ForumsGamesGemcraft: CS Quick tips

48 18933
blackpaladin
blackpaladin
75 posts
Shepherd

I noticed a lot of people are having a hard time with the new installment in the Gemcraft series. The comment section is full of people saying that it is a lot harder than previous versions, personally I am blazing through most of the levels even with traits on so I decided to give some quick tips. These are no advanced strategy's or anything close, they are for people who are having a lot of trouble.

First of all, find a balance to the amount of skill points you spend. Unspend skill points give a mana boost at the start of a level wich is very important. I have curently spend 10% of my skill points to give an example.

For the beginning of each level, try to make 3 gems of about the same grade, the way I go about doing this is to create 3 grade 2 gems and then upgrade them one by one untill you run out of mana, I recommend gems with 2 components because of the damage boost for the earlier waves, If a field has more than 40 waves you should try to mix in a third gem from the start. I recomend to combine damage enchancing gems in your "main defence" (Chain hit, multiple damage, bloodbound, poulbound.) Try to start of with these kind of gems.

I don't think traps are very usefull in the early game, so stay away from them.

If you notice your gems are one hit killing all monsters you should not upgrade your gems but duplicate them and place them in extra towers. This helps out a lot for those swarm levels. In order to master the game, you will need to learn to understand when to upgrade your gems, and when to create more gems of the same grade.

It is a good idea to have one gem 1 or 2 grades higher then your other gems at all times, this gem should be placed around the middle of the path, with your lower grade gems in front of it. Always place this gem in a tower which has the most path covered within its range.

If there is room on the track, use your walls to build a maze! This is very important, train yourselve to do this in every level. A great defence begins with a great maze!

Keep an eye out for the waves to come, hover over them now and again to check the hp and armor levels of the monsters. If you notice a fast increase in HP, you should stay on your toes at all times. If you see high armor, you should consider placing poison or armor tearing gems in traps.

Keep empty towers behind your main defence, if a wave of giant monsters survives your main defence, you can quickly swap the place of your strongest gems to keep attacking! Try to only move 1 or 2 gems around to the back, otherwise you will lose fire power towards the front and be quickly overwhelmed.

Know when to upgrade your gems. In the middle of a swarm level for example is a very bad idea. Try to estimate the amount of fire power you lose in the time it is upgrading. Don't upgrade al your gems at the same time unless it is evident that they will recharge and kill the monsters in time. If you are having trouble killing giants, you can upgrade your gems, giants are slow enough to make it work. Combine this with the empty towers you have towards your back for less trouble with the giants.

Learn the target priority of your gems. Closest to orb is a great default, but when you get overhwelmed you have to change the target priority of your gems to survive.
-If swarmlings are tanking the damage for the reavers, you should put 1 or 2 gems on the strongest target.
-If giants are getting through, have your armor reduction, poison and highest grade gem set to giants. Clicking a giant can get rid of them fairly quick, but keep in mind that nothing else will be targeted!

Most importantly, have fun with the game, because it is great

• 48 Replies
Phoenix93
Phoenix93
2 posts
Nomad

at first I thought the shadow cores would ruin the game, but I noticed that the amount of shadow cores you get scales as you level up, now i get more shadow cores than I could ever use (up to 12k in a single endurance run at lv 6690)

at lv 1000 you get about 300 shadow cores per shade, so don't worry too much about them, use your shadow cores to boost the difficulty on low levels and you'll get hundreds of thousands of exp points and if you paid the 5usd you can get a few trillion exp points in endurance when you're around lv 500 and skip right to lvl 6000

the best setup I found for endurance is orange-red-white in a trap and yellow-white-red in tower surounded by amps, amping the trapped gem is optional. You'll have horrible lag once the trap gem reaches high grades but you'll get trillions of mana so hang in there, don't over do it though, when the chain (red gem special effect) of the gem in the trap reaches 1 million hits it risks to crash your game!

