ForumsWEPRNon-gun weapons control

114 50345
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

There are many forms of non-firearm lethal weapons: knives, blunt instruments, bows/crossbows, etc. Since all of these can be and are used to commit crimes such as murder and armed robbery, should they be made illegal? At what point/and or what should weapons such as tactical/killing knives should be made illegal? Are these specialized knives useful tools for self defense, or should they be made illegal by the government? Since these weapons are much easier to obtain than guns (many can be made fairly easily too), what steps would be needed to enforce more restrictive laws against these weapons.

Finally, I will state my position. I believe that like just with guns, these weapons in question are only as bad or as good as the person that is holding it. I own many different types of tactical knives for self defense: machetes, kerambits, hunting knives, butterfly knives, etc..
I have no desire to use them unless when necessary to save myself from death or severe personal injury from an attacker(s).

• 114 Replies
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

I would prefer to ban all weapons except longswords

Please define what tools you consider "weapons".
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

But we both know, as horrible as it is that there are police out there, not all police are like this.

I didn't say they all were, but this was in regards to a hypothetical in which non-gun weapons, including knives, were banned. Here's one where a partially deaf whittler was shot for legally holding a small blade. Do you really think cops wouldn't shoot to kill upon seeing someone armed with an illegal and dangerous tool, considering they already occasionally shoot when they're legal?
abt79
abt79
59 posts
Blacksmith

How would you propose the gubmint regulates blunt weapons?
Outlaw indoor plumbing, as pipes are considered weapons?
Put auto mechanics and construction workers in jail for working with "weapons"..all of these are really just tools that can be used as weapons, knives included.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

How would you propose the gubmint regulates blunt weapons?
Outlaw indoor plumbing, as pipes are considered weapons?
Put auto mechanics and construction workers in jail for working with "weapons"..all of these are really just tools that can be used as weapons, knives included.

We are talking about specialized and so-called tactical weapons here, not your average plumbing pipe. I could link you to various websites that specialize in selling these weapons, but it's against the rules.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

We are talking about specialized and so-called tactical weapons here, not your average plumbing pipe.

Why not? It's a non-gun tool that can be used as a weapon, and you mentioned blunt weapons in the OP.
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Longswords are not cheap or popular and few are actually sharp.

Exactly. They are massively impractical. I don't believe the general public should have useful weapons.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Ban pencils and pens; they can kill too.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

I know it's unlikely, but have you ever handled a balisong? I can honestly tell you that they aren't scary or nearly as dangerous as everyone makes them out to be.

No, but looking it up, I can see that it is a fairly simple design.

In fact, one handle is called the "safe handle." It is impossible to cut yourself if you are holding that handle, [...]

Oh, I'm sure someone would find a way.

Exactly. They are massively impractical. I don't believe the general public should have useful weapons.

But can they cut julienne fries?
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Ban pencils and pens; they can kill too

...and shoelaces, barstools, and hands because they can kill as well.
abt79
abt79
59 posts
Blacksmith

Yes. Outlaw hands.

#OutlawHands2014

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Yes. Outlaw hands.

#OutlawHands2014

..and water because it can kill you as well.
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

If someone tried to ban all of these, I'd ask them "Why are you treating us citizens like the people in prisons who try to kill themselves?"

It's the nature of our government to try to be our nanny...
...the big brother mentality.
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

...the big brother mentality.

Do you mean the guardian temperament, or Big Brother administration?
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

I am working from the perspective that people are stupid. We are; this is a good demonstration.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Matt, don't be so huffy. First of all philj used the term demonstration, not evidence. Might be a small difference but I think you're playing on that difference. Second, some countries actually have stricter regulations on weapons than America already.

Concerning the discussion about banning objects like pencils etc. I'm going to deliberately ignore the obvious sarcasm and state that that's exactly where the difference lies: many objects can be used to kill (can be used as a weapon), but what truly qualifies as a weapon is an object that is specifically designed to harm and kill. Not to write, or play baseball, with.
It's been a while since I retreated from the position of outright banning of weapons; however I still hold that regulating the use of objects that were made to harm/kill, simply makes sense. Unless you're planning something illicit with those knives.

Showing 16-30 of 114