1,622 posts
Blacksmith

thoughts on this?

• 5 Replies
ScaryLlama
ScaryLlama
22 posts
Nomad

Things just got a whole lot easier for Project Morpheus.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,769 posts
Chamberlain

I, for one, am pretty cheesed off at this, and it seems that Notch is too. I mean really, what on earth does a social media company need a VR headset company for? When Microsoft tries to make gaming more social everybody laughed at them!

~Manly

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Oh goody, adds in first person! Sounds exciting!
Yeah I don't like this. I don't think facebook belongs on the video game front.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Yeah I don't like this. I don't think facebook belongs on the video game front.

Yeah... After buying this and WhatsApp it's clear they're just trying to gain control over a large portion of the digital industry. However, I just can't see Facebook doing video games, at least WhatsApp was social media-esque.
fission12
fission12
63 posts
Jester

Hmm, interesting...

Honestly, I am beginning to start to fear for Facebook's growth prospects. The string of recent acquisitions by Facebook seem to be an attempt to gain exposure to other technology markets. While this sounds good on paper, I am a bit skeptical whether Facebook has the knowhow and the experience to succeed in other industries.

I would take time to fully explain my concerns, but I found a nice article that explains them better than I could.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-acquisitions-fail-2012-10

However, I do definitely have to applaud Facebook for using its very richly valued stock to acquire companies. The current stock price of Facebook prices in a fairly rosy future already, and while it may continue to go up in the meantime, only the future will tell if it is justified.

Note: I am not directly saying that Facebook's acquisitions are bad, but I would rather them focus on the core growth of their profit margins and organic growth, rather than using acquisitions as a means of growth.

-fiss

Showing 1-5 of 5