anexoticllama
anexoticllama
8 posts
Nomad

PSA: Amplifiers unlock at D5

LiquidKryptonite
LiquidKryptonite
30 posts
Jester

PSA: Amplifiers unlock at D5

You're wrong. D5 unlocks the Demolition skill.
drewg22
drewg22
24 posts
Shepherd

@anexoticllama D5 gave me demolition skill

boobelessb
boobelessb
8 posts
Nomad

Now that the orb damage upgrade is gone, anyway know a decent way to progress through levels? As the current iteration of GC doesn't allow for grinding xp. Nor has it enough levels to simply outgrind content. Constantly have to play the game at a snail's pace and micromanage everything >_>

drewg22
drewg22
24 posts
Shepherd

Amps unlock at J4 but you have to curse skill at G2 first

Ell1e
Ell1e
15 posts
Scribe

My emergency tip: If you absolutely can't beat a level, use the orblets trait. Not only does this give you a huge increase in mana gain, it also turns GemCraft into Don't Touch My Gems. The monsters won't get banished, costing no mana, and you have the whole way back to kill them. Of course, this costs a good amount of shadow cores.

Generally, I agree with what blackpaladin says: Unused skillpoints are the way to go. The mana boost at the beginning can get you several extra gems or allow you to start with higher level gems. I currently have the general skills (building cost, mana gain, gem cost, gem damage) at my level, as well as two gem attributes. If I need to, I can always put more points in, but this setup gives me enough mana for two or three lv 3 gems plus towers.

As for gem types, armor tear + chain hit seems like the best combo so far. Both skills get unlocked early on and the gems show up reliably in I guess the first half of the game.

boobelessb, have you tried grinding for achievements? Seeing as they give one skill point each, you might want to look through them and see if there's any you can get.

lolisito
lolisito
38 posts
Farmer

Quote ; Blackpaladin

"First of all, find a balance to the amount of skill points you spend. Unspend skill points give a mana boost at the start of a level wich is very important. I have curently spend 10% of my skill points to give an example."

Wow , Thank you , No wonder I had such hard time advancing .....

LiquidKryptonite
LiquidKryptonite
30 posts
Jester

Sometimes, when I try to charge one of the Nodes on K3, the % charged decreases. Is this because I killed the monsters while they were frozen?

imdragonreborn
imdragonreborn
11 posts
Nomad

"As for gem types, armor tear + chain hit seems like the best combo so far. Both skills get unlocked early on and the gems show up reliably in I guess the first half of the game."

As far as I can tell, chain hit will never unlock for people that don't pay for 'remium', or whatever it's called.

"My emergency tip: If you absolutely can't beat a level, use the orblets trait."

Also not available without premium purchase. The game seems pretty tough without those talents, as maps without chain hit gems base will never have chain hit gems.

Personally, I still plan on getting this on Steam, so, don't care that it's much harder to advance now. Perhaps some people should advise tips for those that haven't purchased the premium package.

Mob1us
Mob1us
3 posts
Blacksmith

i need some help with g2 cant get my tower to kill the mobs around the tome... tower gets to strong and kills everything before it gets there

boobelessb
boobelessb
8 posts
Nomad

Ell1e, not everybody bought gemcraft. So I'd rather have something to beat the game in a normal sense, without buying. Since the entire game just feels unnecessarily difficult to force people towards buying.

xvxslave
xvxslave
2 posts
Peasant

Does anyone have any tips for J2? I've been trying to beat it for probably close to 2 hours now, and it keeps kicking my butt. I'm level 39 right now, and have premium

TheLaw118
TheLaw118
30 posts
Nomad

Any early stages that are good "farming" for cores? I find myself constintly lacking cores to do challanges. Tried the old going ack on older staeges to get better score, only problem is I lack the cores to up the diff

TheLaw118
TheLaw118
30 posts
Nomad

theres no edit button that i can see Anyone know what reset achivements actually does? Does it lock everything, so you can get the skill points again, or does it take the skill points back thath you had earned from achievements?

Showing 1-15 of 48