Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Are you "special?"

Posted Mar 28, '14 at 1:15am

Jacen96

Jacen96

3,175 posts

I don't care for the application of labels to people, as it naturally leads to bias (we're only human), so i'm just gonna say . . .

Everyone is special.

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Mar 31, '14 at 2:50am

roydotor2000

roydotor2000

301 posts

I don't care for the application of labels to people, as it naturally leads to bias (we're only human), so i'm just gonna say . . .

Everyone is special.

~~~Darth Caedus

By special, you mean unique.

Posted May 11, '14 at 3:32am

SportShark

SportShark

1,112 posts

I have Triskaidekaphobia and Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia. does that make me special?

Definitions:

Posted May 11, '14 at 7:35am

partydevil

partydevil

5,322 posts

I have Triskaidekaphobia and Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia. does that make me special?

no a phobia is a fear for something without a reason to be feared.
tbh i dont think you fear these numbers but that you say you have it, just because you dont like the numbers and are superstitioned about them (and other thing aswell probably) or to make it look like your "special" cause you think saying so will make you "special".
but of course there is a chance that you actually have these phobia's so lets go with that. =) even then it wouldn't make you special. there are many people that fear things without a reason for it. its just the brain that somehow has connected these things with the emotion and status of being scared. if there is a logical reason why that happened then it is not a phobia. like in the case of "Triskaidekaphobia" if you were eating mushrooms and you hallucinated that number 13 was running around stabbing people and then 13 came after you...
anyway.. it does happen that things get connected to being scared for no reason at all. it happens often enough that it makes you not special for happening to you.

however, your life as a whole is 1 that exists only once. that makes you and everyone else special on its own as a individual.. nobody will have the exact same life as you are having and going to have. people come and go, but you are always where you are. experiencing the things where you are. nobody else is always where you are. they are experiencing a other life... so, your special.

last edited May 11 2014 07:38 am by partydevil

Posted May 11, '14 at 1:33pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,746 posts

no a phobia is a fear for something without a reason to be feared.

Not quite. A phobia is an irrational fear. Arachnophobia is a very common phobia where people freak out when seeing a spider, and experience anxiety even when seeing just pictures of spiders.

Posted May 11, '14 at 2:56pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

3,175 posts

[quote]I don't care for the application of labels to people, as it naturally leads to bias (we're only human), so i'm just gonna say . . .

Everyone is special.

~~~Darth Caedus

By special, you mean unique.[/quote]

Everyone is special, applying labels will naturally lead to bias.

"900 years and I've never met a human who wasn't important" (paraphrased quote of the Doctor, cuz too lazy to search and can't remember exactly)

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted May 17, '14 at 4:24pm

ellock

ellock

393 posts

I hate it when people say they have something and they don't. Like "Oh I am so ADD" or something like that when in reality they are fine and just want attention. I loathe it... with a deep passion I loathe when people just throw the terms around.
Mainly because it is confusing when someone actually has one of the disorders and they say it, no one believes them or they don't take it seriously. I also hate it when people can't get over it. Now let me say it this way, I hate when people wallow in their own self pity and then expect people to feel bad for them.
I have Anxiety and a bit of Insomnia. And I understand that some days are worse than others for people. But I don't like it when people just sit there and give up and just beg for attention or special treatment when they clearly don't need it. If the do need it, then I am fine and I don't have anything against it. But I know there is no cure for anxiety or insomnia, it is genetic in my case as probably 5-8 people in my family have it (only going a few generations back, mind you). So I don't see the point in complaining about it, if you are struggling then tell someone, but don't make yourself a pity case just because you want people to feel bad for you. I will likely have anxiety for the rest of my life, I just have to be OK with that and move on with life.
I know my anxiety case is relatively minor considering that fact that I know some people who have pretty severe disorders/issues/ whatever the politically correct term is, I am just saying that if there is no cure and you are going to live with it forever, get used to it and move on because life isn't going to slow down just for you.

May sound harsh, but there you go. My thoughts on the whole mental disorder idea.

Posted May 20, '14 at 2:40am

roydotor2000

roydotor2000

301 posts

Everyone is special, applying labels will naturally lead to bias.

But some peeps are more special than others.

Posted May 20, '14 at 11:41pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

7,577 posts

But some peeps are more special than others.

By definition, no. Special refers to possession of unique characteristics. How many you have is irrelevant. Regardless, the word no longer means "unique characteristics" in society. It's been dumbed down to only mental or physical disorders in the interest of, I suspect, "political correctness."

So technically, yes, everyone is special, but I added quotation marks to avoid that technicality.

Reply to Are you "special?"

You must be logged in to post a reply!