Are gamers RUINING video games?

Posted Apr 8, '14 at 5:54am

Nerdsoft

Nerdsoft

1,283 posts

Another example would be Minecraft

ROBLOX
Blockland
Not linking to Infiniminer because Notch said that was an inspiration. The point is, voxel-based building games came about way before Minceraft.

Posted Apr 8, '14 at 10:30am

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

5,547 posts

Something rather interesting whilst checking the CoD:Ghosties forums (to see how they felt about that awful game) and some people had figured out that IW had been balancing based on the MLG players were saying, not everyone else. They noticed that there was a gun that nobody used anyway, but one (or more?) of the competitive players said that it was OP so IW nerfed it. CoD now listens to only the competitive players now and everyone hates that because now people can only really have fun on them if they're playing with friends.

~Manly

Posted Apr 8, '14 at 11:32am

09philj

09philj

2,535 posts

If you innovate and get it right, you have a license to print money. If you innovate and get it wrong, you have wasted all your budget and effort. If you don't bother to innovate in an established franchise, chances are you will have a license to print money. Thus, mostly only indie developers innovate because the losses in the event of failure are lower.

Posted Apr 8, '14 at 12:18pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

3,175 posts

Something rather interesting whilst checking the CoD:Ghosties forums (to see how they felt about that awful game) and some people had figured out that IW had been balancing based on the MLG players were saying, not everyone else. They noticed that there was a gun that nobody used anyway, but one (or more?) of the competitive players said that it was OP so IW nerfed it. CoD now listens to only the competitive players now and everyone hates that because now people can only really have fun on them if they're playing with friends.
If they're selling it as a competitive game, then yes, they should balance around the top. Why? Because the top actually knows the game well and doesn't make stupid mistakes like noobs do.

This is what I like about Blizz, while they do sometimes listen to QQ, they usually do so only after collecting a lot of data from pro player matches.

p.s. I am not saying pros wouldn't have bias, but they're matches are more likely to prove imbalance than low level ffa.

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Apr 18, '14 at 10:36pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

3,175 posts

Another interesting episode in the series.

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Nov 12, '14 at 8:56am

231terminator

231terminator

92 posts

i think gamers are ruining video games in some cases like the naval strike dlc, ya kno wat the guy earlier in this post said. but some games couldnt improve without our input as well

Posted Nov 16, '14 at 10:32am

The_Russian3768

The_Russian3768

35 posts

id say its both player in game maker who are ruining games, do we need a new game as often as we get them? I do not think we do... but that's not what the companies or the player base think.

They need to take a break from games longer before making a new one, because correct me if im wrong but most people are getting sick of innovation and if they do not innovate? Would you like to eat the same thing year round for year's?

Posted Nov 18, '14 at 3:33pm

jdguy99

jdguy99

58 posts

One problem i see with this, is maybe not that games are ruining games, but gamers may be ruining the overall experience related to games.

just a recent example....the Release of the flash game Gemcraft Chasing Shadows. There was a tentative release date, followed by an update saying it wasnt ready, this was followed by lots of angry posting by players verbally abusing the developer. this cycle occurred about 3 times, with the abuse getting worse and worse each time.

It feels like the gaming community is getting so entitled, that if their expectations arent met, its fair game to direct abuse at the developers. I have seen articles ( not just in reference to games, but to movies as well) where the developers are scared to delay a project, even if they think it would result in a better product, because of how angry the fans would be.
Its not our right to get a game or movie or what ever on a certain date. its not our right to abuse the developers when there are delays. its our right to spend our money where we chose, and if we are not happy with a product or developer, we dont have to pay to get their product. but the entitlement of gamers in this way feels likes its ruining gaming. i am not saying the developers are always right, they are lots of bad games or games with bad features or whatever.

But perhaps more people should try to put out their own product if they think they can do better.

Reply to Are gamers RUINING video games?

You must be logged in to post a reply!