ForumsPopular MediaMovie sequels

27 16788
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

So at a movie theater I was about to watch the Lego Movie, but before I saw it one of the trailers caught my eye which is a movie called The Legends of Oz Dorthy's Return. As much as I really thought how bad of an idea this movie is and how lame it looks(then again they may be aiming towards a more younger audience). It spawned an idea about movie sequels.

So what do you think of movie sequels? Do you think they're better than the one(s) before it? Or do you think that the sequel was trash in comparison to the to the first few? Or maybe there is a movie sequel coming out(like that Wizard of Oz thing I just posted) that you just feel like posting and commenting about.

Averagely, at least from most of the movies I've seen, the first movies were always the best ones. For example the first Spiderman(not the Amazing Spiderman) in my opinion was better than the others. Starwars Episodes 4 to 6 were also way more better than 1 to 3. The first Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark was also a lot better than Indiana Jones Crystal Skull(Those are the only Indy films I've seen). Those movies and their sequels are the only ones to come to my mind right now.

So again, what are your people's opinions on movie sequels?

• 27 Replies
CherryCoke360
CherryCoke360
407 posts
Nomad

Alvin and the Chipmunks 4.

No!! why did they think it was a good idea to even make one!?
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 makes sense, it is based on a Marvel Comic series so they'll milk that as much as possible. How To Train Your Dragons 2 sounds like it's a bad joke someone posted on IMDb. There's already a canon series that comes in right after the first movie, the sequel is either going to require a massive time jump, demand watchers know the series, or ignore the series entirely.

Same thing with Star Wars, only more canon and more important.

~~~Darth Caedus
Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Are you referring to the Clone Wars series (which I don't think is canon) or milking the franchise for as much as possible? Because I believe all new Star Wars movies will take place after the original trilogy anyways and the only thing that would be ignored is definitively non-canon EU books.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Finding Dory

I have seen Finding Nemo way too many times, and only the first time I watched it was buy choice. Honestly I am sure it will be an OK or even good movie and I will probably see it but Finding Nemo was never a movie I fell in love with.
Incredibles 2

I don't see this one being as good as the first one. The first one is on such a high bar that it will be extremely hard to reach it. I hope that it is good though and doesn't ruin the series for me.
Cars 3

Never even saw Cars 2. I feel like they are just milking it now but I cannot really comment much because I don't know how good or bad Cars 2 was. For all I know it was good and Cars 3 will be good as well.
Sharknado 2

I don't think this will go over too well. I mean it only got big because of Twitter and stuff and because the first one was so weird. Never saw it myself but I think it will not be as big because it is pretty much the same thing. The Internet is a weird place though.
Fantastic Four reboot

I have never considered reboots to be sequels because they really aren't. There is a whole new cast and everything. So it could be good or bad, just like any movie starting up.
Jurassic World

Never seen the Jurassic Park movies, please don't kill me. Wasn't it only the first one that was really good though?
Independence Day 2

Really? Ugh, Independence Day is getting close to classic now and they are going to try and ruin it with a 2?
Terminator 5

They made a 4?
James Bond 24

I think it will be good. Judging from the last James Bond it will be like a reboot, some new cast and everything. I have always liked James Bond. They do a good job.
Mission Impossible 5

Milking I think. Not high standards for this movie but it would be a movie that would be good to watch if you just want some good action fun.

I knew this was in the works right after the first one. Seeing how 3D movies didn't catch on though and the first one was well just cool because of the 3D I don't see it being huge.
Ice Age 5

They made a 4?

I am going to stop for now and then make another post later for the other sequels.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Are you referring to the Clone Wars series (which I don't think is canon) or milking the franchise for as much as possible? Because I believe all new Star Wars movies will take place after the original trilogy anyways and the only thing that would be ignored is definitively non-canon EU books.

I think the Clone Wars series is regarded as canon, as are most EU books and some of the games (edutainment ones excluded I believe).

~~~Darth Caedus
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Ice Age 5

They made a 4?

The one with the monkey pirate was the 4th one.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Terminator 5

They made a 4?

The one with Christian Bale, Salvation.

5 is supposed to be a reboot I believe.

~~~Darth Caedus
Charlie506
Charlie506
1,298 posts
Nomad

Minions.

Uh.. anyone?

http://wallpaprezt.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Banana-Minions-Despicable-Me-2-HD-Wallpaper.jpg

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Iron man 2, and iron man 3, were so frikin corny. not hating, just relating

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I usually don't like sequels because they're often made for the only purpose of making more money rather than telling a good story. It also kills the originality.

I did enjoy the Star Wars sequels as well as the Star Trek ones because I like the characters and their stories. I mean come on, Yoda and Darth Vader are epic characters. Spock ,captain Kirk and engineer Scotty are epic as well because they are the ultimate team (in my opinion) that represents the entire concept of technology vs space exploration vs races and species, etc.

I also like the sequels from the original Planet of the Apes, even though every new movies were produced on a smaller budget each time.
The acting was good enough to carry the entire series.
I didn't care for part 3 though.
Part 4 made sense because it explained how Cesar became the ruler. The last movie was also relevant to complete the circle.

I think that if the story is good, well told and contain strong characters played by good actors, it can work.

There are some exceptions though.

The Fast and Furious series is good, not because of the great acting (because it's not) but for
the cool cars, the races, stunts, fast paced action, and the hot girls.

Can you imagine if there were no sequels to James Bond?
All those maniacs, gadgets, stunts, races, destruction, cars, and babes we would have missed!

In conclusion, sequels can work sometimes.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

I just wanna say that the worst sequels ever made was Iron Man 2 and 3.
I also want to say that the best sequels to me were a part of the Godfather Trilogy.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Iron Man 2 and 3 were good though.. There have been many movie sequals that were much much worse.

Showing 16-27 of 27