ForumsThe TavernQuestions About How You Use Microwave Ovens

11 6614
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

I have a few questions about how you use microwave ovens.

Question 1
When microwaving food for exactly 1 minute (60 seconds), how do you type that into your microwave? Do you press 1-0-0 (for 1:00, 1 minute) or do you pres 6-0 (for 0:60, 60 seconds)?

Question 2
Does your microwave oven allow you to put in times like 1:90 (standing for 1 minute 90 seconds and equivalent to 2 minutes and 30) and have you ever microwaved food using this input method?

(If your microwave does allow for inputs like 1:90 does it display the time as 1:90 or change it to 2:30?)

Additional Statements
I know that most microwaves have different interfaces that function in different ways, so these question may not apply to your microwave. I have even used a microwave with a turn dial that started instantly when you turned the dial to the proper time. If my questions don't apply you can say so and then state how your microwave works.

My answers.
For question 1, I almost always put in 1:00 (I press 1, 0, and 0 again on the keypad). I know it would (most likely) be quicker to press 6-0, but I tend to see 1 minute as 1:00 more readily than 0:60, so use the 1:00 input.

For question 2, I have never put in a time such as 1:90 or 2:70 (except only to test it out). My microwave allows such times to be entered and microwave doesn't correct the time to the more standard minute and second display. So 1:90 will stay and countdown as 1:90, 1:89, 1:88, etc.
I think most people wouldn't bother with putting times like 1:90 because it requires additional mathematics to be done in your head.

The reason I ask these question is because the first question is like a peak into someones mind and a test to see which method of input is more common. I personally did not give much thought to entering 1 minute by pressing 6 and then 0 on my microwave, It almost came natural for me to put in 1:00. This made me wonder if some people almost always put in 60 seconds and never give thought to entering 1 minute (1 then 0 and then 0 again).

• 11 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

1. I press 1 because each number equates to x number of minutes (different setting for specific times, like 5:37).

2. Yes, and yes. I do that all the time because fractions suck when all you want is a **** plate of Pizza Rolls. :P

What a curious topic Reton....

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

Question 1: I used to be able to just hit a button that said "1 Minute" and it would work great, because the only four buttons were "10 Minutes", "1 Minute," "10 Seconds," and "1 Second". Well, the time buttons, anyway, because there's always "Timer", "Power," "Stop/Clear", and a few different settings. But now I've got a weird new microwave that I have no idea how it works because there's a number pad and lots of different buttons and a spinny thing inside the microwave that I have no idea what it does, so I have to ask my sister to help.
Question 2: With my old microwave, it was possible to input 1:90 or 2:70, though I never do now. I used to love punching in numbers greater than 60 and stare at it in fascination and try to convince my mom the microwave was broken for some reason...but that was years ago, so I don't know. Plus, this new microwave I also don't understand.
Wheew.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I find that, since aluminum is an excellent conductor of heat, my soup heats up faster in the microwave when I leave it in the can.

(If your microwave does allow for inputs like 1:90 does it display the time as 1:90 or change it to 2:30?)

Couldn't it also change it to 3:10, the equivalent of 190 seconds? I guess it depends on how the microwave is programmed to "think".

I've always done 1:00. 60 seems impractical in relation to longer times. You wouldn't press "120" for two minutes. I'd suspect most microwaves would recognize that as 1:20, and your food would come out 40 seconds too cold.
CherryCoke360
CherryCoke360
407 posts
Nomad

When microwaving food for exactly 1 minute (60 seconds), how do you type that into your microwave? Do you press 1-0-0 (for 1:00, 1 minute) or do you pres 6-0 (for 0:60, 60 seconds)?

1-0-0 but i dont know why. just the way i was raised to do it.

Does your microwave oven allow you to put in times like 1:90 (standing for 1 minute 90 seconds and equivalent to 2 minutes and 30) and have you ever microwaved food using this input method?

Hahaha why would i ever test that out? xp
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Couldn't it also change it to 3:10, the equivalent of 190 seconds?

Close lol, but its not 190 seconds, it's the display of the microwave clock showing 1:90 as in 1 minute 90 seconds or 150 seconds. :]
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

The notation you use doesn't actually matter. Here's the real problem:

dilbert.com

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Why input a lengthy amount of time when your food is instantly cooked when you add a bit of solid Ferrous? If it starts shooting sparks and smoking, you did it wrong.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

My microwave does work that way, but I don't use it in that manner.

It's got several options on heating, cooking, reheating, melting, etc. foods that I use those pre-determined options when I use the microwave.

The only info I put in is how I want to cook it and the quantity (cups, ounces, etc).

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

The only info I put in is how I want to cook it and the quantity (cups, ounces, etc).

You have some high tech microwave LOL. You actually use it correctly.

NOT ME! I just push the 30 sec button 4 times for everything. Two minutes is more then enough to cook/ruin/char/boil/destroy/explode anything. =D

Besides that, my microwave never starts at a minute if you punch in 60. It will start at 59.
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

You have some high tech microwave LOL. You actually use it correctly.

It isn't, really. It's your average, run-of-the-mill microwave. I just use the functions.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

Close lol, but its not 190 seconds, it's the display of the microwave clock showing 1:90 as in 1 minute 90 seconds or 150 seconds.

Yes, I got that....but I was wondering if, since a microwave reads 60 as one minute, couldn't certain poorly-programmed microwaves theoretically be able to mistake 1:90 for 190 seconds?
Showing 1-11 of 11