolerant people will always take offense to them, so they aren't actually useful. "Special" is no better. Worse, because it makes absolutely no sense.

Posted Mar 17, '14 at 12:49am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,475 posts

I'm not a fan of tiptoeing words, mostly due to the euphemism treadmill: each term being replaced with something "inoffensive" because the old inoffensive word now offends people. It's far better to tell it straight and explain it than to worry about labels. And I agree with Stephen Fry [contains language that may offend people].

Posted Mar 17, '14 at 5:48am

roydotor2000

roydotor2000

307 posts

If you have disorders, I have disorders. I have cerebral palsy, scoliosis, and a inborn deformity in my right foot. This is true and I am NOT joking. Fortunately, my intellect is not affected. I have an IQ of 130.

Posted Mar 17, '14 at 8:47am

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

Personally, I'd like to think I'm extraordinary

Posted Mar 17, '14 at 8:54am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,713 posts

Knight

I have irregular heartbeat that supposedly means I have to take physical activities lightly; I found out last year in the army, and I've already gone a decade doing competitive sports by then, so it's not so much a ''handicap'', as something just meh.

I'm fine with people trodding carefully around me at first, until they realise that there's nothing to be afraid or worried about. I'm fine with them being so, because it's just better to be cautious initially, rather than assume that the handicapped party wants to just be treated normally right off the bat. Basic courtesy.

Posted Mar 17, '14 at 9:14am

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

[quote=MacII]Personally, I'd like to think I'm extraordinary [/quote]

ps Do let me add I was just swiftly and flippantly reacting to the thread title. I didn't mean to make fun of people and their afflictions, or indeed what they may be called when; I thankfully suffer from no physical conditions whatsoever and never have, praise be to something.

Posted Mar 17, '14 at 12:04pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

7,610 posts

I'm not a fan of tiptoeing words, mostly due to the euphemism treadmill: each term being replaced with something "inoffensive" because the old inoffensive word now offends people. It's far better to tell it straight and explain it than to worry about labels.

Do you think this can apply to other more sensitive topics (race, gender, etc) or is it exclusive to mental conditions? What would you call a person who has a more visible mental condition, such as autism, cerebral palsy, Downs Syndrome, etc?

If you have disorders, I have disorders. I have cerebral palsy, scoliosis, and a inborn deformity in my right foot. This is true and I am NOT joking. Fortunately, my intellect is not affected. I have an IQ of 130.

That's another thing I wanted to discuss. It's much easier to identify people with autism and cerebral palsy than those with epilepsy due to appearance and control of their muscles. Do you experience more "unique" treatment? Like, are people too nice and/or too mean? I know that some people enjoy just making fun of people with mental disorders, and I know some people want to carry them from A to B so they don't get hurt. Have you experienced either, and what's your take on those people?

I have irregular heartbeat that supposedly means I have to take physical activities lightly; I found out last year in the army, and I've already gone a decade doing competitive sports by then, so it's not so much a ''handicap'', as something just meh.

Did that end your time in the service, or did the guys in charge shrug their shoulder and say "It hasn't slowed him down yet, so leave him alone?"

I didn't mean to make fun of people and their afflictions, or indeed what they may be called when; I thankfully suffer from no physical conditions whatsoever and never have, praise be to something.

A friend of mine once texted me when she was slightly intoxicated to call me "Super Epileptic Rave Man." At first I was very confused. She later texted to apologize, but honestly I thought the name was awesome. She writes a lot, so now I keep nagging her to add "SERM" to one of her stories. What superpowers would I have?? I suggested the ability to shoot Nyancat lasers out of my hand Ironman-style, although I'm not sure what that would accomplish.

Reply to Are you "special?"

You must be logged in to post a reply!